1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOMA in Linux

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jun 11, 2023.

• by booman, Jun 11, 2023 at 1:27 AM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    The world is not what it seems...
    Enter a terrifying world where humanity is at its end, WAU monsters have taken over and you are the only one left to save us. Creatures roam in the dark you can run, you can hide, but the only way to stop them is to become one of them? Explore massive underwater facilities spanning across an ocean. Hear resonating memories from objects and bodies, figure out who you really are and work with Catherine the computer AI.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/soma

I've had SOMA for a few years on GOG and finally broke down to give it a try. I'm a big Amnesia fan so I knew I would like this horror thriller by Frictional Games. I wasn't disappointed! Not only does it run native in Linux, it ran beautifully and the visual effects are AMAZING! The monsters are pretty terrifying and your only defense is hiding, closing doors behind you and running. Enjoy!

Specs:
    Mint 21.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX
    1650 Nvidia 530

soma-0.jpg soma-1.jpg soma-2.jpg soma-3.jpg soma-4.jpg soma-5.jpg soma-6.jpg soma-7.jpg soma-8.jpg soma-9.jpg soma-10.jpg soma-11.jpg soma-12.jpg soma-13.jpg soma-14.jpg soma-15.jpg soma-16.jpg soma-17.jpg soma-17.jpg soma-18.jpg soma-19.jpg soma-20.jpg soma-21.jpg soma-22.jpg soma-23.jpg soma-24.jpg soma-25.jpg soma-26.jpg soma-27.jpg soma-28.jpg soma-29.jpg soma-30.jpg soma-31.jpg soma-32.jpg soma-33.jpg soma-34.jpg soma-51.jpg soma-50.jpg soma-49.jpg soma-48.jpg soma-47.jpg soma-46.jpg soma-45.jpg soma-44.jpg soma-43.jpg soma-42.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jun 11, 2023.

1. Daerandin
    I really loved this game, the little twists it presented and the existential questions it forced you to consider.

And all those sequences of walking on the bottom of the ocean floor was just so amazing, especially the depths towards the end.
  2. booman
    Yes, it was done perfectly! I love any game by Frictional Games. They know how to write a story, create dramatic worlds and throw us right in the middle of it.

I also like the puzzles and creative monsters. There is no run-n-gun here, you have to be clever and run if necessary.

What other games do they have besides Amnesia?
    Daerandin likes this.
  3. Daerandin
    There is the three Penumbra games, although the third one was not that good. But the first two Penumbra were actually really good, and I kind of prefer them over Amnesia.

Then there is Amnesia of course, followed by Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

Then you have Amnesia: Rebirth, which I only played recently and it impressed me a lot. Very different from the two previous Amnesia titles.

Lastly, they just released a new game, Amnesia: The Bunker. I will probably play it at some point during autumn when I'm back from my trip to Indonesia.
  4. booman
    Ah I was wondering about Amnesia The Bunker. I thought it might be an expansion or something. I didn't get a chance to play Amnesia Rebirth, in fact a lot of reviews on GOG say its not that great.
    Either way, I love the premise of the games and the spooky environments.

I assume they all have Linux ports.
  5. Daerandin
    I suppose some might not like the setting for Rebirth. It does some crazy stuff that was not seen in previous games, but personally I loved it. There's a very good deal of sci-fi mixed in, which was not really present in any of the previous Amnesia games.

GOG does not seem to have the Linux versions for all of the games, for some reason. Steam has the Linux versions, except for The Bunker for which I have only seen Windows versions so far.
  6. booman
    Well if you liked it, I will probably like it.
    I really don't understand GOG and Linux versions. I bought Dying Light on sale and later realized its only the Windows version. So then I purchased it again on Steam because it was on sale and has the Linux version. Its my fault for not investigating, but geesh.... if Steam can support it, you would think GOG could too.
    I know Valve is much larger, but GOG should rely on the developers for support, just be the "middle man" and have the Developer patch or fix issues. Not to mention, if the Linux version runs fine in Steam, then chances are the Linux version in GOG would run fine.
  7. Daerandin
    GOG also has severely limited multiplayer experience in some games, or even completely lacking multiplayer. I am a huge fan of the no-DRM policy that GOG has, but the other limitations usually make me pick Steam. For games that are a 100% single player offline experience then I will usually purchase from GOG.

On an unrelated note, the Linux version of Dying Light is great IF you have nvidia. But on AMD GPU you are better off running the Windows version. I actually posted about this a couple of years ago:

https://gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/dying-light-graphical-bugs-on-amd.3774
  8. booman
    I'm going to have to start leaning towards that mindset as well.
    • GOG for singleplayer or LAN only multi-player
    • Steam for everything else
    Not cool to hear about Dying Light! Worst case it is might run well in Proton.