1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neverwinter Free MMO Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 2, 2013.

• by booman, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    neverwinter91.jpg

There are already a lot of Dungeons & Dragons games out there. From board games to card games and video games. The Lore of D&D is nothing new to most of us...
    But I am excited to see Neverwinter appear as a Free game with the ability to use everything available in the game without having to spend a penny. The graphics are beautiful, the the world is huge, fight along side friends, customize your character and all the rest of the expected RPG qualities.

neverwinter101.jpg

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing Neverwinter in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the downloadable version of Neverwinter. Steam and Arc versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Note: March 2017 Perfect World Entertainment ended support for Windows XP and Direct X 9. This guide no longer applies until we can pursue more testing in Wine.

Mint 17 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.8
    Wine: 1.7.40

Wine Installation

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Look for the Wine Version: 1.7.40
    Note: Try using stable Wine 1.8 and 1.8-staging

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Wine 1.7.40 is installed and you can close this window

Download the Neverwinter installer here:
    http://download.perfectworld.com/nw/neverwinter_setup.exe

Save in a folder on your desktop
    neverwinter02.png

PlayOnLinux Setup

Launch PlayOnLinux
    Click Install
    neverwinter05.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    neverwinter06.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive"
    Click Next
    neverwinter08.png

Name the virtual drive: neverwinter
    Click Next
    neverwinter09.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some libraries
    Click Next
    neverwinter10.png

Select Wine 1.7.40
    Click Next
    neverwinter11.png

Select "32 bits windows installation"
    Click Next
    neverwinter12.png

Wine Configuration

Applications Tab
    Windows Version: Windows 7
    Click Apply
    neverwinter13.png

Graphics Tab
    Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
    Check "Emulate a virtual desktop"
    Desktop size: 1024x768
    Click OK
    neverwinter14.png

PlayOnLinux Packages (Libraries, Components, DLL's)

Check the following packages:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_d3dx9
    • POL_Install_tahoma
    Click Next
    neverwinter15.png

Note: All packages will automatically download and install

Installing Neverwinter

Click Browse
    neverwinter16.png

Navigate to the folder on your desktop
    Select "neverwinter_setup.exe"
    Click Open
    neverwinter17.png

Click Next again

Select language
    Click OK
    neverwinter19.png

Click Next
    neverwinter20.png

Click "I Agree"
    neverwinter21.png

Click Next
    neverwinter22.png

Uncheck "Create a desktop icon"
    Click Install
    neverwinter23.png

Uncheck "Launch Neverwinter"
    Click Finish
    neverwinter24.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select "Neverwinter.exe"
    Click Next
    neverwinter25.png

Name your shortcut: Neverwinter
    Click Next
    neverwinter26.png

Select "I don't want to make another shortcut"
    Click Next
    neverwinter27.png

PlayOnLinux Configure

Select Neverwinter
    Click Configure
    neverwinter28.png

General Tab
    Wine version: 1.7.40
    neverwinter29.png

Note: Click the + to download other versions of Wine. Click the down-arrow to select other versions of Wine

Display Tab
    Video memory size: Enter the amount of memory your video card/chip uses
    neverwinter30.png

Close Configure

Launching Neverwinter

Select Neverwinter
    Click Run
    neverwinter31.png

Login with your account credentials
    neverwinter33.png

Neverwinter will begin downloading and patching
    In total the game is about 13 Gigabytes
    neverwinter34.png

Note: This process can take several hours depending on your internet speed

When its done downloading click PLAY
    neverwinter35.png

Long Cryptic loading screen
    At first launch, this Cryptic screen can literally take 15-20 minutes
    Please be patient and take a break
    neverwinter36.png

Sometimes the login will fail and end up at this login screen
    Enter your account credentials
    Click LOGIN
    neverwinter37.png

Once in game, select your character
    Click Enter World
    neverwinter38.png

Optimization

Click Options
    Click Graphics Tab

Adjust resolution to match your Linux desktop

Adjust:
    • Screen
    • Detail
    • Effects
    • Lights
    or

Use the Render Quality (Video Card) and Graphics Detail (CPU) sliders

Go to the Advanced tab for more settings
    Click OK or Apply
    neverwinter39.png

Note: When in-game, settings will automatically change on the screen

Conclusion:
    Neverwinter runs extremely well on my Geforce 550 Ti. I can turn almost all the graphical settings to high and still get a decent frame rate. This game is beautiful for an Online MMO and its best to play on a desktop with a modern graphics card.
    Normally when I first Enter World, there is a bit of lag as the level loads.

