1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starcraft II Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Daerandin, Nov 2, 2013.

• by Daerandin, Nov 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Starcraft 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed rts Starcraft. This game features the same three factions of the original game. The graphics have been greatly improved, and there are sufficient changes to the factions so it does not feel like the original only with better graphics. The single player campaigns are very well done with an interesting story and great interactivity between missions.

A lot of game content is free to play now, including the original Wings of Liberty campaign. The expansion campaigns must still be purchased, but the base game is now available for free. All you need to do is create a Blizzard account.

sc2_title.png

This guide will explain how to install Starcraft 2 using the downloadable installer from battle.net with a custom PlayOnLinux install.

Log in to your account on battle.net and you can download the installer, make sure it is the windows installer you select.

sc2_n01.png

Tips & Specs

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux explained

Arch Linux 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux 4.2.12
    Wine 2.20-staging

Setup PlayOnLinux

Launch PlayOnLinux and click on "Manage wine versions"

In the new window that appears, scroll through the 'Available Wine versions' box to find '2.20-staging' and click on the right pointing arrow to install it, afterwards it will appear on the right side under 'Installed Wine versions'

Keep in mind that newer wine versions generally work very well, so if you are reading this guide and there are newer versions available, there is usually no harm in trying out the newer versions. Often there are great improvement, but you should always use the "staging" versions for this game.

If you have a 64-bits system, make sure you have selected the 'Wine versions (x86)' tab above

sc2_n02.png

Just close the window. Back at the main PlayOnLinux window, select 'Install'

Click on 'Install a non-listed program'

sc2_n03.png

Select 'Install program in a new virtual drive' and click next

sc2_n04.png

You can name the virtual drive anything you'd like, but for this guide I will be naming is "SC2". But like I said, you can name it whatever you want.

sc2_n05.png

Select "Use another version of Wine", "Configure Wine" and "Install some libraries" before you click next

sc2_n06.png

On the wine selection window, select 2.20-staging and click next. Make sure you select '32-bits window installation' if you are on a 64-bit system as it is normally the best practice.

sc2_n07.png

When the wine configuration window appear, make sure that Windows version is set to "Win7". Then select the 'Graphics tab and click the checkbox for all four options. The resolution you set for the virtual desktop should be your desktop resolution. My desktop resolution is 1920 x 1080, so you can see I have set that as the virtual desktop resolution in the screenshot below.

sc2_n08.png

Note: Even though the language is Norwegian in my screenshot, the layout will look the same for you

Next click in the "Staging" tab. Here you should select to Enable CSMT. This will greatly improve the performance of the game, as well as eliminate a lot of crashing with high graphics settings.

sc2_n09.png

When you come to the selection of libraries to install, select the following libraries:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_vcrun2005
    • POL_Install_vcrun2008
    Make sure you have selected all these three before you click Next

sc2_n10.png

When you are asked to select the installer, find the installer you downloaded from battle.net and click on next

sc2_n11.png

Installing the game

The first thing to be installed is the Batte.net client. You can de-select to add a shortcut as it really serves no purpose when installing it on Linux.

Click on continue

sc2_n12.png

Next you must log in to your battle.net account.

sc2_n13.png

The login form does not work perfectly in Wine, but you can log in. Just ensure to fill in your login information in both forms, select to "Keep me logged in" on both the checkboxes. Then click "Log in to Blizzard" below the bottom form.

Note: If you can't seem to type into the fields, press Alt-Tab to switch focus to another window, then Alt-Tab back to the login window.

sc2_n14.png

If you have an authenticator for your account, you will see this next. As with the login form, the "Approve" button does not work in the app. So you will need to click on "Use Authenticator Security Code"

sc2_n15.png

Here you can type in the security code from your Blizzard authenticator app. Note that you must select "Enter code manually" in the app.

Note: If you can't seem to type into the fields, press Alt-Tab to switch focus to another window, then Alt-Tab back to the login window.

sc2_n16.png

Now the Blizzard app will launch. I suggest to not use the Blizzard app in Wine to make purchases as it does not seem to always work properly, instead try to rely on the website for purchases or in-game purchase options.

