1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why We Want Native Ports Only (Gaming On Linux)

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, Jul 6, 2015.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    That really sucks. Everyone knows that most Linux gamers still have to use Windows at work.
    Either way I am supporting Windows whether I like it or not.
  2. Aremis

Aremis Member

Seems like I'm late to the party but what the hell why not.

I would want a native port purely for the fact that the industry should start learning about Linux systems and stop being scared of them. I talked to a game dev on IRC about a week or two ago and they were scared that if they put their game in the linux pool they would have to make it open-aource or that the linux community would hack it and release the code.

I find it really stupid that this stigma exists. It's notlike we're different from BSD, OSX, or windows itself. We just aren't sneaky bastards.

If I had a native port I could watch it, see what it's doing, and report any sneakiness that I saw in it running on my machine. I can do that with all games in linux.

On top of that a native port runs 10X better than a wine wrapper in some cases. Unless the port is built specifically to work with the wrapper, most cases I have seen were just shitty scripts with the wrapper and the game didn't work anyways.

Native FTW
  3. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

And people wonder why I'm hostile to such devs..

Have you guys noticed how most big companies complain how hard it is to make games for Linux when smaller dev companies and indie dev companies don't usually complain? Some of these dev companies who doesn't complain make some pretty complex games as well.

In general I blacklist those who whine about such things. I don't want to hear it. If they don't want to port to Linux because of their lack of skill in Linux programming (LOL, if you can even call it that), then they don't have to. I'm tired of hearing them whine.

I really do appreciate it for those who port their games properly to Linux or make proper natives, but I just don't accept this ignorant attitude that some devs have.
    Aremis likes this.
  4. booman

Home page:
    I'm tired of whiners who whine about a lot of things. Linux gamers are a minority and we won't get a lot of benefits for a long time. I'm happy that we are getting all the gaming attention this year from several outlets and I have nothing to complain about.
    I'll only have good and productive input for everyone.
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  5. Aremis

Aremis Member

I think the polls are skewed and theres more than 1% of computer users out there using linux. Since a lot of users have to use windows I feel like because of that there are people who end up on both sides. Take that percentage away and it's probably more like 7 or 8%. That seems small but that is still a substantial number
  6. booman

Home page:
    Agreed, polls can really prove anything
    I wonder what the real numbers are for Steam?
    I don't really care about percentage, I'm just curious how many people are downloading and playing games in Linux Steam
  7. Aremis

Aremis Member

I honestly think we may never get full ports at this point just because we are what we are.

However if you didn't see my post from earlier this week you guys need to see this.

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/gta-v-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough

This is where our world is going to go because this will be the best way possible to do it. If I can do this on my machine I am not going to care about native ports. I won't even use native steam. I have seen people use KVM before but they never provided how they did it and it appeared to be different for many people because at the time UEFO and BIOS were butting heads in the industry.

Someone here needs to try this and if it's not me someone else will pick it up.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Yeah I watched that video... Pretty cool, but unfortunately you still need a copy of Windows.
    Definitely a cool work-around like Steam streaming, but much better performance
  9. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    You guys are really improving my understanding of the forces in play here!
    Truth is I'm hard pressed to make a contribution.

But as I read your insights concerning steam I kept thinking of the 20 or more Win-steam games
    That have sat unused in my Steam library. Also the countless hours I've spent getting or trying to get those games run in Linux...

I'm thinking that Steam Linux has to know I have those games sitting there unused because I never boot to windows.

If I don't use them, I don't use Steam. If I don't use Steam that much I'm unlikely to see anything I went to buy.

Surly this must be of some concern to Steam... How likely is Steam to become a major Linux games player?
    Their release of new Linux playable games has not thrilled me one bit.
    Thanks for the education!":O}
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  10. booman

Home page:
    Good points Daniel.
    Steam is one of those monsters that can fill a gap for just about anyone.
    It really comes down to the game you play.
    I love playing:
    • Action RPGs
    • Puzzle Games
    • Action 3rd Person
    • MMO RPGs
    • FPS
    Steam has plenty of these categories for me. The Windows games mostly work in PlayOnLinux/Wine as long as they are Direct X 9 compatible. The native Linux games on Steam supply most of those for me as well.

I'm pretty satisfied at this point, but of course it would be nice to have more newer & older AAA titles ported to Linux.
    Right now I'm playing about 45% Steam games, 45% GOG games. Some native, most are Windows titles. The rest are free-to-play, indie or Humble Bundle games. I still have a bookcase full of retail games as well.