1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neverwinter Free MMO Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 2, 2013.

• by booman, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    neverwinter91.jpg

There are already a lot of Dungeons & Dragons games out there. From board games to card games and video games. The Lore of D&D is nothing new to most of us...
    But I am excited to see Neverwinter appear as a Free game with the ability to use everything available in the game without having to spend a penny. The graphics are beautiful, the the world is huge, fight along side friends, customize your character and all the rest of the expected RPG qualities.

neverwinter101.jpg

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing Neverwinter in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the downloadable version of Neverwinter. Steam and Arc versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Note: March 2017 Perfect World Entertainment ended support for Windows XP and Direct X 9. This guide no longer applies until we can pursue more testing in Wine.

Mint 17 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.8
    Wine: 1.7.40

Wine Installation

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Look for the Wine Version: 1.7.40
    Note: Try using stable Wine 1.8 and 1.8-staging

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Wine 1.7.40 is installed and you can close this window

Download the Neverwinter installer here:
    http://download.perfectworld.com/nw/neverwinter_setup.exe

Save in a folder on your desktop
    neverwinter02.png

PlayOnLinux Setup

Launch PlayOnLinux
    Click Install
    neverwinter05.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    neverwinter06.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive"
    Click Next
    neverwinter08.png

Name the virtual drive: neverwinter
    Click Next
    neverwinter09.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some libraries
    Click Next
    neverwinter10.png

Select Wine 1.7.40
    Click Next
    neverwinter11.png

Select "32 bits windows installation"
    Click Next
    neverwinter12.png

Wine Configuration

Applications Tab
    Windows Version: Windows 7
    Click Apply
    neverwinter13.png

Graphics Tab
    Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
    Check "Emulate a virtual desktop"
    Desktop size: 1024x768
    Click OK
    neverwinter14.png

PlayOnLinux Packages (Libraries, Components, DLL's)

Check the following packages:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_d3dx9
    • POL_Install_tahoma
    Click Next
    neverwinter15.png

Note: All packages will automatically download and install

Installing Neverwinter

Click Browse
    neverwinter16.png

Navigate to the folder on your desktop
    Select "neverwinter_setup.exe"
    Click Open
    neverwinter17.png

Click Next again

Select language
    Click OK
    neverwinter19.png

Click Next
    neverwinter20.png

Click "I Agree"
    neverwinter21.png

Click Next
    neverwinter22.png

Uncheck "Create a desktop icon"
    Click Install
    neverwinter23.png

Uncheck "Launch Neverwinter"
    Click Finish
    neverwinter24.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select "Neverwinter.exe"
    Click Next
    neverwinter25.png

Name your shortcut: Neverwinter
    Click Next
    neverwinter26.png

Select "I don't want to make another shortcut"
    Click Next
    neverwinter27.png

PlayOnLinux Configure

Select Neverwinter
    Click Configure
    neverwinter28.png

General Tab
    Wine version: 1.7.40
    neverwinter29.png

Note: Click the + to download other versions of Wine. Click the down-arrow to select other versions of Wine

Display Tab
    Video memory size: Enter the amount of memory your video card/chip uses
    neverwinter30.png

Close Configure

Launching Neverwinter

Select Neverwinter
    Click Run
    neverwinter31.png

Login with your account credentials
    neverwinter33.png

Neverwinter will begin downloading and patching
    In total the game is about 13 Gigabytes
    neverwinter34.png

Note: This process can take several hours depending on your internet speed

When its done downloading click PLAY
    neverwinter35.png

Long Cryptic loading screen
    At first launch, this Cryptic screen can literally take 15-20 minutes
    Please be patient and take a break
    neverwinter36.png

Sometimes the login will fail and end up at this login screen
    Enter your account credentials
    Click LOGIN
    neverwinter37.png

Once in game, select your character
    Click Enter World
    neverwinter38.png

Optimization

Click Options
    Click Graphics Tab

Adjust resolution to match your Linux desktop

Adjust:
    • Screen
    • Detail
    • Effects
    • Lights
    or

Use the Render Quality (Video Card) and Graphics Detail (CPU) sliders

Go to the Advanced tab for more settings
    Click OK or Apply
    neverwinter39.png

Note: When in-game, settings will automatically change on the screen

Conclusion:
    Neverwinter runs extremely well on my Geforce 550 Ti. I can turn almost all the graphical settings to high and still get a decent frame rate. This game is beautiful for an Online MMO and its best to play on a desktop with a modern graphics card.
    Normally when I first Enter World, there is a bit of lag as the level loads.

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:
    neverwinter80.jpg

neverwinter81.jpg

neverwinter83.jpg

neverwinter84.jpg

neverwinter87.jpg

neverwinter92.jpg

neverwinter95.jpg

neverwinter103.jpg

neverwinter150.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Daerandin
    I honestly don't know what those others might be. I don't use Mint or Ubuntu so I am not sure what those choices might be. You already have xserver-xorg installed, otherwise you would not be having a graphical desktop. I assume the others are just specific versions compatible with certain older versions.

I just ran a google and the driver you currently have installed seems to be a recent version. So according to this things should be working. The easiest way to check if you are having problems with just this game or other games, would be to install another game in PoL and check if it runs, preferably a recent game.

