1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grim Dawn Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jan 2, 2015.

• by booman, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Grim Dawn is an action hack-n-slash created by the makers of Titan Quest. Slaughter minions and bosses in a dark fantasy world of exploration, loot, hacking, slashing and a lot of skills! Do not miss this game! You will love the AAA experience from a small indie team who are very talented and passionate about Action RPG's!

grimdawn97.png

grimdawn96.png

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing Grim Dawn in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the Steam version of Grim Dawn. Other versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Mint 17 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.6
    Wine: 1.7.39staging

Wine Installation

Note: Versions of Wine older than 2.0.2 and Wine 2.12-staging no longer work with Steam

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Wine 1.7.39staging is installed and you can close this window

Downloading Steam

Go To: http://www.steampowered.com
    Click Install Steam
    grimdawn01.png

Do not click "Install Steam Now"
    It will automatically install Linux Steam. Since Grim Dawn isn't made for Linux, we will download the Windows Steam instead.
    click "Windows" under the green button
    grimdawn02.png

Navigate to your desktop
    Click Save
    grimdawn03.png

Setup PlayOnLinux

Launch PlayOnLinux
    Click Install
    grimdawn04.png

Click "install a non-listed program"
    grimdawn05.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive"
    Click Next
    grimdawn07.png

Name you virtual drive: grimdawn
    Click Next
    grimdawn08.png

Select all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some libraries
    Click Next
    grimdawn09.png

Select Wine 1.7.39staging
    Click Next

Select "32 bits windows installation"
    Click Next
    grimdawn11.png

Configure Wine

Applications Tab
    Windows Version: Windows 7
    Click Apply
    grimdawn12.png

Graphics Tab
    Check: Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows
    Check: Emulate a virtual desktop
    Desktop size: 1024x768
    Click Ok
    grimdawn13.png

Install Libraries

Check the following libraries:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_d3dx9
    • POL_Install_tahoma
    • POL_Install_vcrun2010
    • POL_Install_vcrun2012
    Click Next
    grimdawn14.png
    Note: vcrun2015 will be installed later in PlayOnLinux configure

Installing Steam

Click Browse
    grimdawn15.png

Navigate to your desktop
    Select: SteamSetup.exe
    Click Open
    grimdawn16.png

Click Next

Click Next

Check: I accept the license...
    Click Next

Click Next

Click Next

Click Install

Click Finish

More downloading, updating, extracting and installing
    grimdawn25.png

When Steam is done installing the login screen will pop up. You probably won't see any text because there is a font bug.
    Click the "X" to close Steam login
    grimdawn26.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select Steam.exe
    Click Next
    grimdawn27.png

Name your shortcut: Grim Dawn
    Click Next
    grimdawn28.png

Click Next

PlayOnLinux Configure

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Click Configure
    grimdawn29.png

General Tab
    Wine version: 1.7.39staging
    Arguments: -no-dwrite -no-cef-sandbox
    This fixes the missing font and store problem
    grimdawn32.png

Display Tab
    Video Memory Size: Select the size of Memory your video card/chip uses
    grimdawn33.png

Installing vcrun2015

Note: vcrun2015 has to be installed before first launch of Grim Dawn. Otherwise the game installs vcrun2015 for you and breaks Wine. If you accidentally launch Grim Dawn one time, you will have to delete the virtual drive and start over from the beginning.

Miscellaneous Tab
    Click "Open a Shell"
    Copy/Paste:
    Code:
    wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
    Press Enter

Copy/Paste
    Code:
    chmod +x winetricks
    Press Enter

Copy/Paste
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/grimdawn ./winetricks -q vcrun2015
    Press Enter

Note: Replace "username" with your login

Close Shell

Close Configure

Launching Steam

Select Grim Dawn
    Click Run
    grimdawn34.png

Click "Login to existing account"
    grimdawn36.png

Login
    grimdawn37.png

Steam Overlay

Steam overlay has been known to cause problems launching games.
    Click Steam menu
    Click Settings
    grimdawn38.png

