1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of Empires III

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by steve723, Jan 5, 2014.

1. steve723

steve723 Member

If anyone ever figures out how to get AoE III to run via POL please let me know how.

The best I have gotten so far was the opening video plays and sound works but only until the opening video finishes playing then the sound quits. When I try the tutorial there is no sound and the lighting is bad and some things flash off and on.

I used the old POL install script as a guide but that didn't work so I checked the wine appli. data base and tried the full directx install and I got what I stated above. Leave it to Microsoft to design a game that's a pain to get working. I tried searching on this site but came up empty. If any one ever got this game to run in linux then please tell us how you did it. Steam version please. Thanks.

I tried to post my POL log file but this site said it was too large. You can't post more than 40,000 characters.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Microsoft DRM has several games almost impossible to run in Wine.
    For example, I couldn't get Fable III to even launch. Stinking Games for Windows Live!!!

You may have to delete some of the repetitive code from the output so it will post here.
    But yeah, post that debug so we can have a look at it.

I recommend doing a manual installation using Wine 1.6
  3. steve723

steve723 Member

wine 1.6 does not work with Steam any more.
  4. booman

Home page:
    I haven't tried yet, sounds like you have?
    Dang, I was hoping Wine would patch 1.6 because they are claiming it to be the "stable" version.

I just downloaded Wine 1.7.10 this morning. Maybe 1.8 will be the new "stable" whenever it comes out
  5. steve723

steve723 Member

Hopefully. I wonder if the wine devs will ever figured out how to properly run EA's Origin crap. The most success I have had so far is with POL wine 1.5.8-Origin. That version runs Origin kind of. Origin doesn't Initialize properly most of the time and you have kill the process and try again and again until it decides to work. When it decides to work you can download and install games but it is extremely slow and you have to kill the EAproxyinstaller at the right time else you wind up spending hours re downloading to try again!
  6. booman

Home page:
    Yeah I remember that. Maybe it was you who told me about those Origin problems.
    I'm guessing the problem is these clients are always updating because of security, DRM and compatibiltiy which means Wine devs need to keep updating as well.

There are just too many to keep track of:
    • Steam
    • Uplay
    • Origins
    • Battle.net
    • Arc
    • BigFish
    many more...
  7. steve723

steve723 Member

I think we need a new wine project. We can call it wine2 or wine without the arrogant closed minded thinking that you’re the only development team that can get wine to run syndrome. Sometimes I wonder if the wine project was run by a bunch of Microsoft rejects! They won't talk to you once they find out you are using POL. They think that anything that isn’t wine tricks must be bad even though POL is just a GUI for wine tricks and merely a way to put all your wine folders and prefixes in one nice GUI.
  8. Bladeforce

Bladeforce New Member

9. booman

Home page:
    In a way I agree. You would think Wine developers and support would do anything to keep us coming back, but I've seen a lot of evidence that the "purity" of Wine is more important. What I mean is Wine should only do what they intend it to do and that is all.
    Seems to be the mentality because if the new versions of Wine had all the backwards compatibility of the old versions of Wine we would be totally happy, but the fact is... they aren't so we aren't.

So many people are unhappy with versions of Wine that they patch it up and put it on their own website.

I understand why Wine devs won't support patched versions of Wine because it would be impossible to keep up.
    Hell, I'm sure its already impossible to keep up with all of the Microsoft dlls, games, programs and hardware out there with a small staff.

But I there are so many WineHQ game pages that have "garbage" test results for games that run just fine in PlayOnLinux. Hence why I stopped using Wine alone.

If you just browse around WineHQs you will see lots and lots and lots and lots of "garbage" "bronze" test results. Its very dicouraging to even try a game. This is the whole reason we started GamersOnLinux.com

I have found that those test results are either old or incompatible with "pure" Wine versions, but most of them stil run with patched versions of Wine supported by PlayOnLinux and their dev team (who doesn't get paid by the way)

I know its a HUGE undertaking to make PC games and programs run under Wine and I give them a lot of credit for sticking with it. Without Wine PlayOnLinux wouldn't even exist.
    But man.... sooner or later they will have to succumb to the comunity and start making things easier like PlayOnLinux does.

It amazing that a community can show more success that the original developers community.
  10. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that PlayOnLinux is seen as a (free) competitor of Codeweavers' Crossover Linux, where some of the developers of Wine are employed.
    Basically buying Crossover you support the Wine project (I did it myself 2 or 3 times).

The problem now is that PlayOnLinux has become, IMHO, so much better than the paid alternative that is probably considered as a threat.