Select Starcraft II, then click on the big Install button

sc2_n17.png

You should just let the game install to the default location. No matter where you select to install the game, it will be contained within the virtual drive, so there really is no point in changing it.

sc2_n18.png

The install process might take some time depending on your internet connection speed. Once it is done, you should exit the blizzard app so that you can create a PlayOnLinux shortcut. To exit the blizzard app, click on the Blizzard logo in the upper left corner, then select to Exit.

Sometimes it does not seem to exit properly on its own. If it seems to hang upon exit (keep in mind it may take some time), then you can force it to exit by opening a terminal and running two commands:

Code:
    pkill -15 Battle.net.exe
    pkill -15 Agent.exe
    When you are asked to create a shortcut, select "Battle.net Launcher.exe" and click next. You can name the shortuct anything you want, "Battle.net" or "Starcraft 2 " seems logical choices. Next, click on 'I don't want to make another shortcut'

sc2_n19.png

Now make sure you have selected the game shortcut in the main PlayOnLinux window, then click on 'Configure' then click on the 'Display' tab.

sc2_n22.png

Here you should set 'Video memory size' to the memory of your GPU

Now you can exit the PlayOnLinux configuration window and you are ready to play.

sc2_menu.png

The game runs great in my experience. I have been playing this game for years through Wine and I am able to run it with all graphical settings to maximum. I have played a bit of multiplayer with friends and family, and a LOT of single player campaigns.

Click on the images below to see them in high resolution

sc2_18.png sc2_19.png

sc2_20.png sc2_21.png

sc2_22.png sc2_23.png
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    vashin likes this.
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Daerandin, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Aptus
    Not able to get this to work. Followed the guide all the way up to actually installing Starcraft 2. At that point it does the initializing all right (in the battle.net client) but then it gets stuck on installing. The bar never moves and after a while my laptop starts running hot as hell with all fans on maximum. This is on Mint 17.
    I've tried rerunning the guide two times more but the result is the same. Something more is missing.
  2. Aptus
    Nevermind, in the end it was just me being impatient, I left it running for 20 minutes or so and it picked up again.
  3. Daerandin
    I also noticed that sometimes when starting it up, it seems to not do anything. What you can try is simply to exit the battle.net client and let wine exit completely. And then try running it again.

This seems to be random. Most of the time things work immediately for me, but there are sometimes, usually when battle.net has to do an update, that it seems to hang. Exiting and restarting it always seem to get it working for me.
  4. booman
    I have experienced times when a game crashes or freezes, I will launch it again not realizing that wineserver process is still running.
    This can cause problems because if you switch to a different Wine, PlayOnLinux won't actually switch it because of the process running.

The newest version of PlayOnLinux has fixed this: 4.2.5
    But you can manually "kill all processes" by going to Confiture, Wine tab, click "Kill Processes"
  5. Fillan
    Thank you guys for a very detailed guide. I tried installing this both with and without playonlinux, and both times hit the same problem. After I hit "Start Install" on the "Starcraft II Installation" page, it opens a new, completely black window. I assume it's the installer, but I cannot see anything. Although it's black, if I click in the upper right corner where the "close" would be, it still responds. This makes me feel like I'm missing a library; (perhaps ie6?).
    I followed all the instructions, and reinstalled wine. I'm running Mint 17, PlayonLinux 4.2.5, and Wine 17.22.
    Thank you very much

Attached Files:

6. booman
    Thank you for being so detailed in your post!
    Do you know if you have the 32-bit libraries installed in Mint? You only need to install these if you have the 64-bit version of Mint 17.

Use Software Manager or Synaptics Package Installer and search for:
    • ia-32libs
    • multi-arch
    You should be able to find something from those keywords.
    If you DO have them installed, make sure the proprietary drivers for your video card/chip are installed as well.

Can you play any other games in Linux?
  7. Fillan
    Wow, thanks for the quick response. I am on 64 bit mint. I installed ia32-libs, and so when I type "dpkg --print-foreign-architectures" I get "i386", which I hope means that it worked. Other sites said multi-arch is deprecated.

I'm on a laptop, so my video card is "Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)". A little bit of googling (http://askubuntu.com/questions/428703/horrible-graphics-on-my-dell-inspiron-17-with-ubuntu-13-10) showed that there is no proprietary graphics driver; but I installed the mesa driver anyways (via sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel).

