1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"What's he got in box!? What''s in the BOX!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel~, Jun 10, 2016.

?

Lemon Spice cake! Who needs it!!

Poll closed Jun 17, 2016.
  1. The Spice Girls?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Lemon Aid Brigade?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lemon Pickers?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Need we go on like this?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What? We're going some place?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell yeah! Let's go get some choclate cake just to enbitter the Lemons!

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I post here-in, for the greater glory and general happiness of Gamers on Linux....Whoever and where ever they maybe!
    Please check out my i7z App. I have no idea as to what my "safe" temps might be!!??

(They look OK to me...":O}

"A"
    Beside the point"

I've used Nvidia X server settings for-eve-er and in all that time I've had the same problem with it. The mouse overs :
    (text window that pops up with info when you hold your mouse over it*..

*(Explained for the great unwashed among us! We know who you are!)

The info widows pop up, then in a flash that confounds the reader, vanishes! I have yet to read any of the long ones!
    Anyone know a fix?

Anyone like to voice their condemnation of Nvidia for doing this to Dan Dan?

Back on point!

Here's my stuff. In fact here's pretty much all my stuff.
    My stuff is Good!

I hope you enjoy looking at Stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing how your stuff is coming along.

A word about stuff:
    Some stuff is new, some stuff you swiped from your brother so long ago you probably forgot you weren't going to post in public about it until you had a chance to explain to him how much more you needed it.

It don't matter! If it's your stuff or your brothers stuff "On loan."
    I want to see some pics!
    I want to read about some adventures in hardware!

Indulge me, I'm a sick man!! LOL
    (Oh how true, how true!)

I should warn you. I don't have a camera...
    So you won't actually get to see my stuff!!

BUT!!!
    I can show you pictures of some stuff my stuff did on my desktop!.

Calender says it's June 10 2016, You don't have to check! I just told you it did!!
    My entire systems is a couple of years in my service now and certainly no better for the wear...

So Why Now? Why pick the start of summer, at the start of a global heat wave destine to change our world?

So...Like, you think next year might be a better time?
    Yeah, me neither.

But if next year won't be better, Why think this year will be better than last year was?

On account of me just getting my VERY FIRST Air conditioner...EVER!!!

I grew up in the Greater San Diego desert. "They" call it a temperate climate...Trust me, Desert!!

So of course my 1st. concern was not for myself, but for my computer that was built by me
    (My stuff remember!)
    in the far far north..of San Diego...where if you never been here (Seattle) makes "the frozen wall"
    (As seen on HBO'S "Game of Thrones".)
    look like a broken heat sink laying around in someone's back yard! !

Ah...If you have been to Seattle...it might look somewhat less imposing to you...

unless you grew up in a Desert!

My computer sits on a tallish mid-size dresser, 2 ft below that, 12000 BTU's of CPU cooling power!!

I didn't hook it up directly to my CPU. I couldn't see a way to get past the water-cooler...well I could, but not without shutting her down...like all the way down,....like power off ...monitor goes black....

Yeah, like that's going to happen!! ":O}

At her age the intrusion might be more awkward than rewarding... No one wants to embarrass "An older woman" with ill timed advances and clumsily gropings...now do we?

`(I mean...If we do...we can...
    Best left for another time!)

My main in-takes suck up that cool air and grinds down all resistance to my Will!

Young or old, old new or broken...I want to see your stuff do some stuff!!

Or
    "You just can't touch this!"

M.C. Hammer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. Daniel~

Home page:
    Remember when a good over-clock was worthy of comment...?

"Time passes slowly up here in the mountains
    Time passes slowly when your looking for love."
    Bob Dylan
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Nope, never lived that day :p
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Is THAT what all the incoherent rambling was about? I thought you'd slipped your meds! :D:rolling::p
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    My babblings are perfectly coherent...How else would you know I was babbling?!

I submit that this post requires greater earnestness on your parts!
    Are you going to just sit there and stare as Nvidia continues to abuse both the privilege up having pop up windows and myself..Me! One of your very own!

Boo...I understand! He doesn't have any stuff worth looking at...yet! ":O}

But both both TR and Gizmo are plenty old enough to have grown something worth looking at...and I might add
    keep this forums looking a little like a Site that knows and appreciates fine
    ( if somewhat stay at home and save money lately)
    ...in fact very fine hardware!
    (Do it because you hate those damn pop ups as much as I do and you know IT MUST STOP!!)

I'd like to go some where I'd be appreciated..but nobody's doing the sixties anymore...sigh...