I know it will never happen, but I would like to see a merger of the two projects, creating possibly an even better product sold at a cheaper price than Crossover, and allowing the guys at POL to get some well deserved financial reward.
  11. booman

Home page:
    I would like that. My main problem with Crossover is that you have to pay a monthly cost. Or did they change that?
    Looks like its a one time purchase for the software and support: Crossover
    So does that mean you get updates for Wine and software also?

I guess PlayOnLinux wants to keep the Linux mentality of Free and Open Source
    Which is good for us, but like you said, sometimes paid-for software has more development and testing.

I even made a thread about an idea for Steam to use Wine in the same manner as PlayOnLinux so you can play your PC Games and your Linux games. Wine for Steam?
  12. steve723

steve723 Member

Crossover stole the win program a few years ago and the wine project had to make a new license to protect the future of the wine project. I refuse to use crossover as I will not support those pirates.
  13. booman

Home page:
    I just read the History of Wine and didn't see anything about crossover and licenses that you mention.
    I mean, there is a lot about licenses and crossover is mentioned, but isn't Wine still open source?
  14. steve723

steve723 Member

They wrote a new open sources license after that so no one could do that again. I am pretty sure it was Crossover that did that.
  15. steve723

steve723 Member

I just tried the game again:
    I just installed the game. I run it. It asks for the key. I enter it and click next. It says something about pid Generator failer. What is pidgenerator.dll and how do I install it?
  16. steve723

steve723 Member

I figured out that I needed vbrun6 but after I got past the key part, I got a wine crash.

[07/18/14 16:26:05] - Running wine-1.7.22 Steam.exe (Working directory : /home/steve7233/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/AOEIII_Complete/drive_c/Program Files/Steam)
    [0718/162607:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(417)] Failed to load C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\chrome.pak
    Some features may not be available.
    [0718/162607:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(126)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000fc8 at address 0x7e669395 (thread 0047), starting debugger...
    fixme:advapi:EventRegister {47a9201e-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361bc6f}, 0x100211e0, 0x1009f068, 0x1009f060
    fixme:advapi:EventRegister {58a9201e-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361bc70}, 0x100211e0, 0x1009f0a0, 0x1009f098
    fixme:advapi:EventRegister {3fa9201e-73b0-43fe-9821-7e145359bc6f}, 0x100211e0, 0x1009f030, 0x1009f028
    fixme:advapi:EventRegister {1432afee-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361b433}, 0x100211e0, 0x1009f0d8, 0x1009f0d0
    fixme:advapi:EventRegister {4372afee-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361b519}, 0x100211e0, 0x1009f110, 0x1009f108
    fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x133ee0): semi-stub
    fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33f15c (nil)): stub
    fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext ((nil), (nil)): stub
    fixme:advapi:EventUnregister deadbeef: stub

(process:3615): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

Any ideas?
  17. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

18. steve723

steve723 Member

19. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I've run it like three times and played a few matches, fully working too.

It's not really hard to run, I know you have to tweak some stuff. Mostly importantly, have the quartz library installed for it, which is mostly for audio. I'll try to set up my own environment and report back.

What happens when you start the program.

I should mention that a lot of the D3D improvements (such as the famous CSMT patches) are done by CodeWeavers staff (CrossOver product) and they literally sponsor WINE project, you could say they are the ones behind WINE. A many of the programmers that contributes to WINE are also employed by CodeWeavers. There's nothing illegal about it, such is the nature of open source. FSF even promotes the idea of monetizing from such project. Sadly, CrossOver being one of the flag products, it also means that PlayOnLinux and other wrappers CANNOT co-exists.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  20. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Pero playonlinux es unicamente un lanzador al igual que digamos el q4wine, pero el crossover es diferente, este tiene codigo que posteriormente se integrara en el wine, un ejemplo de eso es que CSMT esta incorporado en crossover desde diciembre del 2013 (de esto hablo stefan dosinger en phoronix mencionando a modo de satira que seria bueno soportaran al wine comprando crossover :rolling:)

Mientras en el wine apenas se esta adicionando el codigo (aunque los ultimos wine incluyen una cantidad considerable de ese codigo)

Aunque un poco offtopic: la salida del wine 1.8 esta como a la deriva con el anuncio que hizo stefan dosinger en phoronix

Esto implica un cambio de proporciones mayores, la idea me parece muy buena porque lo haria altamente multitasking (beneficiaria principalmente a cpus con muchos nucleos y bajo IPC como AMD :rolleyes:) sin embargo es un trabajo titanico, diria que eso deberian colocarlo como meta de un hipotetico Wine 2.0

Ojala lancen CSMT antes que ese cambio que esperan realizar

:)
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014