Select "In-game"
    Uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game"
    Click OK
    grimdawn39.png

Installing Grim Dawn

Click Library
    Select Grim Dawn
    Click Install
    grimdawn40.png

Click Next
    grimdawn41.png

Click Next
    grimdawn42.png

Click Finish
    grimdawn43.png

Wait while Grim Dawn downloads

Click Play
    grimdawn44.png

Optimization

Click Options
    grimdawn45.png

Click Video
    Change Window Mode to Fullscreen
    Select Resolution to match your Linux Desktop

Adjust:
    Anti-aliasing
    Anisotropic Filtering
    Texture
    Shadows
    Detail Level
    Reflections
    fX
    Lighting
    Weather

Enable/Disable:
    Vertical Sync
    Triple Buffering
    Detail Objects
    Post Processing
    Depth of Field
    Soft Particles

Click OK to apply settings
    grimdawn46.png

Rule of Thumb:
    High settings = More detail, lower frame rates
    Low settings = Less detail, higher frame rates

Conclusion:
    Grim Dawn didn't have too many problems with my GeForce 550 Ti. Tested with Wine 1.7.39 staging and now everything runs beautifully with hardly any lag. There were a few times when the game slowed down because of all the minions in the screen. Lowering the anti-Alias and Anisotropic filtering helped. I also tried adjusting fX and Lighting to produce better performance while it didn't affect the visuals. There were a few occurrences where my character had invisible texture upon loading. Quitting the game and launching again would fix this problem.

Texture/Font Bugs:
    There is some texture reload issues in Grim Dawn that can be resolved by adding launch option in Steam:
    Code:
    /d3d9
    To fix any missing textures:
    1. Configure
    2. Wine Tab
    3. Registry
    4. Navigate to
      Code:
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
    5. right-click Direct3D
    6. Select New
    7. String Value
    8. Name:
      Code:
      CheckFloatConstants
    9. Value: enable

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:
    grimdawn80.png

grimdawn81.png

grimdawn85.png

grimdawn87.png

grimdawn88.png

grimdawn89.png

grimdawn91.png

grimdawn94.png

grimdawn95.png
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    HTC and Grantuu like this.
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jan 2, 2015.

1. HTC
    It's my only game: sorry!

About the FloatConstants: did i do it correctly?

i64.tinypic.com/e824q8.png

I hadn't done this reg edition until today but, because of the glitching, i can't check if it fixed the portals or not.

This glitching started happening 2 days ago: before that, the game was quite playable. Not anymore :(

How do i go about forcing DX9? I don't see that option anywhere :(
  2. booman
    Nope, create a new String Value in the Direct3D folder
    Name it:
    Code:
    CheckFloatConstants
    Then enter:
    Code:
    enable
    I'm glad you asked... I recently added the force direct x 9 because I just found out about it. Open Steam and right-click Grim Dawn. Go to Properties and look for launch options
    When you open the launch options, enter
    Code:
    /d3d9
  3. HTC
    About the FloatConstants thing:

i63.tinypic.com/34g6ovb.jpg

Doesn't allow to give the value "enable" since it's either decimal or hexadecimal only: i must be doing something wrong.

On the bright side, i had the game running just fine, before going to sleep: played for about 30 minutes or so and the portals displayed properly.

But it didn't last ... just tried to play the game again and the damn glitching is back :( This was with the "/d3d9" set, btw: tried without it but got the same result, so i put it back again.

DAMN :(
  4. HTC
    This is what i mean with glitching (believe it or not, it was worse then this earlier):

Installed the screen recorder just to record this little bit.

I even went as far as installing the game without PoL (somehow managed to pull it off) because, from the very 1st time i installed the game, and it played correctly @ the time, PoL always crashed while stating that, if the game was running, i should just click next, which is what i always did. Since the game still glitches even though PoL was purged from my system, the problem is not PoL related.

I had suspected it was because of Oibaf's package, which is why i gave Padoka a try but, since it has the same problem, that's not it either.