So no more over-clocking?
    A sad day for gamers if you ask me.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

12000 BTU of processor cooling power? Don't some room air conditioners have a good deal less cooling capability than that? It warms me heart to discover that some folks still take their overclocking THIS seriously. How large is the count of Ghz in your machine that's obviously from Hades itself? You don't have to tell us, I know that the amount would embarrass me. I'm running a humble i5 at stock. Ah, one of your screen shots seems to tell us that 4085 Mhz is the answer. A lot more Mhz than I run at. Kudos!

Apologies, I don't know how to address your annoying pop-up problems. I saw somewhere that some up to date Linux distros don't require X-11 anymore. Pretty sure that Mint uses it. Always something.
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

But another screen shot says that your processor is running at super-duper ludicrous(trying to quote "Spaceballs") speed. If you're running that fast is it difficult to keep your box welded into place?
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    George! I should have known you would understand!
    Oh wait! I did know you'd understand! That's why I posted here! ":O}

"I" over-clock for all the "little" people who can but look upon my creations in wild wonder!
    I also do it for you George who has forgotten more than I ever knew about this stuff!

The thing over-clockers seem to have in common...back in the day, we were all POOR! LOL

After several years of not so good luck, poor health the chief complaint, I received a small one time inheritance kinda thing.
    I also, rather unexpectedly started to feel better.

I wanted to DO something I'd enjoy. At 66, 68 now, I didn't see to many opportunities up ahead to build another box after this one.
    So I built the finest box I've ever had. Spent a lot more than I usually do.
    It was a now or never kinda thing.
    Then I return home to our site only to find the world has, once more passed me by!

In short, nobody over clocks anymore. What a a shame! We all had such good times!
    I had such a good time that buried 3 motherboards!
    (But that's a story for a dark night!)

I LOVE this box!
    3.4 Gig i-7 2600 chip, runs cool and clean, every day, all day at 4.855 Gig.
    I'd like to say that this ain't one of those slippery MS windows over clocks where you boot at at some ridiculous speed resembling "STOCK" speeds then once your in windows you run up your speed so it "looks" kinda stable.

In my day we called that cheating! An over-clock that can't boot!!??
    If it's not 100% stable, What have you got besides hot?

The reason that I have a game running in each shot is that my box is veritable.
    My box grows ands shrinks so to fit my needs,
    In Games I NEED 4.855 Gig. In my browser I need but 1.662 gigs.
    So what your seeing is my CPU ramping up to greatness! LOL

So everyone who is fortunate enough to be old enough to know how to rationalize
    the need for speed, can set what ever top speed they know how to achieve.

For insistence, I don't know how much higher a clock I might left still unexploded, er...explored.
    But if I can hold ambient below 70F...
    I own 4800! ":O}
    I can fold, (foldin@home) when I can afford to and I can run my Nvidia card up top 80C while maintaining a nice low 40's on my CPU cores. BTW these are of course "Core" temps.

My CPU temp as a whole runs between 22C and 26C from idle to 4855 pushed hard.

2 degrees...that's the "off die" measurement from Koolance., my water cooler.

For me...this is a thig of beauty.

Thank you George.. I think I needed to say these things. I was away when every thing changed and in a way I feel like I never got to say good bye.

For the record, I'd start a new build tomorrow. I love seeing what Intel and friends have been up to!

Do you have a Nvidia card...does it have pop ups? Do they behave themselves?

I just want to know what Nvidia has been trying, so incompetently, trying, to tell me!?

And what about windows like "PlayonLinux" that are to small and you can't make them any bigger!??

Did I mention I'm 68!?
    You guys are running out of time to get these things set aright!! ":O}

Attached Files:

9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

You genuinely beat the tar out of your box, at least compared to my "Mr Conservative" with my clock speed and how much I ask my machine to do at once. Whaddaya know, I think of myself as rather left leaning, but I run my machine like the old woman that lives next door to The Little Old Lady from Pasadena.
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Dang, I had to cut that post short because the forum refused to quit Italicizing after that old song's title. I mean, "parked in her rickety old garage is a brand new shiny red Super-Stock Dodge." Sounds sorta kinda like you, Sir Overclock. Yep, as there seem to be fewer people that bother to OC in this day and age you deserve the "Sir." Plain old "Mr" just won't do!
    Sheesh Dan, I NEVER knew more than you did about overclocking. You were up to the hub nuts in OCing long before I bought my first Standard Architecture machine. With an AMD CPU, because there was no way I could afford an Intel processor.