Otherwise, you can find the log for this game if you go to your home folder and open "PlayOnLinux's virtual drives", open the virtual drive for this game. There you will find a file called "playonlinux.log", it might help discovering what is causing these problems.
  2. booman
    Good question... I'm not totally sure. Might as well try the Xserver-xorg-video-ati, but I have no idea if it will show improvement or not.
    This is a very common gripe with AMD and their Linux drivers.
    I'm glad that I have Nvidia
  3. Amycha
    Hi, this is the first time I tried installing any game on linux using playonLinux. It all works fine untill I press the play button on the Neverwinter Launcher. Then it gives me this fatal error saying DirectX can't render and I need to either restart my computer, check if my drivers are up-to-date or contact someone....

I tried restarting the playonLinux, my computer and everything else I could think of. As well as trying to change the wine version to a more up-to-date one, changing the windows rendering to windows Vista and 7 and even trying to find the drivers for my Ati radeon graphics card... Nothing worked and it all gave me the same error.

Is there any way to fix this?
  4. booman
    Sounds like a driver problem. Are you able to play any other games in Linux?
    AMD drivers are known to be buggy depending on the Graphics chip and the Linux distro. What are you currently running?
  5. Amycha
    Linux Mint Cinamon version... Don't know where to find drivers, but I'm going to check if Champions Online does work (now patching).

If thet doesn't work as well, I'm going to switch my SDD from my laptop into my desktop and I'll retry downloading and installing tomorrow.
    Got no problems with Minecraft so far, and it was my first attempt to an all Windows/Mac game on Linux now.

God, I kinda feel like a Linux noob now :(
    booman likes this.
  6. Amycha
    I have the same problem with Champions online though, there I got through to the "Yes, with lowered settings" part but it gave up after three times "Couldn't create D3D device."

I did re-do this entire checklist again and it didn't work...
  7. booman
    Great, glad you are using Mint. I'm using Mint 16 right now.
    What computer are you using?
    It is Mint 64-bit?
    Click Menu, Administration, Additional Drivers

This should list which drivers you are currently using. I have a feeling its the open source drivers.
    You will probably need to install the fglrx drivers for AMD graphics chips.
    Amycha likes this.
  8. booman
    Don't worry, I have only been Using Linux every day for a year now. I'm loving it, but still learning a lot.
    Amycha likes this.
  9. Amycha
    It is 64-bit and for some reason the additional drivers doesn't show anything to me besides this huge grey block...

As for my computer, it's an old MSI EX610 but with a different, better CPU. Do you possibly know where and how to install working drivers for my ATI??
  10. Amycha
    I'm going to try install Cataclyst from the ATI-driver search... Should be the one :)
  11. booman
    Manually installing drivers is very difficult and can break stuff.
    I recommend using the "Additional Drivers" already in Mint.
    It might just be called "Drivers"

You can also use Synaptics Software Installer and search for fglrx or catalyst
    Amycha likes this.
  12. Amycha
    I hate this stuff :( I installed the fglrx drivers through Synaptics and it did what it had to do... But when I try to open it, it "again" gives me an error being that I appear to not have the drivers installed or they don't work or they aren't compatible with my hardware which is like OLD :p
  13. booman
    Did you reboot after installing?

Old huh? What kind of hardware are you running?
    Is this a laptop?
  14. Amycha
    It is a laptop, running on an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 as graphics, AMD Athlon 64bit TK-55 (won't be much newer than that) I also rebooted 4 times since installing the graphics drivers and it didn't work at all... I'm going to check if it plays Sims Medieval though and if that doesn't work, I know my graphics card is pretty much dead...

If that happens, I'm going to re-do my Mint in my Desktop which is hard-disk-less at home at the moment, and retry to install Neverwinter once more :p
  15. booman
    I'm doing some research on your mobility 4200 and not getting a lot of good feedback. It would be a good idea to post on the Mint forums about how to install the driver.
  16. Amycha
    I'm probably going to re-install my linux mint while my SDD is in my desktop computer, it's a more recent one and I can always buy a nice NVIDIA and plug it in there :)
  17. booman
    Believe me... you won't regret it!
    Amycha likes this.
  18. Charles
    I have a couple of questions regarding certain choices. I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just the video drivers.

As I was going through your guide I noticed that you have us download 1.7.10 version of wine, but use 1.6-rc4 later down the road. Is there a particular reason for going with these compared to the 1.7.14 version?

I'm also wondering if you have tried doing this with ATI drivers? I am currently using a ATI Radeon HD 6850 and seem to have quite a bit of trouble. In fact I have only managed to make it to the character selection screen once.
  19. booman
    Thanks for noticing my discrepancies. I have a feeling a screenshot is still showing 1.6-rc4 and I just didn't update it. Stick with Wine 1.7.10 or newer.

I don't have any AMD video cards so I have not been able to test with their drivers.
    I have read numerous times that AMD drivers are still having problems in the Linux Realm. There is a chance you might need newer AMD drivers or even have to roll back to some older drivers.
  20. booman
    I have completely updated the guide. I noticed some other problems and ended up posting the whole guide all over again. It should be more seamless now.