I reinstalled after making all these changes, and I still have the same problem. I haven't tried to install any other games.
  8. Daerandin
    The battle.net client is continuously updated, so it could simply be that you need to use a newer wine version, like 1.7.33.

However, I am unsure if you will be able to play games with Intel cards on Linux. In any case, you are not likely to ever get Starcraft 2 running with an Intel card. The listed minimum requirements for this game only mention dedicated grapics cards, so integrated Intel graphics are not likely to run this.

For gaming on Linux, you really should make sure you have an nvidia card. The intel drivers on Linux are not suited for gaming. And between AMD and Nvidia, the AMD drivers are problematic on Linux, so my personal suggestion is to go for an nvidia card.

I will check the installation procedure from scratch again when I have time for it this week, just in case an update to the battle.net client has caused things to change again.
  9. booman
    yeah, I have an Acer C7 Chromebook with Intel HD 2000 video chip and it has a hard time playing games. But Starcraft II is a fairly old game and shouldn't have high demands for graphic chips. Have you tried the Intel Graphics Installer?
    Or at least Try Ubuntu because it should install the proprietary Intel drivers for you.
    Not sure why Mint didn't since its based on Ubuntu
  10. Daerandin
    Starcraft 2 is not that old, 2010.

As for drivers, there does not exist proprietary drivers for Intel cards. Intel themselves provides open source drivers for Linux.
  11. booman
    Ok, thats what I meant... :rolleyes:
    I'm so used to writing "proprietary" i forget that Intels are open source.

Wow, I didn't realize Starcraft II was from 2010, I though it was much older than that. when was Warcraft III was released in 2002, so I thought Starcraft II was only a few years afterward.
    I really don't follow RTS games...:D
  12. Fillan
    Many thanks for the help. I tried Wine 1.7.33, and the posted "Intel Graphics Installer link". Same problem. Although I'm sure my video card isn't great, it seems like it shouldn't be the root of my problem; I might get sc2 at 5 fps, but I should get something. I will try this all again over the weekend, on a desktop with ubuntu and a nvidia card, and report if I have any success.
  13. Daerandin
    Sorry that I have not had the time to look into this yet. I will be testing the install from scratch this weekend.

It might be helpful if you can try it again by running it with Debug. Just select the game shortcut in the PlayOnLinux window, and then click on Debug on the side. Try to install the game again from the battle.net client. You can then post the debug output here and I can have a look at it to check if there's something there to help find the solution to the problem.

I still don't know if you'll be able to play with the integrated graphics, but the game should still install, so there is obviously some problem here.
  14. Fillan
    Here is my log file (this site wouldn't let me upload a .log file, so I just changed the extension to .txt). I'll try on ubuntu shortly, and post what I get. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

15. Daerandin
    I just installed the game myself from scratch on my own system and I have no problems.

I am really kind of stumped at what the problem is here. The log did not really have any useful information.

Did you try to close the black window, and then continue with the guide as if the game installed? This will let you set up a shortcut in PlayOnLinux which you can then run by clicking on the Debug option. This might give us a little more to work with.

Also, I went ahead and checked winehq and I see some people reporting a similar issue. Let me ask one question, are you using Windows XP as windows version? This game will not work if you use a different windows version.
  16. Daerandin
    One more thing, do you have qt5 installed? The error seems to appear when the actual battle.net client is supposed to open, and it uses qt5.
  17. booman
    Battle.net should install QT5 for you.
    by the way, Wine 1.7.34 has some fixes for QT and dwrite.
    There is also a Python patch for QT5 network dll that improves network compatibility.
    https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=49988&action=edit
    Just copy the script, paste it in a text editor, save it in the same directory as qt5network.dll and run in a terminal.
    don't forget to make it executable with "chmod"
  18. Daerandin
    I suspect a missing library problem, because I have no problems with the battle.net client using either wine version 1.7.22 as the guide was written with, or 1.7.33. I made two separate new installs with the newest installers available.

I might give this a quick try in virtualbox with a clean Mint install to check.
  19. booman
    do you have to use Windows XP in Wine Configuration?
    With this patch you can now use windows 7 setting and you should be able to download/launch games. I haven't confirmed this, but I read that Origin had this same problem and now it runs with the patch
  20. Daerandin
    The patch seems like an unnecessary workaround if using WinXP effectively solves the problem. There is no difference in performance or anything by using WinXP.