You and the other old timers at AOA whetted my appetite for overclocking. So over time I bought a new mainboard and a Celeron 300 so I could join the club. In those days of yesteryear Pentium procs cost the Earth compared to AMD's offerings. I suppose they still do, come to think about it. The Celeron was the only reasonably priced offering from Intel so overclock it we did! Of course, the AMD Athlon changed everything for two years. Oh, that was sweet indeed!

On the hottest days of this year so far (>92F/33C), my proc temp (with case fans set to slow and a 120mm Cooler Master CPU cooler) is 89F/32C. So water cooling obviously sucks heat away much more betta. Yet water inside a PC case just seems wrong to me. I'm sure water coolers never, ever spring a leak. ;)
    However, your reported temps at a quite considerable overclock are to die for. 12000 BTU, indeed!
    I didn't know that the four cores could run at a tiny clock speed difference from each other. Does that happen at "stock" speed as well?

I have an Nvidia video card, but I don't have any pop-up problems. Is is at all possible that your 80C GPU temp is causing trouble? I thought that Coolance cases provided a water cooler for your vidcard too?
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    As you probably noticed George I'm trying to once again to revive for an hour, to awaken once more the 'old Dogs that once howled outside the gates of the city.

We gathered there in the wildness of unknown chip limits and then scorned traditional reverence for clock speed and ram setting.
    Intel and and AMD: complicit, even encouraging at first,... were pillaged and left lying in the dust of broken records!

You can see for you selfs that if you want to go really fast and still pig most of that hard earned money for yourself and family...Over-clocking IS still viable way to do that.

All the above being the truth of me...I'm only to happy to answer as many of your questions as I can.
    But to do so in the order you asked them would be a lot less fun than the mess I'm about to create hop skipping about my new toy* ,excitedly pointing out and fully explaining, feature by feature, until you want to wring his excitable little neck...

Where'd that come from!??":O}

*( I think we can all agree a new Over-clock that surpasses the "Old" over clock, by even a single megahertz,
    is in fact a brand new over-clock which naturally confers "Brand new " status upon ever the most worn and weary of machines.**)

**(( because if we can't agree upon this, simplest of truths...why go on! Why go On!?))

Ok first off, NOBODY beats crap out of baby!! She would never stand for it it!

You make gentle inquires as to her general temperament and current dispositions.
    If she seems willing, you make a suggestion or 50 suggestions.

If harmonious relations can be established and progress made:

Allow me that I should point:
    "We" started out in life as a 3.4 MHz CPU designed to run at around 32C. (I think! LOL)
    By employing the artistry and magic of "the over clocker"
    My box runs that 3.400 c hip at 4.855

At idle, depending upon an ambient that permits running the chip at stock (3.4) speed within the temperature range specified by the manufacturer.

Or
    If you can run the c hip at 3.4 at 32C
    I can run it at 4844@ 26C.
    My machines almost never see anything above 30C
    and then I'm looking to cool things off.
    If you want extraordinary performance you must provide extraordinary conditions for that to take place in.

Thus end-th part one in a vast and desperate need for slumber...
    will pick up on this tomorrow whilst the world sleeps! ":O}
    P.S.
    So kind of you George to humor my inclinations.":O}
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Part two of two
    ( Hey Rick Perry can't do any better than one!":O}

Let us begin today with a simple observation. If Over-clocking no longer brings you joy...
    Why bother!?
    Over-clocking is one of the few things I sorta know how to do. It gives me pleasure to use what I know.

I may and I repeat "May" have arrived at O/Cing before you did George...but you brought one hell of a lot more with you
    when you came. But enough about...

"Us". LOL

So we left off with the idea that O/C doesn't have to, in fact should not in any way 'Lessen" one's experience of one's computer or limit it's capabilities..,

If you hit your O/C mark but files are the wrong color or your music sounds like noise...you haven't over clocked anything, you just messed up your BIOS settings...for the moment..

Almost nothing an Over clocker does can't be UN-does.

If there's one mis-conception about O/Cing it's that it involves great danger. At one time there were a few pitfalls,

A few moves that required physical "modifications" while these represent some very sweet over clocks:
    Most of over-clocking requires no tools.

Motherboard manufacturers have done wonders in providing an almost endless array of choices that, with the right CPU..

(My "unlocked i7-2600 cost me $20.00 more that the same chip in a locked state.
    ((A "locked" CPU can't be told that it's better than the rest. Can't be persuaded by anything except a bit of boost to the RAM.

It short Intel or AMD has sucked all the fun out of a locked Chip.

Honestly...I don't know what changed!?
    Is it still a good thing in a computer to get more for less?

