1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No login possible after sudo in Mint

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by cloasters, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    OK, that's what I expected. We are making progress, whether it seems like to you or not. They are ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring and ~/.local/share/keyrings/user.keystore. Note: there are NO spaces in the filenames.

Now, I MUST know if you have the directory ~/.gnome2/keyrings, and if there are any files in there. After you tell me, I think we can move forward.

After that, you can let me know about seahorse.
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I would be most happy to George!

(And I definitely owe it to TR!
    Linux is just to precise and picky in the console not to be absolutely sure instructions are be properly carried out.

Let's get to it!

In the main menu go to "All Applications" at the very top of your menu then scroll all the way down to "screenshot."

Right click on it and select "add to panel"
    Now you have an easy to get to it by way of the Icon in your panel.

As for the Screenshot app itself...there's really nothing to it.
    Click Icon to open it:

Use the drop down to select the folder you want the pictures placed it. (I use "pictures" and try to keep it fairly empty for easier Id"ing when posting. I keep a separate long term folder for "art ".

If you want to take a picture of something that won't stay open, like say, the main menu,

just guess at how long it will take you open it and get to what you want a picture of, then set the timer. tell "Screenshot" to snap the pic in say 6 seconds, then click to take the snapshot , then race to get what needs opening open in the time you have allowed yourself...

I tell you George it can be quite exhilarating at my age! ":O}

Now that I've set my timer and run my race...I want to show all the good folks out there in GOL land just how picturesque I've been!
    To do that i need to post my picture in a suitable place.

To find a suitable place we look to our beloved forums.
    As the august art of picture sharing is not nearly as wide speared as I feel it should be... we will have to ask our forums for a way to

"upload a file."

We're posting along and it occurs to us:
    "Hey a picture is worth" , you guest it!...
    "a picture is worth a "upload a file""

...and there it is waiting to be of service at the bottom of the posing box.

Lets take a look, shall we? Screenshot from 2016-03-18 02:28:25.png Screenshot from 2016-03-18 03:19:32.png

Ok take a shot of something and post it so I know I've done you some good! ":O}

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  3. ThunderRd

Home page:
    BTW, George, I'll bet you'll find the Password Manager in the Administration section of those menus Daniel has posted. I've never seen the Mint program menu before, but 'Administration' would be where I'd look.

But back to business - don't forget
    @Daniel: can you show him how to cut/paste to/from his terminal, as well? It would be very helpful, and I can see the exact output. George can redact anything he doesn't want to display, but he can post the essential commands and their syntax.
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    George, do you have some kind of spell-correct or something going on? I know Chrome has one. I'm wondering if that isn't interfering here with the missing '.' etc?
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Sorry to say that there is NO Password Manager to be found in Administration. Don't know why I'm typing in Bold. Sorry, dunno how to fix this. I'm not at all familiar with Chrome, I don't know if Spell-Correction is chosen. After a quick look I don't see the option.

Also, my password is good for some things but not for others. After I boot, then put my password into the "Login Window," after selecting that from Administration and hit "Enter" it works. But if I choose "New Login" from the list of Administration choices and enter my password, after pressing "Enter" it displays my Password and name and asks for the password again. Entering it isn't accepted, thank goodness I can choose "reboot." Uuh, duuh. It's actually asking for a different user, shuh.

ttbmk, there isn't any mention of keyrings after "/home/my first and last name (hyphenated) /.gnome2/keyrings, only "accels" and "gedit" are reported in Nemo.

Maybe we'll see a test Screenshot:

Sheeeit, I'll try it in the future. Thank you for the assistance, Daniel~!
  6. ThunderRd

Home page:
    Precisely. And I am 99% certain that I know what the issue is, but I must make absolutely sure of some things first.
    George, please be patient with me. "ttbmk" simply isn't good enough.

Please, open your file manager and navigate to /home/yourname/.gnome2/, left click on .gnome2, and tell me if there is a keyrings directory in the right-hand pane. If it does indeed exist, double-click it, and tell me what the contents are [in the right-hand pane.]

