1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r9 m275x driver question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graywolf.theheathen, Apr 22, 2016.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I didn't get my first machine until a friend's GF gave me her 386 (19 Mhz clock speed) in late '94--I think, anyway. With a 40 Mb HDD, iirc. I was envious of 486, especially 486 DX owners. The 386 was a good quality machine, made by Hyundai of all people. It didn't scream along with 1 Mb of RAM. I replaced the 30-pin DIMM with a 30-pin 4 Mhz err, Megabytes that was, stick. Cost a hundred bucks, amazing in retrospect.

I like to remember the old days too. I don't think I built my first box until maybe 1997, so I think we're even!
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    The good builds..they never leave us in spirit!
    Good to hear from your heathen self! ":O}
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Oh dear. My first computer as a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, in 1981. I mowed yards and save money all summer so that I could buy that puppy. I would stay up all night typing in programs from magazines, KNOWING that if I lost power for ANY reason, all of my hard work would be erased, just so I could see the thing DO something!

Spent part of the winter shoveling snow so that I could save enough money to get the adapter to let me save programs onto my Dad's audio cassette recorder. Took like 20 minutes, but HEY! I COULD SAVE A PROGRAM!

LOL. Those were the days.
  4. Gizmo

Home page:
    Dan, weren't you chiseling programs in stone tablets or something? :D
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    first you must tell us why you didn't just steal it! ":O}

My first box was a 386 (2000 dollars!)a local builder that filled your hard drive with a little something for every one, all crap.":O} and a version of windows that ran Norton's utilities in DOS.
    I spent all my time trying to figure out why I bought it. while endlessly reinstalling windows from...I think it was 25 floppies. I failed at computing several more time before software caught up with my incompetence.

At that time only AOL could get me on line and I couldn't afford it.. That was back when in my ignorance I thought Bill Gates was a great guy!! LOL

I don't think we had chisels back then...nor rocks for that matter.

Oh! It bought it extra ram and a Orchid video card!
  6. Gizmo

Home page:
    I remember when those first came out, around '85 or '86 wasn't it? I was in the Army at the time, so wasn't paying a lot of attention to computers.
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Wowsa, you guys were indeed the Settlers of the Old West computer-wise. I bet that TI was behind the glass case at Radio Shack, I doubt that Gizmo decided to bring a brick to his local store and run out the door with it. I knew absolutely nothing about PC's back then (not much more now) but seem to recall that the Texas Instruments 99 cost about $1000. And a grand was a LOT of cabbage back then. Many a sweaty lawn cuttings were needed. I feel light headed just to think of it!

I remember that something like 34 floppies were needed to install Win 3.1. Did that lots of times, I thought that one copy of a .dll was really necessary once upon a time. Why waste precious tiny HDD space with two copies? Wrong!
    I think there were more options than AOL for me, but AOL was the way to go. Dial-up, ugh. But I miss the sound of the handshake once in a while when feeling nostalgic.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    What year...Hmmm I barely know what month it is, just not a calendar kinda guy I guess.":O}
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Good point. Time flies by so quickly now that I'm an olde pharte it's almost scary. September you say? Autumn is already here? What?! Summer is Seattle's best season by far, I'm bummed that we have nine freakin' months of winter to look forward to. I exaggerate but dark, wet and cold last for far too long hereabouts. I know, where's my Palm Springs winter home? Lost it on the way to the forum. Or something like that.
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ah George!your my kinda of cyber explorer
    I spent a lot of time trying (I Kid you not!)
    to put EVERYTHING into one convenient folder.
    Then take "Stacker" (a files compressor to save HD space) and stack my drive. and it did...It just couldn't boot.

Back then computers were to stupid to do what I wanted and I was stupid enough to ask it to! ":O}

But many years later I was able to put all of AOA topics into one topic, I credit my early training for this.

Gizmo never told me what he had to do to save all of AOS from my efforts...and I was always to afraid to ask him!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Dan, your writing at AOA was uniformly brilliant. I tried for years but was never able to equal the caliber of your posts. Or even get very close, to be honest.

I love it--a perfectly set up HDD, files puzzackly where they SHOULD be, everything in proper order along with proper compression--using only the most perfect algorithm. But the bahstage won't boot!
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    A minor consideration for Explorers such as we!

Your posts are often ephemeral and can take a bit of effort to sort... but they always worth the effort
    I thank for the complement...always nice to be appreciated.":O}

( See this is me appreciating you...isn't it nice":O}
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Dan, you were probably denied much of the credit you really deserve for starting and being The Great Editor at AOA.
    I think we owe you a long deferred huge Thank You!! The site was certainly a group effort, but you initiated it. Thank you!

You sayin' that my posts are often epheminate? Shazam, good sir, them's fightin' words! Just kidding! Isn't it amusing that "sticks and stones can break my bones" but "names can never hurt me." ? When we were kids I tried hard to keep that saying in mind. But it's so untrue in real life. Real life--what interferes with pleasant day dreams.

Anyone else watching "Mad Men?" I ignored it for years but a pal told me that it is great recently. It is great, the producers take huge pains to reconstruct the show's time frame accurately. What's cool for me is that I remember that era pretty clearly. Very fine actors, highly recommended. Three thumb's up!
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    George... What can I say? Your being here is all thanks I need or want. Others here contributed At Least as much as I.

I work the forums and everyone can see the work I do. But Gizmo, ThunderRoad, Booman Danrock and Aedan and many others have worked tirelessly in the long hours of the day and night with no one there watching., no there giving encouragement...Just them and the work that needs to be done.

Before I even open my mouth They must accomplish their task.They must create!
    Your own contributions cannot be overlooked either. Members are what all of us live for.

Once their creation reaches us,,,They literally prowl these forums with the hungry eyes of a Tiger searching for those in need of their help.

What we do here we do together. Staff and membership, we create this place together.

Abundance isolates. Weather it be material goods, artist talent, knowledge,spirit, or Intellect or fame.

An abundance Isolates and separates one from our common humanity.

An Abundance of praise isolates as well.

To credit me alone makes me feel lonely, I know you don't want me to feel lonely now do you?":O}
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Certainly not! I have no wish to make anyone feel lonely. You are absolutely correct the combination of all of our members past and present make a Web site hum right along.

A huge THANK YOU! to all members. Plus a behemoth of a Thank You! to the folks that work so hard on our behalf! Dan~ posted names of the greats I only say that there are even more. Members are really what we all live for, I can't say it better than Daniel did.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    Thank you George...Neither can I!":O}