Really, why has the world decide that "Stock" is good enough?
    Have people stopped racing dogs, horses or cars?

Who decided O/cing was dead?
    Anyway not me!! ":O}

The Air conditioner became a necessity last summer...(Heat is really not so good for my Zoster condition)
    But we hardly used it before winter came. Since then I've consolidated my bed room and office...So I do everything I do in complete comfort...

Ain't that the way it oughta be!? ":O}

Yeah 12000 BTU is about as big as a window model gets...to hard to install anything much bigger, they cease to be portable,

Patti and I barely managed this one! We went large because a single wide trailer with Semi-open floor plan is hard to section off for air cooling...So we cool the living room/bedroom and kitchen, curtaining off the kitchen helps a bit, but not a lot.

As we rent, we need to take it with us when we move...dreading that ever happening! I like it here! ":O}

Water cooling and leaks....I have heard rumors of this happening... Just not to me.":O}

I did have a spill once, water and coolant all over EVERYTHING!
    I did what you would do George... I plugged in a hair dryer and got to work!
    Three hours of blowing and waiting, then deciding to wait over night...
    Then booting to a 35% over-clock.
    No My machine was NOT running when the spill happened...that would be Crazy! LOL.

Alas, I'm not sure weather water cooling is really needed with todays chips.
    But I'm not about to give mine up! ":O}

About them cores! I don't know a whole lot..and there is a whole lot to know!!
    Just some random bits of knowledge:

Of the 4 cores one is consider to be the "Queen" My guess is that she directs the other three and assigns tasks...just a guess.
    I can activate one or all 4 cores, why I don't know.
    I can set each core to a separate individual speed as long as it is faster than stock speed for the chip as a whole.
    One core is always a bit hotter than the rest.
    (More active, doesn't seem so, I guess that it has a less favored position on the chip for cooling).

To those whose imagination and courage has failed them:
    There is nothing inherently wrong with running a computer at stock speeds.
    But why would you want to!? LOL

And since you asked:

I feel a bit more like Morgan Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy.":O}

For those whom I have brought to tears...":O}
    I do know that the hour has passed. That the technologies are fast moving and ever changing.

Those who have only ever run a stock machine, who like Boo, Never lived that life,
    no doubt have found other means of diverting themselves in ways every bit as rewarding
    as mine.

But this was my way as it was for many others and I wanted to say good bye.":O}
    I also wanted to say look at those pictures...DAMN!

"You just can't touch this!"
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    Beware Nvidia!
    I have set my minions the task of bringing your pop ups down!!
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I don't really know why overclocking lost the great appeal that it had once upon a time. Maybe the "native" clock speeds of modern processors seemed so high compared to the 500 Mhz of long ago that some of us gave up the adventure of OCing.
    And it is an adventure, with the constant danger of wrecking what today can be very expensive components.
    I guess I became a stick in the mud middle of the road computer owner.

Whereas you demand the best possible performance from your hardware, with bull whip in hand. Carrying on that great tradition! Kudos to you, I bet you never thought that so many of the rest of us would become such boring folks with their hardware. A fast perusal of Koolance water cooling hardware seems to say that it costs about $600.00 to be able to use liquid cooling for your processor, video card and RAM. I didn't know know that you could add Memory to the liquid cooled components.
    I think I remember that you spilled water along with the special coolant needed to keep the water in good shape inside your box. Why--that makes this old phart a-scared! However, you did save your machine and had the good sense to not run the box while messing with liquid!

I think you posted that chose the parts for your latest box as if it might be your last machine. You sure didn't mess around, you went first class for everything. Plus mucho bucks for cooling--not to forget a monster air conditioner as well.
    Even though this may well be my last machine, I felt that about $1700 was enough. Am I a tightwad or simply reasonable?
    TBH, I wasn't thinking of the end of mortality when I chose the parts. It was more than I ever spent before, that seemed good enough. Yes, my i5 at 3.2 Ghz (as its manufacturer intended) is a slower than your i7 at 3.4 Ghz at stock clock is. However, your diligence and dedication to The Overclocking Arts makes that puppy scream along at 4.885 Ghz. Mama Mia, that's a one spicy meatball!
    I seriously doubt that one could OC that much with air cooling. A bunch of highest speed 150mm fans would most likely fry that processor in real time.