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:
    neverwinter80.jpg

neverwinter81.jpg

neverwinter83.jpg

neverwinter84.jpg

neverwinter87.jpg

neverwinter92.jpg

neverwinter95.jpg

neverwinter103.jpg

neverwinter150.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 2, 2013.

1. booman
    Yup, I make sure to close any open program before launching a game. Or end up using Openbox
  2. omraf
    HI all
    after the recent update I cant play with the game i get this error/ scroll down u can find the debug log
    [​IMG]
    linux mint 17 64 bit
    asus k53s laptop with geforce gt 520m
    POL 4.2.2 wine 1.6

[08/15/14 14:44:56] - Running wine-1.7.24 ArcLauncher.exe (Working directory : /home/oommeerr/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Arc/drive_c/Program Files/Perfect World Entertainment/Arc)
    fixme:shell:SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID L"PERFECTWORLD.ARC.2.0": stub
    fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L"ArcService"): stub
    fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0004,0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),0x0002,0x00000000,0x72df20,(nil)): stub
    fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
    fixme:process:WTSGetActiveConsoleSessionId stub
    fixme:wtsapi:WTSQueryUserToken 0 0x72dc80
    fixme:advapi:CreateProcessAsUserW (nil) L"C:\\Program Files\\Perfect World Entertainment\\Arc\\ArcUpdate.exe" L"" (nil) (nil) 0 0x00000430 0x340000 L"C:\\Program Files\\Perfect World Entertainment\\Arerr:eek:le:NDRCContextBinding invalid handle 0x404603
    fixme:shell:SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID L"PERFECTWORLD.ARC.2.0": stub
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken QueryInformationToken( ..., TokenSessionId, ...) semi-stub
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken QueryInformationToken( ..., TokenSessionId, ...) semi-stub
    fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x1004e 4a 1 (nil)
    err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
    err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} not registered
    err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} could be created for context 0x1
    err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} not registered
    err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {77f10cf0-3db5-4966-b520-b7c54fd35ed6} could be created for context 0x1
    fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x20054 4a 1 (nil)
    fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x10076 4a 1 (nil)
    fixme:eek:le:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7c74d430, 0x1c7f68, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7c74d430
    fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
    fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
    fixme:eek:le:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
    err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
    fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x1dde5b4 0x00000ff0 0x1dde5fc) Stub!
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x1dde48c, overlapped 0x9fedc8): stub
    fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x1dde5f4 0x00000ff0 0x1dde63c) Stub!
    fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x4650000 0 0x33fb08 4
    fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessor (0xfffffffe): stub
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x4760000 0 0x33df6c 4
    fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessor (0x7c): stub
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d98c,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7d7a8430, 0x184e78, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7d7a8430
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d4b8,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:wbemprox:enum_class_object_Next timeout not supported
    fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
    fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessor (0xb4): stub
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x33c7e8, overlapped 0x473b778): stub
    fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x33c8e8 0x00000ff0 0x33c930) Stub!
    fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
    fixme:iphlpapi:CancelIPChangeNotify (overlapped 0x473b778): stub
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x47f0000 0 0x33fc78 4
    fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessor (0xfffffffe): stub
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x52e0000 0 0x33fc70 4
    fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff73b0000
    fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff7390000
    fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff7320000
    fixme:bitmap:CreateBitmapIndirect planes = 4
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d5c4,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0xf6e3d430, 0xe6666e8, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
    fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0xf6e3d430
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33d0e8,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:wbemprox:enum_class_object_Next timeout not supported
    fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33de48,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:d3d11:D3D11CreateDevice stub: adapter (nil), driver_type D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE, swrast (nil), flags 0x1, feature_levels 0x33e5dc, levels 0x6, sdk_version 7, device (nil), feature_level 0x33e5fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33dbe8,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33dbf8,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0xec0000 0 0x33fc8c 4
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0xfd0000 0 0x33fc00 4

please help me
  3. booman
    That is a lot of security errors
    I hope it isn't related to the same problem I've been having with Swordsman.
    How far do you get?
    Does it crash or not start at all?