What the hell is wrong???? DAMN :(
  5. booman
    That is my fault. Create a new string value, not DWORD. Sorry about that.
    I was going off of memory.
    I'll have to check my setup at home to be absolutely sure.

6. HTC
    I see: thanks for the clarification.

Yesterday i managed to play the game for about 3 hours: everything looked great (no portal issues), right until i exited the game.

I then proceeded to check "sudo apt update" and sure enough, i had 35 upgrades pending, which i performed with "sudo apt upgrade". A bit later, tried to resume gaming ... and the glitch was back ... but worse ...

That was with a clean 16.04 install, without PoL. All i had installed was:

Wine latest staging
    Winetricks
    Oibaf PPA
    Grim Dawn
    SabNZBdPlus
    VLC stable branch
    Ukuu, but had not yet updated the kernel

Just installed Ubuntu 17.10: gonna try, yet again ...

Since this problem started, i've un-installed / (re-)installed the game @ least 20 times, and Ubuntu itself (16.04) about a dozen times too :(
  7. HTC
    UPDATE

It seems i figured out the problem: tried installing without PoL just as i had in 16.04 but i got stuck @ Steam's login screen without being able to enter anything so i opted to do it by way of PoL, which went just fine and ...

The game glitched again ...

So i tried something i had never tried before: use the built in graphic drivers instead of Oibaf's or Padoka's and, right away i noticed that i had 35 packages to downgrade ... 35 ... that number sounded familiar ... so i went ahead, purged Oibaf's PPA, upgraded (downgraded actually, LOL) and rebooted ...

And success: the game's OK again, @ least for now! Hope it stays that way.

I know performance will be affected but @ least i can play the game properly!
  8. booman
    I had a feeling it was driver related. Thank you for the video, that really showed me what your symptoms were like. I never had those type of symptoms... ever.

Sad that drivers effect games so dramatically. Wine games are effected by so much as well. Specially games like Grim Dawn that are still in development.

Older games are easier because if you get them working, it will always work.
  9. HTC
    I bought GOG's version + Crucible (for now) but i'm having problems setting this up.

I thought i could use this guide and change just Steam's installer for GOG's but i can't do it that way: always crashes while installing and i dunno how to get around that.

I did manage to install the game when i selected the game's installer instead of GOG's installer but that opened up another can of worms because, even though i got the installer from Galaxy's page, it has an icon on the virtual drive to install Galaxy, which i can't use because the game launches right away ... which ain't bad by itself but ... even though i have one of the DLCs, it doesn't let me install it ..., which means i messed up somewhere but i'm having trouble figuring out how to fix it.

This is my one and only game from GOG: i'm a complete noob concerning setting up GOG.
    booman likes this.
  10. booman
    One thing I noticed when downloading from GOG, they will link to the games original installers and Galaxy installers. Its confusing I know, but try this.

Initially when you go to Download Grim Dawn you see this
    grimdawn01.JPG

At the bottom it describes that this installer "included GOG Galaxy..."
    Click "More"
    Now click "Classic Installers"
    You should be able to install Grim Dawn like in our guide with these installers"
    grimdawn02.JPG
    HTC likes this.
  11. HTC
    But doesn't that make it so Galaxy isn't installed? From what i read, that means i will have to re-install the whole thing when updating patches, no?

What i was trying (and failing miserably) was to use your (this) Steam guide and replacing the Steam setup.exe by GOG Galaxy setup exe: that didn't work @ all :(

Under Steam DLCs are automatic, once set up to be included. Since i can't access GOG's program the same way, i can't set up the DLC.
    booman likes this.
  12. booman
    Yes, and the Galaxy client doesn't work in Wine anyways. So its better this way. GOG usually provides the patches separately.
    As far as I can tell, the main Grim Dawn campaign is finished, so you won't have to re-install the whole game. But they may add patches later on.

I should probably create a new Grim Dawn guide with the GOG installer
    HTC likes this.
  13. HTC
    If i may add a small suggestion, in the following section of the guide:

[​IMG]
    The virtual drive name may not always be "grimdawn".

