1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Linux

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Zuldrak, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    Lolz, every time I think about 'asking nicely', I think of that scene in A Few Good Men when Tom Cruise and Nicholson are having lunch in Gitmo.

2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I can see where that could color one's sense of propriety. Of course this isn't your grandmothers sense of propriety!
  3. pinky

pinky New Member

and by m$ you mean ubuntu has become the W8 of the linux world -
    uninvited billboards on your operating system that link to pay sites.

would 100% recommend Arch for the same reasons as Debian
    or even free BSD if you really don't like getting viruses at all :p

[if you are a noob and you go arch, source a guru first, the forums/wiki eat your dreams]
  4. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I don't quite understand what you mean by that. The Arch forums provide excellent help, I have only had positive experience with those forums. And the wiki provides excellent guidance and is a great supplement to official documentation. I started out with Arch as a newbie with very little prior Linux experience. My sources of information and help were the wiki along with official documentation (man) as well as the Arch forums in a few rare cases.
  5. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    He's trolling. 3 of his 6 posts have included complaints about the Arch forum.

We're sorry you had a bad experience there, but we can't concur. I've been using Linux for 8 [9?] years now, often seek generic help on the Arch forum [even though I use Gentoo and Debian] and have never had a problem, even before I had any knowledge. I have found the forums there to be quite helpful, with none of the condescension of which you speak. Maybe you don't know how to ask a good question [giving all the required information, steps you've taken, etc?]

I will add that getting into Linux isn't for everyone. First, you have to READ. When you find a problem, DON'T rush to the forum and say 'I've installed foobar, and it doesn't work. Help me.' This will surely get you a snide answer or three. Do your homework. Find what you can, try the solutions, and after you fail to fix it, tell the forum what you've already done and ask for help.

The same applies here at GOL. We don't flip off the new users, we try to *cultivate* new Linux users, but we won't *coddle* them, either. We will hold back on simply answering your question if we feel you can benefit more by doing a little research on your own. This is the Linux way, and if you understand and accept that, you will go far. If you don't, well, Windows is for you.

I remember asking a question at the Folding@Home forum that related to Linux when I was a new user, and the response came, but only halfway. Then I was told, 'I think you can find out the rest of the solution by reading the man page.' At that time, I didn't even know what a man page was; but his direction put me on the right path permanently.

The bottom line is, please take your complaints about Arch elsewhere, no one here will feed trolls. If you want to be helped, just ask us for the help you need, without the complaints, and you will be well received.

PS, this document is a bit of overkill, but a lot of the information in it is relevant. You might find parts of it helpful with getting forum questions answered better:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    tsuparat and booman like this.
  6. pinky

pinky New Member

i posted my question in the subject line, got told i was ranting, and got a warning(s).
    my direct question was answered only in the form of thinly-veiled threats and warnings.
    my issue is with a large gap (for me) in the instruction guide for arch on uefi,
    making it seem like my issue should be as relevant to them as me, if not more.

i'm glad to hear that the reception is usually warmer over there and over here
    i will try to overcome the initial shock/dismay and pull up my socks and help.
    i actually kind of like answers that lead me to realise i already half knew what to do.
    i would like to be the kind of poster that does not leave newbies feeling like i do now.

MOD edit: html tags
    booman likes this.
  7. pinky

pinky New Member

thank you for the link. it's very verbose i agree but i'll get through it all as soon as i have time.
    the parts about info/entertainment and tact filters really put a smile on my face, after my encounter.

i also wanted to say thank you for the first words in your post directed specifically at me being ones of empathy.
    i think we are all equally busy with tasks of our own choosing, and i try treat those i make time for with respect.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Me? I got an actual certificate of excommunication from the church I first recived communion from.

So I tend to favor allowing past mis-adentures to be forgotten...even if they come cirtified.":O}
  9. Aremis

Aremis Member

Use manjaro or Netrunner.
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

The great people on GOL are more helpful than one might believe anyone could be. I'm still a Linux newbie and highly recommend Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I sure could use some help, please. I need to completely remove a VPN from my system. Having a difficult time with it. Seems there's a free VPN that comes with the Opera browser. That is NOT the problem. It's a bought and paid for VPN that refuses to work correctly. It's GOTTA be deleted, these folks are a dishonest bunch. Help would be greatly appreciated! Please.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ah....VPN?
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    I just realized that From the time I began in Windows "Stability" was a huge part of the conversation, and not just in hardware and software forums. You'd meet folks get to known them a bit and sooner or later it would come up.

"The last windows update trashed my system."!
    "The Windows drivers don't work and now I can't boot."

Then I hit NtFS and knew a long period where I never had to reinstall. Then MS began a series of attacks on it's own OS

I can remember admitting to having to reinstall from back-up or scratch a couple times a month...but I think it was actually more.

After I moved to Linux reinstalling became a sport with me. For me this willingness
    to accomplish little or nothing became the hallmark of both my future success and failure.

Reinstalling was the only hammer in my tool box when my reckless experimentations left my system in a mess.
    Now I don't even reinstall to a get a new release new release.

I have to admit the longest period of my experience was spent in asking others for free teck support.
    I got pretty good at installing Linux and starting over and really never got to much beyond that.

But Linux did and in particular Mint did get better, much, much better.... I almost never hear about system stability anymore.

I was successful because re-installing and coming to enjoy it allowed me to wait it out. I was waiting for Mint and I knew it had to come before long!

"It wasn't until corruption was ripe in the land was there any talk of loyal ministers."

I don't hear much talk of stable systems anymore.
  14. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    That's probably because, as you observe, stability (even in Windows-land) has improved. I occasionally have an update that breaks something in Linux (just as I do in Windows), but generally the issue is fixed within a couple of weeks or less. Windows takes a bit longer, but still the same result. One of the few things MS seem to have improved at.
  15. Aremis

Aremis Member

I have to assume you're in ubuntu because thats the only OS I know where the VPN menu's are. Otherwise the rest thats in CLI can be found on the archwiki.

In the network menu in the top bar, there should be something that says network connections. Whether thats in the VPN dropdown or something else I don't know. Maybe just go to VPN Connections. There, you should be able to go to VPN's and just delete the connection.

If you want a free VPN that works really well I recommend VPNBook.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    At last a post that's actually helpful, Thanks Armis.
    Aremis likes this.
  17. Aremis

Aremis Member

Its why I'm here.
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    I gathered ":O}
    Aremis likes this.
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much for your help, guys. I only sorta run Ubuntu, I have Mint Cinnamon 17.1 Err, that's Mint 17.3. Duurh. I have looked at nearly everything I have, but can't find anything that addresses Virtual Private Networks.
    Is reinstalling Mint 17.1 my only recourse? What about deleting Opera, then reinstalling it?
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    Screenshot from 2017-06-05 20-17-38.png I would first try to update in update manager. First update your present release, then open file or view, forget which and you'll see an offer to update you to Serena 18.1. you will lose nothing and gain some nifty new desktop art...it may or may not sole your problem, but that' where I'd start.

Mint has earned your trust, give 18.1 a chance.":O}