1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Linux! 20.1

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Daniel~, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Screenshot from 2021-01-12 14-59-16.png

A very fast update, so far not much to write home about. Mint is offering their 5 year support
    Just open update manager then select EDIT and the update option is listed at the bottom of your drop down
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Nice! I didn't even upgrade to Mint 20 yet. I'm gonna have to eventually
  3. stormpower7

stormpower7 New Member

Easiest, painless mint update ever. And very fast.
  4. stormpower7

stormpower7 New Member

I updated from 20 though.
    booman likes this.
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    When I have the time, I'll do a fresh install of Mint 20 on my main machine.
    I don't mind upgrading the other ones, but after playing so many games and installing so many applications, there is a lot of residual files that need to just go away.
  6. stormpower7

stormpower7 New Member

yeah, that makes sense.
  7. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    So far no complaints...wait i have one.!
    When I put my box to sleep, it loses sound or garbles sound. A fresh re-boot sets things right.
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hate to admit it but I'm afeard of updating my now dated Mint 19.1. Why? Because VLC Media Player is needed to run DVD's on my machine. It was a muthaflockin' ordeal to get it installed on Cinnamon 19.1. Could not have accomplishment this on my own, period. Required a bunch of painstakingly voluminous help from Aedan. EDIT Correction KAITAIN. So much that I daren't ask for it again.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  9. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Do it George, you know you want to. ;)

I updated from 19.3 to 20 and pretty much broke my entire system.

HOWEVER, that was because this was originally a 17.3 system which I had upgraded multiple times and there was some crap hanging around that finally just broke. I had to reinstall.

Tony upgraded his system and had no issues at all. I think he started out on 19.1. He went to Windows 10 for a while because he really wanted to play games. Then Valve got Proton working with a couple of the games he wanted to play, so he came back to Linux because he discovered that he just really hated Windows 10.
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'd definitely start over clean with 20.1. But I must repeat--I can't ask for that much help again to get VLC Media Player installed. Kaitain was a saint with his patience.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  11. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I'd be curious to know what made it so difficult. I've had VLC installed on my system for a while, and it just went right in, and the necessary codecs were easy to find and install.

I'm sure there was something weird that I don't appreciate, because Kaitain is a sharp cookie.
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I think that there was something weird about MY setup of 19.1. I thought that VLC Media Player was supposed to already be installed. And or to install magically easily. And probably did on most people's Linux setups. But NOo, I had to be different.

Talk about Kaitain being a sharp cookie, I honestly feel inferior to the man. I know, I know such things happen every day. Not in a gestalt sort of way, yet surely technically. I knew from the instant I met him (thanks to Daniel's hard work in throwing the first anniversary party for AOA. And Surlyjoe driving him up from California. Surlyjoe, what a kewel character!) that Kaitain was clearly smarter than me. But being the cool Brit that he is he didn't rub it in. Yay!

If all the work that Kaitain had very kindly done on my behalf to get VLC installed was on a paying basis I imagine that his talents would have cost $1000. Fair dinkum. Heyell, I do have a Blu-Ray player hooked up to my tv, I would have lived without the extra convenience of a working DVD player for the PC. But the $300 Bose speakers that Daniel gave me wouldn't have sweetly bassed their way through a concert DVD.

Hey, what is this? Sentimental journey? I guess so!
  13. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    With my Arch mentality regarding updates (must... always... update...) I tend to ensure my wife's Mint system is always updated, especially with new Mint versions. The upgrade from 20 to 20.1 went by without any issues at all. Then again, her current computer had a fresh install of Mint 20, the upgrade to 20.1 is probably not a huge change. Both Mint 20 and 20.1 are based on Ubuntu 20.04.
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Good to see you on the board, Daerandin! I update religiously but don't think VLC would be a breeze even with a fresh install of 20.1. Going by how a fresh installation of 19.1 just luvved VLC Media Player.
    Daerandin likes this.
  15. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    It should not be a problem to install VLC. It is in the official repositories and should be as simple as opening up the software manager and finding VLC and install it. Or just run the command "sudo apt-get install vlc".

Then again, there's always the chance of running into some edge case issue, but those should be rare. In any case, you are bound to find help here if you have issues.
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Yay! That's what we're all about here at GOL! I won't be purchasing a fresh disc with Mint Cinnamon 20.1 ( I very much like having the media handy for a new OS installation) real soon. I have other more pressing needs atm.