I just made a fresh install (Ubuntu 18.04) and named the virtual drive "Steam_grimdawn". Was following the guide as per usual but it was messed up: took a bit to figure out what i was doing wrong and the virtual drive's name was "the culprit".

As for GOG's version, managed to install 1.0.5.1 using your suggestion from reply #20 (picked Outlaw's guide for this) but, like before, i can't install Crucible. How do i add a DLC to GOG's version under linux?
    booman likes this.
  14. booman
    Hmm, I don't have crucible, but normally if an expansion is a separate installer, you can do this:
    1. Open PlayOnLinux
    2. Click Configure
    3. Select game (left side)
    4. Click Miscellaneous Tab
    5. Click "Install an .exe in this virtual drive"
    6. Select the installer
    7. Follow instructions
    This normally works for patching and installing expansions, but sometimes an installer requires dotnet or vcrun. So if it fails, put the .exe in the virtual drive "drive_c" directory, Then make a shortcut to it and run it with debug. This way you can see the errors.
    HTC likes this.
  15. HTC
    Success!!!!!! I'll do the same to AoM once i purchase it, which i haven't, yet.

One thing i noticed, and this goes for the Steam version as well: whenever i install vcrun2015 using your instructions, it always changes the windows type in the virtual drive from windows 7 to XP, and i always change it back to 7 when it finishes. Am i doing the right thing?

Another thing, and this pertains to the GOG version: had this happen the 1st time i managed to install the GOG version and also the 2nd time (was still version 1.0.5.1). The game starts locking before entering the menu area, with Crate's logo on the bottom right getting stuck, and i have to exit the game by alt-tab and exit the virtual drive.

This only happens after rebooting the PC as i can enter and leave the game's menu just fine until then. No idea what's wrong.

Hopefully, since i removed and re-installed the virtual drive to make way for version 1.0.6.0, with which i finally managed to install Crucible (also 1.0.6.0, ofc), this won't happen.

EDIT

Purchased AoM expansion and installed it using your method and it works for AoM too. Played a bit with my main char just now.

Haven't rebooted, yet: hopefully, it won't start locking up like with version 1.0.5.1.
    booman likes this.
  16. booman
    I haven't installed Grim Dawn in a while, but I don't remember it locking before the menu. In the past I've experienced buggy fonts and missing graphics. Like invisible textures.

I'm glad it works for the expansions! This is great news. I plan to purchase them during a sale eventually.
    I totally prefer the GOG version over Steam.
    Thanks to testing the expansions and GOG version. I will eventually create a new guide just for the GOG version and we'll be set
    HTC likes this.
  17. HTC
    Just tested: no locking up.

YES!!!!!!!

I noticed yesterday that some monsters occasionally suddenly become more of a red color: perhaps shifting to the red spectrum? Dunno! Not many, though: just a few here and there. I only played about 20 minutes or so, yesterday.

Off to play ...
  18. booman
    Hmm, haven't seen the red problem in a long time. That is probably a direct x related issue. There will always be minor bugs with Wine, but its amazing how well it DOES work.
    Good Job!
    HTC likes this.
  19. Lorena
    hello guys Im playing Grim Dawn (GOG Version) with all the expansion. Im using Vulkan (dxvk 1.7.2) that Daerandin helped me install. The game is awesome!!!! no problems with textures or things like that but.... The games freezes a lot during my gaming time, specially when I turn around camera (have to restart whole computer). Have the last nvidia drivers and everything - I saw is a common issue on their forums..
    Any magic trick to fix this issue Booman?????

Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia (64 bits)
    Cinnamon 4.4.8
    Kernel: 5.4.0-52-generic
    AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5, 6 Compute Cores 2C+4Gx1
    12 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2GB)
    booman likes this.
  20. booman
    Unfortunately no :(
    I am currently playing Grim Dawn with all the expansion in co-op with my wife. I don't have any delays with the camera movement, but if too many monsters attack in the screen all-at-once, it slows down a lot!

I even tried cranking down the graphics, but since I'm hosting it still slows down.
    I'm also using DXVK for Direct X 10/11 compatibility.