1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident Evil HD Remaster "Memory Overrun"

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by Adrians Netlis, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Adrians Netlis

Adrians Netlis New Member

Home page:
    Hello!
    I recently tried to install Resident Evil HD Remake using Play On Linux, Wine version 1.9.2-staging, 32-bit installation, with d3dcompiler_43, d3dx9, xact, wmp10. Additionally installed windowsmedia-kb942423-x86-intl.exe in the virtual drive in order for cutscenes to work. Game seems to be working(I had to, though, find config.ini and set resolution, otherwise it crashes when I try opening "video settings"), but once I start to play, a serios problem occur. It is there always and at already early stage of game(like after first cutscenes or after playing for ~3 minutes. It happens mostly when custscene is ending, character is going through door or the cutscene starts. The output of error is "ERRO8: Memory overrun". It seems to affect most of the attempts installing this game on Linux(but seems to have affected some players on Windows too, not as significantly, though). I was hoping that somebody can help me here.

System specs:
    Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ;
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M;
    DDR4 4GB;
    1 TB HDD;
    1920x1080 LED monitor @ 60Hz;
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Try using Wine 1.8-d3d_doublebuffer
    I've used these "doublebuffer" patched versions of Wine for game that have memory leaks like Crysis 2. It has proven to work but doesn't fix everything.

You could also try using a 64-bit virtual drive and 64-bit Wine, but in the past have proven not to be as stable.
    Adrians Netlis likes this.
  3. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    Hi, booman!
    I'll try the doublebuffer.

About 64-bit - game needs to install one program(provided by microsoft), media player patch or something. It's so that it could run wmv videos(which game uses). If the video doesn't run, than the game stucks with balck screen. So only 32-bit can be used.
  4. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
  5. booman

Home page:
    Good point about 64-bit. WMP might not run in a 64-bit environment. Its still worth a try, even without the video's

Can you post an entire debug with all the errors?
    By the way, after the cutscenes when it crashes, is the actual 3D game supposed to begin? or is there more cutscenes?
  6. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    There is no crash report. It just pops a microscopic window with text "ERRO8: Memory overrun" or if there is one, than I don't know where it is stored.
    I tried 64-bit already and it didn't run at all. Without videos playing it just stucks after CAPCOM logo.
    It crashes at different cases, but mostly - after cutscene ends and it starts game. I tried 2 versions, in one it crashes in any case when cutscenes ends, in other it seems to mostly crash once handgun comes visible in game(so Jill - once game begins, Chris - once gone to zombie, gone back to hall).

Oh, and side question:
    Do you know why a RE6 installer gets stuck at 88.2% at 32-bit? I've been waiting for ~40 mins, but it seems that I'll give up with it:D

Oh, and why can't I edit my posts? Previously I had forgotten to mention one thing and to do it, I had to make a new reply...
    booman likes this.
  7. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    I wish I knew where to get GC version. It might run via Dolphin emulator as it's most likely the same on Windows and Linux.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Try launching Resident Evil with "Debug" instead of "Run"
    This way a window will appear and show you all the backend errors and bugs. Post it here...

I'm not sure why the installer is getting stuck. Does it ever finish?
    I've seen games install really slow and others really fast. It depends on the game and what its installing. Sometimes games install Dot Net Framework and it can take a long time. Other games install DRM or have to connect to a server during installation. That can break Wine because the DRM is not supported.

You can edit your posts after 15 posts. Just a way to prevent SPAM posting.
  9. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    I'll try launching "Debug" later, that's for sure.

The installer didn't finish, I left it stuck for ~2 hours. Propably the game doesn't work in 32-bit. However, I can't get mediaplayer in 64-bit(the x64 version installer throws an error when trying to install).

OK! It's good to find out that there IS an 'edit' option. by the way - when does the moderation go off?
  10. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, that debug might help us see what is wrong.

I have to approve your posts when I get notified of a new unmoderated post. Then I approve it. So there is no specific time it happens.
  11. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    I meant - do I need to post 15 posts for the moderation to go off aswell?:)

http://www.pasteall.org/71403 - this is the log. I ran it, started new game, selected very easy mode and Jill character. It crahsed once cutscene ended. I noticed that at this specific installation it mostly crashes when game starts and handgun is somewhere in scene. May be just a coincidence, though.
  12. booman

Home page:
    oh, no you need 15 posts to edit your own posts.
    the moderation queue is instant, but one of us have to see it and approve it.

This is the only significant error I could find the the log.
    Code:
    err-0setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW copy error 0 L"C:\\users\\adriansnetlis\\Temp\\IXP000.TMP\\wmvadvd.dll" -> L"C:\\windows\\system32\\wmvadvd.dll"
    It may be something related to the cutscene video format. WMV is Windows Media codecs. So it may be crashing right before another cut-scene.
    Are you able to see any cut-scenes?

As a test you might want to disable all cut-scenes and see if the game plays.
  13. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    I can see cutscenes, they seem to work fine. I don't know how to disable them, I only know how to skip them. The problem occurs 95% when cutscenes end and goes to the gameplay.
  14. booman

Home page:
    Ok, then don't worry about the cut-scenes. They don't seem to be the problem. So you never see any real 3D gameplay?
    I don't see any errors that reflect Direct X or missing libraries. So at this point it is really hard to tell what is wrong. I'm guessing it is a memory leak or memory related problem, but those are impossible to fix sometimes.

I recently had a bad crashing issue with Darksiders 2. It was a memory leak and a buffering problem. After some trial-n-error I found that using a 64-bit virtual drive, 64-bit Wine patched with doublebuffer fixed the problem. I can now play it as long as I want.

I had to use Wine 1.8-d3d_doublebuffer

I know this will break the cut-scenes, so you are in a unique situation. Sometimes 32-bit programs will run in a 64-bit environment, but we all know Wine isn't as completed as a real windows installation. So compatibility might not be there
  15. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    Hi!
    I can have some gameplay with Chris(not with Jill though), but once Chris got in the hall for the gun, the game crashed. Boom! I think that it's the gun's fault:D

If the cutscenes doesn't work, than game stucks once it's supposed to play one.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942423 - installing the x64 version in 64-bit wineprefix crashes.
  16. booman

Home page:
    Dang, that is about all I've got. I would definitely says Resident Evil HD is a failure for Wine compatibility. If I can pick it up on a Steam sale some day, I'll check it out and try it myself.
  17. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    Now is Resident Evil Steam sale. I wish I had money, I could test the latest version myself:D
  18. booman

Home page:
    What version do you have?
  19. Adrians Netlis

Home page:
    I wish I knew:D
    Where can I test it out?

Wait, I think it's v1.0.
  20. booman