And/Or, open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    ls  /home/yourname/.gnome2/            <enter>

followed by

ls  /home/yourname/.gnome2/keyrings/          <enter>
    and report back here. Please note, 1 space after ls, 1 space after -la, but no spaces within the path. A screenshot would be nice, but copy/paste would be better, and you can redact your username from the prompt if you want. If you can't do that, just carefully type the output and post it here. [or you can PM it to me if you don't want it public]

Don't get disheartened. There is a learning curve for new Linux users, and you're experiencing it now. Things will get much, much easier with a little time and determination. Just ask Daniel ;)
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    Hi George....here's what you do when you don't know where something is...go to the top of main menu and open "all applications ".

it's set up alphabetically so it not the chore it seems.":O}

'

Attached Files:

8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Once again a pleasure TR! ":O}
    Hi George!

George, I don't think you realize That we are playing a game here.

A most wonderful game that can be played by players from all levels of play all at the same time!

How can the most advance players enjoy playing with the lest knowledgeable of players?
    Because for them the game is to unravel, to understand, then to teach those in need of knowledge.

For the beginner or the permanently impaired (such as my self)

The game is to be flexible and at the same time exacting in our following of instructions. To be an apt pupil.

We at the beginning of our journey have one more obligation...as I see it.
    We must never leave a thread in which we ask for help until our seniors have a chance to figure things out, that's part of what gets them off and we owe then that solution...if it can be found.
    Here's why you should feel completely free to enjoy and play with this process!

at the end of our play, no earth is laid bare, no cities fall to ruin.
    The only side effect of our endeavors is that we get to enjoy each others company.

I know you George! ":O}

Your prone to allowing yourself to be caught up in worry and to get anxious when things start to look like they are going side ways.

So I want you to do a little "What's the worst that could happen"

and realize that you know how to put a disk in the ROM slot.

This bestows the power to begin a new and anew and anew.

Neither you nor Mint can ever be destroyed by any thing we do.

I would also like to say that I have never had to format and start over again due to any instructions I have received from Chris, TR! or others
    Any mess we get into together, they always at lest make me whole again.

What I'm trying to say is stop trying so hard and have a bit of fun with this.

Just think of the endless shit Chris, TR, Booman and so many others have gone though on my behalf!! LOL

They did it and continue to do it because like me and like you they enjoy helping others. They enjoy it more George, when they can sense our enjoyment as well.":O}

"Cutting and pasting from terminal"
    (sometimes called console, George.}

Easy as pie!
    Just open Terminal and do your stuff, when your stuff is got done and you wish to share the got done stuff just go up to the top of Terminal and select Edit from the menu. hit "Select all all",
    then hit "copy", go to the forums box and hit paste.":O}

daniel@daniel-Mint-17 ~ $ sudo
    usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
    usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
    usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user]
    [command]
    usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
    prompt] [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
    usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
    prompt] [-u user] file ...
    daniel@daniel-Mint-17 ~ $

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you for any reason...and I'll ask TR to fix it for us! ":O}

Attached Files:

9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Now don't procrastinate! You need to be able to do this to work effectively with our seniors. Did you run into trouble George?
    come-on George, Let's Play! ":O}
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much for your help! Today I have to play hooky because I'm too short of sleep to look at your posts carefully and respond carefully, too. I beg your collective pardon!
  11. ThunderRd

Home page:
    We're here when you're ready, m'man.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Need some sleep?
    "wink wink nudge, nudge, say no more say no more":O}
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    T.R. Just in case this will further your progress:
    This is what "Passwords and keys" looks like in 17.3

More than happy to aid you in your quest to help the Big G. sort this out.
    Screenshot from 2016-03-20 17:23:04.png
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I always use Firefox here. New Problem: I can't update that motherfreakin' pos called "Flash" for this browser. WHY is it not obsolete, it's a security disaster?! For now, please don't try to help me with this, I have too many problems already.

