1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Linux

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Zuldrak, Sep 12, 2015.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you Dan. I reloaded/deleted/re-installed Opera. I think. They don't make the process real clear. The beauty is that the less than honest VPN seems to be gone, gone, gone. Me so happy! I don't have the energy to update Mint right now but I'm giving your suggestion plenty of consideration.
    Aremis likes this.
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Happy you found your solution!

The update to the new release is exactly like any other update, just a bit more interesting in out come...they still do it all for you, no choices to make, no points of uncertainty, they do it all.":O} .
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Three cheers for Mint!!!
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    Life is good!
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Are you still in 17.3? You do know that 18.2 was just released? not sure if you can just upgrade as I did from 18 and 18.1, to 18.2.

Others may see this differently but it is my belief that Mint keeps updating because they just keep getting better and they want you to get better as well.

Any time I run into a problem, like the Nvidia apt losing all my settings every time I rebooted. The first thing I try is updating my install from Mint.

Over time, update after update Mint has made all my problems...well They just go away. Leaving me with a whole big bunch of beautiful back grounds to try on.

I know your on the conservative side George. Nothing wrong with that. But you've let yourself become out dated.

If you have reservations they are a hold over from the past.

"My name's not Lisa my name is Jewelie"

I used that quote from the worst song I've ever heard to indicate just how very RETRO you've been!

This is not Windows, you don't have to defend yourself from new releases. Even better if a mistake is made you don't grow old waiting for MS to fix it...if they ever do.

Mint is created and maintained by celibate monks whose intense vision has narrowed to but one task! To keep George happy and well updated and protected.

If you don't believe me then you just killed a god damn fairly! LOL

"It's just so easy to fall in love"
    (Buddy Holly RIP)

I used that quote just because Buddy made thick framed glasses a white shirt and narrow tie cool again.
    Sing buddy's song and let it rip, update and see if that fixes your life...I'm beginning to think seeking enlightenment i a waste of your time. Just wait for the Mint update!

As far as I know and people who love me have told me this, I'm the only one who encounters other worldly problems that require priests and magicians in great number to solve. (Fortunately there are several in this forum.)

The way it works for the great unwashed is this...

You have a problem, but because have a life, you can be reasonably sure someone not encumbered by a life will have encountered that problem before you did.

There is no shame in this.

Then the lifeless ones complain to the monks at mint so that by the time you get to the problem they have put the fix up for grabs in Mint Update.

Good luck!
    (I decline all responsibility for this posting..I ....I just can't seem to help myself....I'll try updating again....I'm the only thing that Update manager has yet to fix...and possibly one or two to others...maybe 3 or 4 but no more than 5!!
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I suppose I am conservative in one or two ways. I will get around to ordering Mint 18.1 or 18.2 soonish. I like having the cd-rom or DVD-ROM handy.
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    Check out your Mint Update file. If you can update A notice asks you if you want to.
    It might only ask after you have just checked for updates, they want you up to date before up grading.
  8. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yeah, you can update from Mint 17.3 to Mint 18.2 as far as I know...
    I've upgraded from Mint 17.3 to Mint 18 and didn't have any problems. I always prefer a fresh install, but I didn't have a whole lot going on. Just a few games.

It should be available in your Update Manager.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

So far, Update Manager's alerts don't include any notice about updating to Mint 18.1 or 8.2. Just the same old little files about this 'n that.
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    George, you really don't need a disk when updating, Mint updates are very solid!

But if you like I can burn a copy for you?

I know your looking for stability and don't want to carp a good setup.
    Safety is most often found in the middle, where the most people are.

Update Manage IS the way Mint moves forward. Baring a hardware upgrade or disaster
    I have yet to see a reason for a fresh install.The whole idea behind this is to prevent folks from having to start over if they want the latest Mint.

After the update your desk top will be exactly a it was before But running on a new kernel.

A far as Team Mint is concerned Updating is (Best practice.)

Do you have a burner, a DVD?
    Would you like step by step update instructions Gizmo can help you!

Just kidding! LOL

I would be happy to show you. It's about three or four steps Then the download and install. If they ask if you want to keep your current kernel or install the new one., take the New one.

We both know that there are moments that bode danger and require the utmost in caution. But this isn't really one of them.
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    Just click on Edit, after you have done a normal update, Mint wants your OS updated BEFORE you upgrade.You will recognize it when you see.":O}
  12. booman

Home page:
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Wow, maybe I'll buck up what's left of my courage and do it. Thank you VERY much for your help with this!
  14. booman

Home page:
    No problem. Please post any questions or concerns. One thing I learned about Linux is that you don't have to update/upgrade everything! It will run pretty well regardless.
  15. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    To echo Daniel's comment here, I've been running Linux pretty solidly for the last decade, and I can't recall the last time I needed a CD to recover from something that the the upgrade procedure messed up.
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for your assistance, booman and Gizmo, and Daniel too!

Unfortunately, Edit in Update Manager doesn't have the "Update to Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya" in the drop down box.
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Did you update your current install first?

Install all 1,2 or 3 category updates. Then see if it shows up in "view".

Alas you may have to start over. The good news is that this maybe the last time..

Mint upgrades seem rock solid. Trust us there's no problem you can get into that we can't pull your ass back out 0f.
    Just a bunch of ones and Os You can do this George! Download 18. While it's doing that you can back up to another drive every thing you will want in your next Mint install.

I usually loose a half day, getting functional and another week getting comfortable.

I don't know how else to say this, this is fun because all mistakes can be corrected...just takes time.

You really could enjoy this you know! ":O}
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Update Manager sez I'm up to date. A small update(s) should come along soon. Thanks for the help!
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    If your happy, I'm happy!
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

The "H" word. Highly unusual. Thank you all the same!