1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League of Legends Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 18, 2013.

• by booman, Jul 18, 2013 at 5:20 AM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    league81.jpg

Call on your Summoner to battle along-side minions in the free-to-play MOBA. Level up, buy upgrades from the store and play cooperative with some friends. League of Legends has a lot of competitive action and fighting as you slaughter minions, turrets and Summoners.

League of Legends has received a lot of attention in the Linux world. WineHQ's and PlayOnLinux are constantly bombarded with questions on how to run it.

league87.jpg

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing League Of Legends in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the Official Website version of League Of Legends. Other versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Mint 17.3 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.10
    Wine: 1.8

Wine Installation

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Look for the Wine Version: 1.8
    Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Wine 1.8 is installed and you can close this window

Create Account
    Go To: https://login.leagueoflegends.com/
    Click "Create an Account"

Click preferred language
    league01.png

Fill out registration form
    Click "Play For Free"
    league02.png

Download League Of Legends Installer

LeagueOfLegendsBaseEUW (Europe West)
    http://l3cdn.riotgames.com/Installer/SingleFileInstall/LeagueOfLegendsBaseEUW.exe

LeagueOfLegendsBaseEUNE (Europe Nordic East)
    http://l3cdn.riotgames.com/Installer/SingleFileInstall/LeagueOfLegendsBaseEUNE.exe

LeagueOfLegendsBaseNA (North America)
    http://l3cdn.riotgames.com/Installer/SingleFileInstall/LeagueOfLegendsBaseNA.exe

Navigate to Desktop
    Click Save
    league03.png

PlayOnLinux Setup
    Launch PlayOnLinux
    Click Install
    league04.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    league05.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive"
    Click Next
    league07.png

Name the virtual drive: leagueoflegends
    Click Next
    league08.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some libraries
    Click Next
    league09.png

Select Wine 1.8
    Click Next
    league10a.png

Select "32 bits windows installation"
    Click Next
    league11.png

Wine Configuration

Applications Tab
    Windows Version: Windows XP
    league12.png

Graphics Tab
    Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
    Check "Emulate a virtual desktop"
    Desktop size: Enter resolution of Linux Desktop
    Click OK
    league13.png

PlayOnLinux Packages (Libraries, DLL's, Components)

Check the following:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_d3dx9
    • POL_Install_tahoma
    Click Next
    league14.png

Note: All packages should automatically download and install

Installing League of Legends

Click Browse

Navigate to your Desktop
    Select "LeagueOfLegendsBaseNA.exe"
    Click Open
    league16.png

Click Next again

Click Next
    league21.png

Check "I accept the terms..."
    Click Next
    league22.png

Select "Complete"
    Click Next
    league23.png

Click Install
    league24.png

Uncheck "Launch League of Legends"
    Click Finish
    league25.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select "lol.launcher.exe"
    Click Next
    league26.png

Name the shortcut: League Of Legends
    Click Next
    league27.png

Select "I don't want to make another shortcut"
    Click Next
    league28.png

PlayOnLinux Configure

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Select "League of Legends"
    Click Configure
    league29.png

General Tab
    Wine version: 1.8
    league30a.png

Note: Click the + to download other versions of Wine. Click the down-arrow to select other versions of Wine.

Display Tab
    Video memory size: Select the amount of memory your video card/chip uses
    league31.png

Close Configure

Launching League of Legends

Select League of Legends
    Click Run
    league32.png

Note: Click Debug to see errors and bugs

Click Accept
    league33.png

Click Accept
    league34.png

Updating & Patching
    league35.png

Peer to Peer disable
    Click the gear at the top right
    Uncheck "Allow Peer to Peer Transfer"
    league36.png

Click Launch
    league37.png

Login
    Check "Remember username"
    league38.png

Click Play
    league39.png

Optimization

Press Esc
    Click Options

Click Video

Adjust:
    • Resolution
    • Windowed Mode
    • Graphics Presets
    • Character Quality
    • Effects Quality
    • Environment Quality
    • Shadows
    • Character Inking
    • Frame Rate Cap
    • Anti-Aliasing
    • Wait for Vertical Sync
    Click Okay
    league40.png

league41.png

Conclusion:
    League of Legends runs even better with Wine 1.8 I've read you may experience better performance with Wine 1.8-staging as well. I had no problems with my GeForce 550 Ti 192-bit 1GB RAM.

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:
    league21.jpg

league82.jpg

league84.jpg

league27.jpg

league80.jpg

league89.jpg

league90.jpg

league87.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Wolfgang Dawson
    I'm still running into the same problem. I can start the client and login but the game won't load after I try to play a game, the screen just blacks out. Would virtual box help that problem?
  2. booman
    I am not familiar with primus and bumblebee.
    My Mint 16 (based on Ubuntu 13.10 Saucey) can run it just fine with Nvidia 319 drivers and Wine 1.7-LeagueOfLegends

Since you are using PlayOnLinux, we might need some more info on your configuration and how primus/bumblebee effects your hardware.
  3. booman
    That is so strange. I've never had problems installing and launching the game.
    I've tried several Wine versions and used Mint 13, 14 & 16.
  4. SonicMaster7773
    Been awhile, booman. How's the Linux install running? Someone had it going good on dual graphics on Lenovo's beast laptop Y510 back in january, just asked them for their install guide, it may still work. Found a fix for the RP store yet?http://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-8868.html
  5. SadSnipingStrife
    Hey, I'm pretty new to Linux but I'm a big LoL player, so I'd love to get it working. First off, thanks for the guide man, this is why the Linux community is so brilliant.