In post #12 you say "good bye." This makes me nervfous, that's right nervfous. What up with that?
    Along with overclocking I think we did some great things many years ago, didn't a bunch of us pitch in to buy and send five PC's to African kids? That were powered by a cranking generator, so line power wasn't needed. I remember that Gizmo contributed as well.
    I hope those machines lasted for a while, if not longer!
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    No need to be nervous. I'm just saying good bye to our former O/Cing culture.
    Much of the fun was derived from watching others achieve their goals. I could never afford to spend time with a fraction of the hardware that we collectively poked and probed and published about.
    Life goes on, if for most at a somewhat slower pace...":O}
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Is there an important reason to say "tah-tah" to the culture of overclocking? As you are still serious about getting all of the performance that can be drawn from the components in your box--unlike the complacent ( guilty, your honor) and the ignorant, why censor your input to GamersOnLinux?

I hope I'm not among only a few folks that are interested in the subject of overclocking. It still interests me, because it's the expression of an ideal that is very important to keep in mind. Once upon a time you could see the engine of a car after lifting the hood. And modify it from just a little---to a major overhaul with increased bore and perfect stroke adjustment and with a 3/4 racing cam and maybe even a polished exhaust system (stuffed hard with steel wool for inspection purposes)--just enough short of a full blown racing engine so that it was legal on the public highways.

Youngsters still improve what's under the hood of their Toyota's and Honda's, but they can't do it themselves. I think I saw that a legally improved engine cost $40,000.00 some years ago.

Adding the ability to race your own computer against even an imaginary competitor is something people still can do themselves. Without carcinogenic grease and oil under your finger nails. Plus, you can legally "drive it on the road." And it's far less expensive than having a car engine that's custom built!
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    PSSST.

I'm telling you this George because unlike sooo many others, you know how to keep your trap shut!

Overclockers still walk this Earth!

We stay hidden in the shadows. When we must leave our desktops and go fourth in the world, we walk about with laptop cases under tour arms...just like everybody else. Just like we didn't nothing about any fast commuters seen around hereof late, at night...

But George! Those laptop cases are empty! a simple convenience to turn away unwanted attention. To avert the unwanted questions....

Some scatter their parts about their homes, assembling them only at night to run bench marks.

"But Isn't that a lot of trouble just to run benchmarks?"
    One might well ask!

Of Course it is!

Benchmarks are suppose to be a lot of trouble...or why would we run them!!??
    Remember, you can't believe every thing you read or hear about over clockers...
    Unless you read or hear it very fast!.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

So, I can keep my laptop case after tossing the more than ten year old Dell that's in it now? I used that laptop on one journey to Vermont ages ago. Hooked it up to "foreign" Wi-Fi with only a passing care about security. Never again, it was mostly useless weight and I've been hard wired to the web for years. I hope that its battery hasn't leaked--I don't know where that useless laptop is.

You made a good point a while back, computering is so amazingly complicated that many folks find lots of interesting things to do with them. Thinking about it--overclocking is simple compared to learning how to set up a Server the right way and software permutations in just Linux for example are a never ending encyclopedia...wait a second, encyclopediaS to learn and accomplish.

I was curious about getting benchmarks for Mint. IIRC, they weren't all that tricky in Winders. Looks like they're not a piece of cake in Linux. Always something.
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    For me and those who find themselves similarly without the necessary education and experience:
    Benchmarking remains problematic. What ya got after running a benchie*

*(That's over-clocker talk for benchmark)!

is a number or a bunch of numbers.

What cha need after you gots your number...is other numbers to compare it to.

In short, you need a bunch of folks to weep bitter tears when they fail to achieve my benchmarking success...

Without that what have you got in the box... very fast computer....without tears...

So actual benchmarking and comparisons between actual machines
    ( say, like yours and mine)
    kinda takes a back seat to setting a high over-clock at low enough voltage to be worthwhile.

It may indeed be fast but we need to be cool as well. No cool, no stability.

Stability is the hallmark of a good over-clock.

So while short on numbers, I content myself with knowing that if I had a bunch of numbers they would be very good numbers.They would be numbers that people would no doubt admire.

D-Trumpet has good words, he has said that he has many good words in his mind.

In my mind I have good numbers and even better benchmarks.

Seriously:
    If my games play well and the system shows Zero anomalies at really increased overall speeds..While dropping running temperatures to below stock norms at a given ambient temperature....I count that a win. ":O}

How do I know when my work is done?
    When my Box starts to sing, she sings to me, because only I know her song..":O}
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Whew, no need whatsoever to compare any benchmark of my box compared to yours. I'm lucky enough to have a little better Vidcard than you do. But an i7 at 4.885 Ghz vs my i5 at 3.2 Ghz? The embarrassment would be palpable!

Not to mention that my processor temps on air greatly exceed your seriously OC'd machine's with liquid coolant. Oh, the shame.