1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't like forum software and we servers, so I'm setting up a BBS!

Discussion in 'Hacking' started by Aremis, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

Not to replace here mind you, but as a hub for ppl to be able to look up documentation, or just talk about random old crap.

The name will be X8X, and it'll link back to my YouTube channel name wise, but the two entities will operate separately. The goal is to have a community for hackers and the like to be able to pool data and make documentation available about stuff for those who might genuinely need to use what someone else may think of as a toy.

As well, I have a side project with the goal being to document as much 'good' standard hardware as far back as 1995. I want ppl from Indonesia to be able to connect as much as. Y neighbor.

Problem is right now I'm trying to figure out how to make a VPN for connections. I want the server itself to be hosted locally, but I don' t want my family members affected if a bad actor were to get in. So some things I am still trying to figure out.

I am going to use this thread to track my progress, post pix of the logo when I have it done [both prior and post ascii] and eventually post info. If yall are interested in playing with this when the time comes, be my guest.
  2. Aremis

Aremis Member

Learning about DMZ again. It has been a significant amount of time since I really did.... well any of this.
  3. Aremis

Aremis Member

Thinking about how to do updates rn. Will do a post here is a little bit, update to this P#.

===========-=-=-=-=-=============

So I have some thoughts about how to do this. Where I have concluded is that I will be doing a general upgrade to the shelf I have in my room, throwing my R510 on the very top shelf, basically against the ceiling, and instead of using individual boxes like I am used to I am going to actually learn how to use a flatbed server.

I have 5 ish workable TB for storage, and 600gb to work with boot wise, its just..... The last server I used was actually super similar to the desktop I had, so I knew where stuff was. I had a Gen 2 or 3 HP ML370, and my desktop was an HP Compaq D510. This was 2010 by the way, so when this Dell server came out basically.

I have had 2010 dell desktops, and a bit newer, the 2 sectors of machines are nothing alike. So if I have questions I'll throw them up here, in case anyone has an answer, and otherwise I'll be shooting a video of playing with it and posting here as I do stuff.

Anyways need to get moving.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  4. Aremis

Aremis Member

Step 1: Format and modify |
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

As stated my familiarity with Server hardware is.... limited. And, with that, this machine is confusing to me.

By the way my 5 key is fucked up so assume the poweredge as "the machine" from this point on.

First off, I need to select my kernel. Yes, rather than setting up based on OS, I set up based on kernel. As the machine has been out for a long time, most of the tech and its upgrades are covered by 5.6, so that will be my minimum. But seeing as intel has a pile of exploits out and about, I'm more worried about potential intruders, seeing as I am going to be hosting an open service. So, I will be running BunsenLabs as my server OS, with a kernel upgrade going in later on.

BLabs is on the most modern version of 4.9 possible, and rather than have something like ZFS fartmagic, I don't exactly care, so I will have one big raid 1 pool in XFS. I only have 2 drives in the bays, at that with no drive trays, so I will need to take care of other things before I even think about getting more drives and storage.

Next, what the machine will be doing. As I will be mostly running things in VM's and will be using this machine basically as a desktop, I'll be stuffing an HD6770 I have laying around so I can wire it to display on a different monitor than the one I have hooked up to my KVM, and I'll be hooking up synergy so I can control the machine like its just another monitor at my desk that I switch to.

After that, I want to have Boxes or some other decent front end, and to set up TrueNas, a CalDav instance (either on truenas or on BLabs), and I need 2 windows VM's for OS hacking reasons.

The machine itself has 88 GB of ram. At the moment I have the ram set up for "optimal" whatever whatever but I need to set up a tool called Volatility to hack windows VM's and watch ram space, so I will be doing testing to see if I can get the addresses lined up evenly and cleanly and make sorting through everything by hand easier, and I'll post any notes I have.

I'm only using 1 ten core, not 2, so I am not able to use all the slots to evenly divide everything and not give a ****, but that might change later. I haven't decided if I am making my desktop just a gaming computer yet or not.

PROBABLY I SHOULD DO THAT BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE LOL
  5. Aremis

Aremis Member

I just found my 1650 in a box. I'm gunna clean it up and do comparative tests with it before I do the server. I'll maybe make a thread for that. IDK. I think that data is probably widely known, its just me comparing the Dies. IDK lmk maybe I will.

My main thing here is being able to play tarkov and work with large files. If the 4 core can do it, I'll appreciate the more cores in my server long term. I know my 2690's were sourced, so they are very very powerful chips compared to this wimpy ass 4 core chip.
  6. Aremis

Aremis Member

Correction on ram, and CPU, I confused the machine with my 620. I don't have open that shit I'm good.

Hmmm, still, do I need 10 cores in my desktop? Snappier than the 4 core.... Significantly.... I'll leave it alone.

Well I'm having OS Setup issues... No bunsenlabs, ubuntu maybe?

2 day later dit: Not worth bumping the post yet

Done with being overtly sick and with xmas garbage, I'm looking into this again ye? I'm still baffled by this. I messaged someone I knew had some history, and their response was that they can be...... picky. I can understand why there are server specific OS's now.

Thing is I don't know how to use a server OS like that. But, I have backed out and thought about it and I'm like "This thing is doing VM's, just use proxmox and gun it" so thats what I will try to do.

Back later.

Edit 2: Yeah no **** kernel planning that works with desktops. I have to format a platform.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  7. Aremis

Aremis Member

Update, I have proxmox, a web UI, and an unending level of confusion for how I'm supposed to do literally fucking anything at all

If I can't get this to work I'll.... maybe.... switch to something else
  8. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    Lolz, that doesn't sound like you