So here's my problem, it opens and I can log in fine, even go to champ select. So the first problem is, when I start up tutorials, I get the LoL logo, a black screen and then nothing for a while. Eventually the LoL cursor appears but then it just crashes after a little while longer, taking me back to the LoL client and giving me an empty error report. Weirdly customs work, which makes me think actual games would as well. More problems though :p

So the biggest problem is I have pretty much no graphics. I have a HUD but no icons, health bars but no minions or champs (unless I hover over them, then I get their outline) and the whole map is black. The other problem is that it won't go full screen, just to the full screen of the Wine desktop (1024:768) This means I can't quite see the bottom of the screen, which is a problem as it means I can't scroll down.

One thing I should probably mention: I'm running on a laptop without dedicated graphics. In the Wine config settings, I changed the number to default for graphics memory (where you put 2048). Does this mean it won't work at all do you think? :/
  6. booman
    First of all... can you play any other games on your laptop?
    It really sounds like a driver problem. What laptop do you have?
    What integrated video is it using? AMD, Nvidia, Intel

Using the virtual desktop is a good idea for testing and the Memory in PlayOnLinux configuration should be the amount that your video card uses. On laptops this can be misleading because there may be shared memory between the video and system RAM.
  7. SonicMaster7773
    Heh, you beat me to it, booman. Just got the email notification on my phone. I agree with it sounding like a driver problem, might not have one at all and linux is falling back on a universal one. Also, @SadSnipingStrife have you tried checking the settings after getting into the LoL match in custom? Maybe it is only on windowed?
  8. SadSnipingStrife
    Hey, yeah, I've played loads on it. I had some hard drive problems and I can't find my recovery discs, so I thought I'd give Linux a go. I've played LoL on it loads before I installed Linux. I've got Intel HD 3000. Yeah, I don't think the share is an 8 number :/
  9. booman
    Before Linux? So you mean in Windows correct?
    What other games have you played in Linux?
    I'm just checking because there are a few dependencies required to play games like proprietary drivers, 32-bit libraries, proper setup for PlayOnLinux.
  10. SadSnipingStrife
    Yeah, when I ran 7 Ultimate. Um, I've installed steam for linux and played some of my Linux-compatible games on there, such as FTL (Faster than light) and Starbound.
  11. SonicMaster7773
    You may be onto something with the proprietary drivers for Strife there, but in the interest on not wanting to reinstall the entire thing...

@booman I have an up-to-date install on an external hard drive, am I able to just copy that over, rather than waiting for the install+updates?
    Never tried, just a thought. Any idea?
  12. SadSnipingStrife
    Sorry Sonic, only just saw your message. I'll see if I can find some drivers for my 3000 on Linux :/ Also, its in fullscreen mode according to the settings and it does fill the wine desktop window, but only that, not my whole screen.
  13. booman
    Oh, looks like you have an Intel HD 3000 on your laptop. That is bad news for Linux.
    I have a Chromebook with an HD 2000 and it plays some games, mostly older ones like Half-Life, Lugaru, Torchlight, but none of the newer games.
    I have a feeling the drivers are fine for Windows, but in Linux we kinda get left-behind on development. So you may be at the mercy of Intel.

SonicMaster7773 - I have not successfully copied an updated version of LoL to a virtual drive. In theory it should work, but Wine uses the Windows Registery, not sure if there will be complications.
  14. SadSnipingStrife
    Aww ok, thanks for the help Booman :)
  15. SonicMaster7773
    Yeah, wasn't sure if I should try it or not but it install ten times faster to this machine than the one I previously posted fixes for. The full install I have is from a windows pc, so I figured it probably would work, but I am just trying a new install. Hopefully the framerate isn't too terrible.
  16. booman
    I know how to copy game files in Steam, but with other clients the game files can go in different places at different times. So its hard to back them up and install again.
    Kinda frustrating.
  17. booman
    The TuxLoL works pretty good. I just played an entire match and was able to go to the store and purchase items.
    I"m going to add the steps at the bottom of the guide for those of you who are getting a crash when clicking the store.
  18. TillaTalla
    Thanks for the easy and great guide, but I'm having one problem. Everything went good with downloading and logging in and I got into champoinselect, but after that my loading screen went black and nothing happend. I read some other forums too, and it might be a Driver problem, do u know anything about this? I am using Ubuntu 12.04
  19. TillaTalla
    1 thing more, several times I had Bugsplat and the most suprising this is that, my SHOP WORKS onyl by following this guide.