1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Crossfire On Linux?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rolandttg, Aug 6, 2013.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Agreed! DJ could be a great asset to GOL but he's already committed to POL forums.
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm not the jealous kind! ":O}
  3. mikus

mikus New Member

I'd like to think so, as I've read enough of the limitations in xorg to know that Wayland is supposed to answer a lot of this, but all in all Wayland is a no-show at this point after years of promise, and everything works great in xorg until any kind of compositing kicks in. All downhill from there. It always has been since 8.04 when compiz unforked to become compiz fusion, and went mainstream, much to my dismay. The path of least resistance has always been to simply disable it, and away go troubles down the drain. I miss gnome-terminal real transparency, but that's about it.

As slow as AMD is to update for new xorgs, and from at least initial stances toward Wayland, I can't bank much on them at this point, so using Quantal right now might be my last big jump for a bit. Likewise, I doubt Mir will be in a state to use, even if AMD graciously decided to support it, so not sure there's a lot of forward path.

That said, my next total reinstall I'll likely just go to real Debian as Ubuntu ideals I like less and less (make it pretty|easy for l-users!).
  4. mikus

mikus New Member

Xinerama has never worked right for me trying to use it, but last time I tried I had odd paired monitors, and x really seemed to dislike that. I don't really ever consider it anymore.

Interesting to know on the nvidia's, though 4 is pretty useless for gaming, 3 isn't enough (spoiled now by 5), where 5 would be the sweet spot for me as I don't have a reticle in the monitor split. Dumb they haven't pulled their heads out of their bung to do this as their competition seems to sell enough of the 6-port cards to accomplish this.

So you say AMD's can/will run across cards to framebuffer and have seen work, with or without crossfire? I see a lot of conflict around the subject, and really not keen to throw down on another 7970 matrix card to match mine to find out it doesn't (not to mention the monitors...).

Thanks for the input by the way, glad to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to try these things.

Here's a shot of minecraft and secondlife on all 6. :)

Attached Files:

danrok likes this.
  5. nebulawars

nebulawars New Member

I have to join in here, cause I was looking for information about running dual Radeon cards on linux.

Now.. I currently running 3 projectors and 3 screens on a Club 3D 7870 Eyefinity 6 on Ubuntu.
    Works fine, but textures and objects loads slow to the graphics card, and I can not figure out if its the PCI x16 bus that is sustained or not. How do you really measure performance of GPU and Bus ? In my game, flight simulator X-plane I can see that the GPU isn't running fully, so I would _guess_ its the Bus.. but how do I know?

My question was anyhow, should I add an other Eyefinity card or not.. might need two more screens anyhow :)
    Now guys, running 6 displays and thinking of adding a card supporting an other 6 displays. How does that count on your coolness? that would be outputs for 12 screens. (Not that I would use more then 8.. but anyhow)
    DJYoshaBYD likes this.
  6. DJYoshaBYD

DJYoshaBYD New Member

Home page:
    :D
  7. DJYoshaBYD

DJYoshaBYD New Member

Home page:
    Do it to it. I decided to go with a multi-seat setup, though I am still running 6 monitors via 2 computers and 2 graphics cards. Synergy, clever xorg.conf, e19, and a s**t load of patience. haha.
  8. mikus

mikus New Member

So I'd recently upgraded to a 7970 from my 6970, mostly as graphics always seem to get wonky in things like secondlife, but that's really more their crap threading functions (or lack of) in the client. So far no real difference, but was hoping it would bump the framebuffer from 16384 pixels to 32768 or something more useful with the advent or QHD+ displays. I'm eyeing those cheap sekei's led's at 50" qhd, thinking I could do 4x wide within that, effectively getting 8x displays wide, giving me 3 to window in, one for everything else, but inputs are an issue.

I don't need sli for gpu processing, rather simple port use as those sekei's are using 4x dvi/hdmi ports to display the 4x 1080p displays vs. high-end tv's that'll use displayport, hdmi2.0, or something that can multi-stream over the bus. My asus matrix card can do 6x out, but from what I know I *can* do multiple cards for ports or gpu, just not both. I'd be good with this, but I don't want to buy another 7970 to find out there's some stupid bug or shitty driver issues beyond what is already shitty about amd drivers (ie. gradual perpetual growing instability with gl use over time destabilizing the system).
  9. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

Good stuff fellas! Keep it going.