By gum, there is a "Passwords and Keys" entry in the very first "Menu" screen seen after clicking the Linux Mint logo. It's hiding and is seen after scrolling way down. It looks nothing like your example, Daniel~.
    It lists "Gnome 2 Ke" with a pic of a lock, underneath it is"User Key Storage," and underneath that "System Trust".
    Just for laughs, lemme try to Screenshot it.
    Nevermind, I sent the desired pic of "Passwords and Keys" to the clipboard by accident . Note: I've never found the Clipboard in any OS ever. It's a black hole to me.

I'm feeling so negative and so angry that it's best that I bow out of attempting to ask for help from the wonderful folks here right now. Thank you very much!
  15. ThunderRd

Home page:
    George, you're putting the cart before the horse again. Slow down. First things first. The password manager probably won't be needed, if you find the information I need in your file manager/terminal.

I absolutely MUST KNOW the following, before anything else:

- Is there a ~/.gnome2/keyrings directory? We must be absolutely certain about this.
    - Is there anything in it, if it does exist? What are the names of the files in it? Or is it empty?

I've been asking this most important question for days now, and I can't proceed with the solution until I have an answer that is 100% sure. Can we get down to business? I am going to quote exactly what I've asked you to do already, in posts #26, #40, #41, #61, #63, and #66. Please follow all the instructions in this quote::

We are in this together! Please stop getting upset, and follow the program. :) This is NOT a serious problem, and it is easily solved when I know the required information. :)
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ya know we love ya right George?
    If your having problems with mint or with keeping yourself on an even keel...
    Well shit ain't nothing special about that! LOL

I wouldn't wish my interior life on a dog....unless it could get me out of having to live it myself...and the poor dog was long dead...
    (HEY, I really like dogs!)

My point here would be that you should put on a little Nora Jones and go to your happy place,,,or as I prefer to have it put it...

"When you find your self in darkness cling to what you remember of the light".

This is my refuge when my life and the life of the world overwhelms me, which happens just about every day...
    (you would not believe how much clinging I do to remembered and fading lights...waiting for clarity, waiting for a change in mens hearts.)

so I come here and, escape the traps I've set for myself.
    No charms for an easy life here... but it is a way for me to go on...
    and try again when strength returns.

Let's go on together George, all of us, Let's keep on keeping on together.
    IF you feel your experiencing difficulties that keep you from sharpening up on mint...that undertaking Mint just adds to those difficulties..

Maybe that's something we should talk about?

The open source community may be more open to you than you imagine.
    Let us know what's going on with you.
    Don't stray to far...

"Oh won't you stay
    stay a while with your own ones?
    Don't ever stray
    stray so far from
    your own ones.

This 'old world is so cold
    it don't care nothing for your soul...
    that you share
    with your own ones."

Oh don't rush away
    away from your own ones.
    oh won't you stay
    just one more day
    with your own ones.

oh don't ever stray
    from your own ones."
    The world is so cold

it don't care nothing for your soul...
    that you share
    with your own ones."
    Van Morrison
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much for your patience ThunderRd!

Typing /home/my-name/ .gnome2 (inTerminal) gets me:
    Is a directory.

Typing ls /home/my-name/.gnome2/keyrings (in Terminal) gets me:
    No such file or directory.

Typing /home/my-name/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring (in Terminal) gets me:
    Permission Denied.

Clicking .gnome2 in Nemo gets me "2 items 1 Folder." Double clicking .gnome2 in Nemo gets me the files "accels" and "gedit."

Hope this helps. Looks weird to me.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I may be a bit bassackwords with this, but I thought it may be important. In Terminal, typing: ls /home/my-name/.gnome2 returns: accels gedit. A miracle, Terminal and Nemo agree on something. Yaay!

Typing in Terminal ls /home/my-name/.gnome2/keyrings returns:
    cannot access/ home/my-name/.gnome2/keyrings: No such file or directory.

Thank you again everyone for your help and patience!
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

What a great and encouraging post, Daniel~. Thank you VERY much!
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

ThunderRd,
    I don't know why I didn't supply the info you asked for when you asked for it. Please forgive me.
    Please tell me if I completed what you asked for. If not, I'll try again.
    Thank you very, very much for your patience!