1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Daerandin, Feb 2, 2014.

• by Daerandin, Feb 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Bloodlines is a game that takes place in the World of Darkness role playing games franchise. It depicts a darker version of our world, where vampires exist in secret societies. You play the role of a newly embraced vampire, trying to get by in your new existence. More powerful forces drag you into the struggles between the various vampire factions.

title.png

The guide will explain how to setup Steam in PlayOnLinux so that you can install and play the steam version of Vampire Bloodlines.

Tips & Specs

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux explained

Arch Linux 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux 4.2.2
    Wine 1.7.8

Setup PlayOnLinux

Launch PlayOnLinux and select 'Tools' and 'Manage Wine versions'

In the new window that appears, scroll through the 'Available Wine versions' box to find '1.7.8' and click on the right pointing arrow to install it, afterwards it will appear on the right side under 'Installed Wine versions'
    If you have a 64-bits system, make sure you have selected the 'Wine versions (x86)' tab above

bloodlines_01.png

Just close the window. Back at the main PlayOnLinux window, select 'Install'

Click on 'Install a non-listed program'

bloodlines_02.png

Select 'Install a program in a new virtual drive'

bloodlines_03.png

Name the virtual drive "Steam_bloodlines"

bloodlines_04.png

On the next window, select 'Use another version of Wine', 'Configure wine' and 'Install some libraries'

bloodlines_05.png

On the wine selection window, select the 1.7.8 version and click 'Next'. Make sure you select '32-bits window installation' if you are on a 64-bit system.

bloodlines_06.png

When the wine configuration window appear, select the 'Graphics' tab, and click the checkbox for all four options. Make sure that you set the resolution to your desktop resolution. My desktop is at 1920 x 1080, so I set that for the wine virtual desktop resolution.

bloodlines_07.png

Note: Even though the language is Norwegian in my screenshot, the layout will look the same for you

When you come to the selection of libraries, select the following:
    • POL_Install_gdiplus
    • POL_Install_steam
    Then click Next

When it asks you for the install file to run, click on 'Cancel'

bloodlines_08.png

The virtual drive has already been set up by this point and there is no need to run any install file. Now back at the main PlayOnLinux window, click on 'Configure', it does not matter what game shortcut is selected when you click 'Configure' so don't worry about that.

On the left side, find the virtual drive you just set up, it will be listed with the same name you typed in during set-up. Look for 'Steam_bloodlines'. Select the virtual drive, then click 'Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive'

bloodlines_09.png

Select Steam.exe and click next. Name the shortcut "Steam-Bloodlines" then click 'I don't want to make another shortcut' and click next.

bloodlines_10.png

Now click on the 'Display' tab on the top. Change 'Video memory size' to reflect your GPU memory.

bloodlines_11.png

Steam overlay issue

The current version of Steam have one problem when running in wine. Games will usually crash immediately upon start, or as soon as you click on your keyboard or start playing. To solve this problem you have to disable the Steam overlay. This can be done from Steam settings, but in my experience that may cause games to not close properly, making Steam think the game is still running after you shut it down.

So the best way to solve this problem, in my opinion, is to from the 'Wine' tab in the PlayOnLinux configuration. Just make sure you have selected the virtual drive for your Steam game, then click on 'Configure wine'

overlay_01.png

Don't worry about the Norwegian language in my screenshots, the layout will look exactly the same for you.

Select the 'Libraries' tab, and under 'New override for library:' type in "gameoverlayrenderer" and click 'Add'

overlay_02.png

Now find and select it on the list below, then click on 'Edit'

overlay_03.png

In the new window that appears, select 'Disable', then simply click OK to close the wine config window.

overlay_04.png

Game configuration

At this point you can start Steam from the Shortcut in the main PlayOnLinux window. First Steam will update

bloodlines_12.png

Then you can log in to your Steam account

bloodlines_13.png

Now just find the game in your game library, and click Install

bloodlines_14.png

Important

When the game is done installing, right click on the game and select 'Properties', then go to the 'Updates' tab, and set the game to never update automatically. This is required for the next step where we will install an unofficial patch.

If you allow Steam to automatically update the game, then it will detect the game files as incorrect after they are patched, and Steam will download the game again. This goes for all Steam games you want to install any unofficial patches or mods over, you must always disable automatic updating of the game first.

Patching the Game

The devs never got the chance to squash all bugs and polish the game how they wanted, thankfully game fans have taken the time to fix the bugs that were left and even restore content that the devs did not have time to include. There are two different patches available for the game. One is called "The True Patch" which only contains bugfixes. Then there is the "Unofficial Patch" which contains bugfixes, and some balance fixes too. The Unofficial Patch also has a "Plus" mode where it adds a lot of extra content to the game that were in the game files, but not implemented.

