1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion of systemd adoption by Debian, openrc, sysvinit

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by ThunderRd, Nov 21, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    That is a good example, so you helping push her car got other people to help. In the process you helped one person, but show others how easy it is to stop what you are doing and give a helping-hand.

I think that is way better because its on a small scale. But what about a large scale? How one make a different across an entire nation when everyone has their "own way" "opinions" and "sense". Most people, including myself, are introverts and spend most their time at home, on the computer/smartphone or in their cubicle minding their own business. People are living their personal lives and only interact with a few other people each day, but have close relationships with them.
    There are other people who are more charismatic and enjoy meeting people all day, always talking to new people and their jobs are selling stuff, or connecting people... very extrovert. They usually have less intimate relationships and known by a lot of people.
    I have always preferred helping people on a small scale because it usually (not always) builds a relationship with them. Large scale stuff always seems like fragile, distant & superficial relationships that really won't last long term.

Its kinda ironic because I'm using my introvert personality to create guides that help thousands of people. So there is one example of both working together.
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Very often, what we do only impacts a few people around us, but just every once in awhile, something strikes a chord, and interesting things happen.

Do you think the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. set out to start a revolution on civil rights?
    Do you think the people who staged the 'Boston Tea Party' intended to start a war?
    Do you think William Wallace actively intended to start a revolt in Scotland?
    Do you think Linus Torvalds set out to create what we now know as Linux?

I put it to you that there are very, VERY few times in history where a person actively set out to start a movement. In ALMOST every case, when your intention is to CREATE a movement, you WILL FAIL, as a matter of historical fact.

Rather, the great turning points in history generally occur when the people are ripe for a change, but don't know what to do about it. Then one person actually DOES something, and the rest just kindof happens. Sometimes, it even turns out the way it was intended.

This is the heart of my point: we never know when we might do something that starts a revolution. That's why it is is so very important that we do what we know to be right; it's how revolutions start.

At the very least, it allows us to have a clear conscience so that we can honestly say "It's not my fault".
  3. booman

Home page:
    Very well said Gizmo!

This gives me hope and scares me at the same time. Mostly because "what is right" seems to only be per individual these days. We are slowly loosing a common moral.

So I hope if revolution comes it will be to rebuild what America began as... God fearing and family focused country.
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I hope we can evolve and put things right. Revolutions often end badly for all concerned--except for whoever/whatever replaces the powers that be. In their eyes only.
  5. booman

Home page:
    Sadly civilizations like ours has come to an end several times. The Bible mentions a few and even Egypt and the Roman Empire are examples. We destroy ourselves morally and enemies come in to take over.
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Empires do come to an end, and messily. What scares me the most is that many of the people we allow to be in charge are actually working toward a war with Russia. Everybody everywhere will lose or die in any WWIII we cause with the Russians.