Also, have you tried with other versions of Wine?
  4. omraf
    i did try diff versions and game dont even start/
    i get only the patch window if u know what i mean
  5. allenskd
    I should add when things like those updates happen always take a look at WINEHQ AppDB section

Jumping to another WINE version suggested could help!
  6. omraf
    ty for the reply

i did check before i posted here and nothing related
  7. omraf
    [08/15/14 17:44:57] - Running wine-1.7.20 Neverwinter.exe (Working directory : /home/oommeerr/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Arc/drive_c/Program Files/Perfect World Entertainment/Neverwinter_en)

i get this aswell
    booman what was the problem with swordsman and did u find an solution
  8. selto
    Hello and thanks for this easy guide!

i have been able to install arc, neverwinter and perfect world. when i try to play neverwinter i have really low fps and im unable to play it, but when i play perfect world it works quite fine exept that skill images does not apear do u know any solution for this?

Btw im using OpenSUSE 13.1 with intel core i5 and nVidia GeForce GT 325M

Thanks again and sorry about my english!
  9. booman
    Welcome to the forum!
    Do you have the Nvidia proprietary drivers installed? I'm not sure how to check in SuSE, but without the drivers, most game will be slow or not run at all.
  10. selto
    No, i've got 2 graphic cards, intel (integrated) and nvidia but i do not know how to use nvidia graphic card. Now im trying a fresh install becouse nVidia install crashed the pc. I'll keep testing

Thanks
  11. booman
    Oh yeah, I've heard that can be a mess with Linux. Two GPU's and how to activate one and disable the other.
    You might want to check out Bumblebee
    I don't know that much about it, but have heard its the solution for dual GPU's
  12. Aryvandaar
    Is there anyone here who plays Neverwinter?
  13. booman
    I used to. Played solo about 6 months ago.
    I'm too busy with Drakensang and Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed Revelations right now.
    I plan to go back and play some more
  14. Aryvandaar
    What kind of game is Drakensang? Also, do you run Battlefield 3 in Linux?
  15. booman
    Ah, one of my favorites for sure! I'm not a "huge" fan of MMO's but Drakensang is my success story with PlayOnLinux.
    Drakensang is an MMO RPG with a lot of Player vs Environment. IT really encourages cooperative gameplay, which I love!
    The best part of Drakensang is the 14 Megabyte (Yes I wrote "Megabyte") installer and the super fast loading times. You can download, install and start playing in minutes.
    All of your characters specs are saved online so you can play just about anywhere.
    I really need to post a new guide for Drakensang because it runs flawlessly in PlayOnLinux.

As for Battlefield 3, I tried running it in Linux and gave up. Newer versions of Wine have proven some success with Origins client, so I will try again. The biggest problem was getting Battlefield 3 to install.
    So, no, I'm not playing in Linux. I still have 6 gaming computers that I need to convert to Linux boxes when I'm ready.
  16. Amycha
    I finally re-installed my Linux in my desktop so it should work nicely in a while, still patching now...

Don't know what graphics card it has though, it's an on-board one from MSI o_O:oops:
  17. booman
    Ooh... knowing what graphics card/chip you have is critical for playing games.
    Do you know the model # for your MSI board?
    You can look it up and find out what graphics integrated chip it has.

This is important because if there is no proprietary driver for it, you may have problems playing games.
  18. Angela
    Not entirely sure here, but the Arc client says it downloads Neverwinter but never gets the Play button when finished. It just goes back to the install button and asks to install again (as seen here).

[​IMG]

I even changed the destination folder. When I did so, nothing was in the folder after is said it finished downloading. Very odd problem, indeed.

Anyone else having an issue with this? Otherwise, the instructions have been flawless through getting the Arc client installed.
  19. allenskd
    I used Steam to install it, super easy if you already have the Steam client installed. I never tried with the Arc installer but rest assured that it will download completely.
  20. booman
    No that is strange. So you downloaded the entire game after you clicked "Install"?
    But it doesn't see that the game is installed?
    How long did it take to download?
    You may want to try closing Arc and PlayOnLinux and then launching again.
    I haven't tried Neverwinter in a long time, so maybe its time for me to test it again.
    The Arc client may have been updated and broke something.

Also, try launching Neverwinter from its game folder as a test.