1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo 3 Reaper Of Souls in PlayOnLinux

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, May 13, 2021.

• by booman, May 13, 2021 at 1:40 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Reaper of Souls was on sale recently so I picked up two copies hoping it will runs as well as Diablo 3...
    It runs great!

I previously posted a Diablo 3 guide in PlayOnLinux which still works except now you can use Proton GE:
    http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/diablo-3-guide.1691/

Continue into Act V and then enable Adventure mode. Use your favorite character and crank the difficulty up to Torment... slay new minions, mini-bosses and new BOSSES! Fight through heaven once again and stop Malthael Angel of Death! Blizzard has out-done themselves again! The levels are more detailed, more interactive, enemies are clever and fun to kill! I can't wait to try Adventure mode.

As expected, Reaper of Souls runs really well with Proton. I did have to add the argument: -d3d11legacy
    This allows Proton to handle the DirectX 10/11 compatibility. Battle.net also is running in Proton GE so we were able to play co-op without a lot of work. Glorious Egg Roll does it again!

Specs:
    Mint 20.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Nvidia 460
    PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
    ProtonGE 5.8
    Argument: -d3d11legacy

diablo-1.jpg diablo-0.jpg diablo-2.jpg diabl-0.jpg diabl-3.jpg diablo-5.jpg diablo-6.jpg diablo-7.jpg diablo-8.jpg diablo-10.jpg diablo-12.jpg diablo-13.jpg diablo-14.jpg diablo-15.jpg diablo-16.jpg diablo-17.jpg diabl-1.jpg diablo-19.jpg diablo-20.jpg diablo-21.jpg diablo-22.jpg diablo-25.jpg diablo-26.jpg diablo-27.jpg diablo-28.jpg diablo-29.jpg diablo-30.jpg diablo-31.jpg diablo-33.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, May 13, 2021.

1. Daerandin
    I've been playing this a lot, as well as Starcraft 2. Both can be run from the same install, and neither requires any specific libraries to run either. Corefonts is the only thing I have installed. I am also using 64-bit wine so I can use the 64-bit versions of the games.

With installing dxvk in the prefix (WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix setup_dxvk install) I get really good performance in Starcraft 2. I have not noticed any difference in Diablo however. Both me and my wife play this game, and she is currently over 100 Paragon levels above me, which is something she love to mention all the time. We usually team up on adventure mode, trying to continually improve our characters. Just so we can increase the difficulty further.
    booman likes this.
  2. booman
    Thats awesome!
    On reddit a gamer posted that Wine-staging works good with Diablo 3, but I mostly had success with ProtonGE. I'm also playing co-op with my wife, we initially played through Act IV two times, but now we have Reaper of Souls which includes Act V... its pretty dang fun! We can not enable Adventure mode until we complete Act V, but I've heard really good things.
  3. Daerandin
    The adventure mode opens up the entire game world, letting you freely travel between all the acts, taking on bosses again if you want.

There are also new areas available in adventure mode, as well as an important new quest. And you can do repeating bounties, and nephalem rifts.
    booman likes this.
  4. booman
    That is exactly what we are looking for! Can't wait to try Adventure mode...
    Unfortunately our characters each have over 5 million coins, so no sure what to spend it on?
  5. Daerandin
    I had to read up on what Reaper of Souls adds to the game, and it's a lot more than I knew. I've always had it so I didn't know what you were missing out with just plain Diablo 3. I don't want to spoil too much, because you have a LOT to discover. One thing I want to point out is that after you reach the level cap, which is 70, you start gaining Paragon levels. Each paragon level lets you improve your character in some way (movement speed, life, damage, healing, etc.), and there is no limit to Paragon levels.

And don't worry about your gold, you can spend it all quite easily. In adventure mode you can do a type of challenge called "Greater Rift", and before you start it you can spend a lot of gold to increase the reward.
    booman likes this.
  6. booman
    That is GREAT news! This is exactly why I purchased Reaper of Souls!
    We love Diablo 3 and all of the features, amazing visuals and high-speed action...
    The only two other games I've compared to Diablo 3 is Torchlight II and Grim Dawn. I eventually purchased all of the Grim Dawn expansions and they are amazing, but one thing that eventually become old is how the enemies attack. They basically hangout in an area totally static, then when your character is in range they attack like a swarm. Sometimes there are so many enemies swarming that it slows down the game. So I learned to creep in and wake-up a few enemies, take them out, then wake up some more. Which isn't as much fun.

Diablo on-the-other-hand is more dynamic... not much, but just enough to make it interesting. One thing I've missed in Action RPGs is more dynamic enemies. Enemies that travel in packs, or guard areas or roam around the level. This would be more interesting then just taking hour horde after horde. Gets kinda old. Games that achieve this are Borderlands, Skyrim, Assasin's Creed series, Deliverance. They all have living worlds where there are guards travelling from town to town and people living in towns or merchants in towns. Albion kinda achieves this, but its real MMO gamers roaming the world not NCPs. So it has a dynamic action to it as well.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a lot more content, action, storyline and upgrading my character.
    Daerandin likes this.