For this guide, we will install the Unofficial Patch, so first download in from The Patches Scrolls

At the time of writing, the most recent Patch version is 8.8, so select it and download the english version.

bloodlines_15.png

Once it is downloaded, make sure you have your Steam-Bloodlines shortcut selected in PlayOnLinux, then click on 'Configure'

Go to the 'Miscellaneous' tab and click on 'Run a .exe in this virtual drive'

bloodlines_16.png

Navigate to the Patch you just downloaded and select it

bloodlines_17.png

When you are prompted to select the game folder, select 'Browse' and find the correct folder. It will be located under C:\Program Files\Steam\SeamApps\common\Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines

bloodlines_18.png

Select the folder for the game and click Ok

bloodlines_19.png

You will be asked if you want to install the Basic or Plus version of the patch. The Basic version only fix bugs, so if you want the game to be like the original release then you should select the Basic version. However if you'd like a lot of added content, then the Plus version is the choice for you.

bloodlines_20.png

When the patch is finished installing, make sure you select to 'Run widescreen ResPatch' before you click Finish

bloodlines_21.png

This will start a second patch that will let you play the game in widescreen resolutions. First you must select the main folder for the game, shown in the screenshot below.

bloodlines_22.png

Here you can click on the correct aspect ratio for your monitor. If you don't find your desired resolution among those that are automatically generated, then you can simply edit one yourself to be exactly as you want it. Make sure that you click on 'Patch It' before you Quit

bloodlines_23.png

Now the game is ready to play.

If you experience issues with the keyboard not seeming to work, then simply Alt-TAB out of the game, then Alt-TAB back and the keyboard should work fine.

Screenshots

bloodlines_24.png bloodlines_25.png
    bloodlines_26.png bloodlines_27.png
    bloodlines_28.png bloodlines_29.png
    mrdeathjr28 and booman like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Daerandin, Feb 2, 2014.

1. booman
    Are those laptops or desktops?
    If you have a desktop, there is a large range of video cards out there. I normally spend over $100 for a nice card, but be careful... if its too powerful you might have to purchase a power supply as well.
    Just make sure to get an Nvidia GeForce video card. AMD drivers are known to be buggy
  2. Daerandin
    You could still give it a try. If the other integrated graphics cards are much newer, then there is a chance you can run the game. Keep in mind that the card you originally tried this game on is very old.
  3. Eric Hawk
    Yes, those are all desktops, but one is even older than the one tried LOL...and the other is only a year younger. I doubt I'll spend any money to improve them. Even the Acer Aspire One netbook I have on loan to a friend uses an Intel integrated graphics card, but it is newer. When I get it back, I'll give it a try...thanks for your help! The old desktops I have run all the other games I play, so not a big deal. I enjoy watching the Bloodlines runthroughs I see on Youtube... LOL
  4. booman
    No problem, if you ever decide to upgrade, you won't regret it. Hundreds of games will play in Linux and a decent Nvidia card will make all the difference.
  5. Eachna
    I love this game, I like to play it a few times a year. I use Crossover Linux on Gentoo. I have it installed now, and it runs beautifully, except it doesn't support my resolution. ResPatcher.exe dies with no output so I'm stuck running it in windowed mode.

Still, totally "worth" it for the story :D.
  6. Daerandin
    I've never tried crossover, but the ResPatchers.exe fails to run if you don't have gdiplus installed, my guide mentions installing it. If you are able to use winetricks with crossover, then you could try to install gdiplus which should make the resolution patch work.
  7. booman
    Just released...

Bloodlines: Antitribu Mod

Atmosphere / Visualization / Diversity:
    • More than 600 new models
    • More than 1500 new textures
    • More than 2000 new sounds
    • Replacing many common models such as pedestrians, clubbers, goths, dancers, the waiters, security guards, cops, gang members, etc. So no longer see "clone attack." Many npc's have combinational clothing and gear. Many companions have new and / or alternative models and textures (Heather, Yuki, Jeanette...) Also added new models and textures vehicles (some of which are interactive).
    • Added many new sounds. All disciplines, weapons, new npc's, all main maps have new sounds and music. All clubs now have different soundtracks playing when you enter the club.
    Maps and Quests
    • As the main quest for Sabbat not ready, we disable all sabbat maps and quests. So while we have only 2 new semi-main quests and 4 new maps along side a very a large number of random events and sidequets.
    • The walkthough of all major and some side quests have changed. On all major maps the geometry or the order of walkthrough is changed; added doors, locks, computers, traps, explosions, new logic puzzles or physical objects or other interactive items. Also added some new cut-scenes.
    Additional Trivia:
    • new main menu, intro, load screens, HUD, descriptions...
    • New particles and blood stains make the game more realistic and scary.
    • Added some adult only content
    • a reference to the famous products of modern culture (movies, games, etc.)
    • a bit of dark humor
    • and respecting application of WoD setting...
  8. Daerandin
    This is awesome!!! I NEED to play this, but I might drop off the face of the earth if I get into this now.
  9. booman
    Maybe I shouldn't have posted it :p

I would ask you to test it in PlayOnLinux, but you would probably get addicted right away
  10. Daerandin
    I will definitely test it. I expect to have time this weekend to give this a proper testing. If it works I will definitely do a separate guide for it, and link to it from this guide.
  11. booman
    You might not have to do a separate guide. You could probably add the steps to this one.
    Thats your call of course...
    I have done guides for games like Unreal Tournament 2 & mods