1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord Of The Rings Online installation

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Kowalsky, Feb 14, 2015.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Strange, I was able to sucessfully load and play Lord Of The Rings Online just fine.
    No problems, no hiccups or anything!
    It runs flawlessly!
    I was able to crank the graphics settings to the max on everything with my old GeForce 550 Ti.
    I also noticed that Wine 1.7.40 supports the Steam In-Game Overlay finally. I didn't have to disable it.
    So double-success here!

I noticed the screens loading when logging in, but never have issues with it.

Surprisingly, I'm not really enjoying LOTRO
    Maybe its because I'm just starting out, but I'm not impressed with the graphics/visuals or the gameplay.
    1. I have to hold left mouse button just to look around
    2. graphics are sub-par (compared to Neverwinter, Age of Wushu)
    3. I don't have full control over character combat. Just click and he fights for you
    All of this for 22GB of space?
    Neverwinter is 13 GB and is a few "notches" better
  2. EUSKOGUDARI

EUSKOGUDARI New Member

neverwinter jeep may be much better graphics. but for a lover of the world of Tolkien, I lotro has no competition. be on top of the winds, in the pressing pony rivendel, memory ....
  3. booman

Home page:
    Good call, totally understood!
    I've never been a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, but I do have the movies....
    By the way, just posted a gameplay video:
  4. EUSKOGUDARI

EUSKOGUDARI New Member

program that you use to record ? i have ubuntu
  5. booman

Home page:
    simplescreenrecorder
    Works with PulseAudio and has a lot of good settings including OpenGL and cropping the screen.
  6. EUSKOGUDARI

EUSKOGUDARI New Member

7. booman

Home page:
    no problem
  8. NesterLei

NesterLei New Member

Hello,

I installed Steam and then Lotro using the method supplied in the thread starter. The game boots up but gets stuck on "Retrieving content list from Akamai...". I've restarted the game couple of times now.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm actually going to post a step-by-step guide this Friday on Lord Of The Rings Online
    So if you can wait, I'll walk you through it.
    For the most part it was pretty simple...
    After you launch LOTRO the first time from Steam, it will have its own launcher and updater.
    There will be another 3 Gigs of updates to download.
    Then after that you should eventually get to a login screen.

I didn't have any problems with any steps during the update, login and playing the game.

Are you able to play any other games in Linux?
  10. NesterLei

NesterLei New Member

Well I installed pyLotro and place a link to the application folder on the PlayOnLinux drive. Had to run the patcher separately through pylotro but it did work. Then I launched the game with no problems - or so I thought. Now I notice that whenever I alt-tab to another application and then return, the game no longer accepts mouse clicks. I'm unsure though how to configure wine further.

Screenshot from 2015-04-22 14:54:10.png
  11. NesterLei

NesterLei New Member

Well after I turned off emulating a virtual desktop and set lotro to use a window to to my screen size, it works just fine. I saved some space by not allowing the application to style the window.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Interesting, I've never heard of PyLOTRO before
    Since it uses Wine like PlayOnLinux, you can use some of Wine's features.
    I always use the virtual desktop
    Yes, there are some Alt-Tab issues depending on the game, but the mouse and resolution always work great with the virtual desktop enabled.
  13. EUSKOGUDARI

EUSKOGUDARI New Member

for me pylotro dont work . until de patch game , charge the video presentation and finaly send this message in the launcher pylotro

The "Cannot use V8 Proxy resolver in single process mode
  14. booman

Home page:
    I've read about other games only utilizing one CPU with Wine
    I don't know a solution except waiting for Wine Developers to fix it.

Tomorrow morning I'm posting the guide, so try it as well.
  15. Toni_Averna

Toni_Averna New Member

Hi, It's been a year and a half since you posted this install guide and I wonder if there's anything newer I should look for.
    I'm having problems loading it, have managed to figure out most of the guide but am stuck on a couple things:
    I don't have WINE 1.7.8 - It initially gave me 2 choices of later versions - I tried the steam hack version. When it didn't work, I went to the full list but 1.7.8 isn't there. (The list skips from 1.7.55 to 1.8 etc) I also tried 1.7.39.

When I run Steam I get a message that playonlinux has crashed. I updated it to the latest version.

Here's the first crash log (running Wine 1.7.53-steam-crossoverhack)
    I also got a Fatal Error from Wine message saying: Failed to load library mscorlib.dll (Win32 error:0)

[08/01/16 11:44:28] - Running wine-1.7.53-steam_crossoverhack Steam.exe (Working directory : /home/toni/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam)
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [0801/114433:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(170)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
    IPC client is in my process, could/should be using an in-process pipe.[2016-08-01 11:44:29] Startup - updater built Jul 8 2016 14:45:17
    Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
    [2016-08-01 11:44:30] Checking for update on startup
    [2016-08-01 11:44:30] Checking for available updates...
    [2016-08-01 11:44:30] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_win32 version 1468023329, installed version 1468023329
    [2016-08-01 11:44:30] Nothing to do
    [2016-08-01 11:44:30] Verifying installation...
    [2016-08-01 11:44:30] Performing checksum verification of executable files
    [2016-08-01 11:44:33] Verification complete
    [2016-08-01 11:44:50] Shutdown
    [08/01/16 11:50:34] - Running wine-1.7.53-steam_crossoverhack winepath -u C:\\users\\toni\\Desktop (Working directory : /home/toni/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c)
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x6a07afa1, context 0x923ce8, init_notify 0, handle 0x11fe7d4): stub
    fixme:iphlpapi:CancelMibChangeNotify2 (handle (nil)): stub
    wine: configuration in '/home/toni/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam' has been updated.
    /home/toni/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/dosdevices/c:/users/toni/Desktop
    [08/01/16 11:53:22] - Running wine-1.7.53-steam_crossoverhack SteamSetup.exe (Working directory : /home/toni/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c)
    wine: configuration in '/home/toni/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam' has been updated.
    [08/01/16 11:57:20] - Running wine-1.7.53-steam_crossoverhack winecfg (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
    [08/01/16 12:05:00] - Running wine-1.7.53-steam_crossoverhack SteamSetup.exe no-dwrite (Working directory : /home/toni/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c)
    fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
    fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33e490 (nil)): stub
    fixme:process:processIdToSessionId Unsupported for other processes.
    Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 759: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!
  16. booman

Home page:
    Actually there is a bug with steamwebhelper in Wine, so the "crossover hack" version is the only way to initially setup Lord Of The Rings Online.
    So stick with that Wine version to get it setup and downloaded. Once you are ready to launch, try using another version of wine:
    1. Launch PlayOnLinux
    2. Click Tools
    3. Click Wine Manager
    4. Select Wine 1.9.14-staging (right side)
    5. Click Right Arrow >
    6. Close Wine manager when its done
    Now in PlayOnLinux configure, click the down-arrow to select Wine 1.9.14-staging and you should be able to start the game. If not, definitely try some other versions like Wine 1.8.3