1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reddit Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, Jan 22, 2015.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Do any of you post on Reddit/Linux_gaming?

I have been posting there for a few months and realized that I may have stumbled across a few of you and not realizing it.
    My reddit screen-name is brianinthered
  2. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I frequent it sometimes, when I have the time. My nick is the same as here.
  3. booman

Home page:
    Mine is Brianinthered
    Booman was already taken.
  4. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Reddit is good idea for some things but nothing better blog, gamersonlinux is more peacefull workspace

Thanks for gamersonlinux

:)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  5. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I used to post there from time to time, although as of late it has become a hivemind of users that feels entitled. If they don't get it [insert whining, bashing, etc].

I'm with seƱor deathjr28, gamersonlinux is a much much peaceful please, sure with have had our arguments in the past, but none have gotten out of hand. I guess it's mostly because most of us are old, with families to care than to spend time on internet arguments? Haha.
  6. booman

Home page:
    We're still pretty new... :p

GamersOnLinux is really about helping the community. Without forums, Linux would be really hard to learn. The last thing I want to do it "turn off" a potential Linux gamer with arrogance, flame & blame.

I even had a conversation with someone on reddit about using "window$" in place of "Windows" and they made a good point.
    I didn't intentionally make a flame towards Microsoft by spelling window$, instead I was trying to avoid helping Windows searches. In the end, it really doesn't matter.
    If someone searches Windows DirectX and finds themself in a Linux forum, its all-the-better because they will find that Programs and Games run in Linux as well.

I'm not even mad at Microsoft. They served me well for many years of gaming, graphics, 3D Modelling and recording.
    I'm just tired of paying for programs and the Operating System. I've always felt that an operating system should be free. That is the best way to bring people to computers.

I'm here to promote freedom with your PC and help your huge list of games run in Linux just as they do in Windows.
    Help is the keyword
  7. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Personally I think adding M$ or Window$ is .... silly. They are a company, main purpose is to make money like any other company. There's a line to draw between free as in freedom. Not to be mistaken as free as free beer.

If we were to analyze the state of current projects you'll see plenty of developers trying to make a sound business around free software (I personally prefer the term libre software, it keeps the impressions of "free" off people). It just doesn't work out (plus it has been discussed here more or less). But well... not gonna derail this whole thread, haha. Just saying that name calling is just stupid.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Exactly, I'm in full agreement. I really shouldn't worry about unintentionally helping Microsoft because they are sinking-their-own-ship slowly.
    I'm just going to focus on Linux, making games run and showing the world how to do it.
    As MrDeathJr has pointed out, there are easily a few thousands games that run in Linux so far.
    If you consider all the DOS games, then the list is much larger.
  9. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

It's better to focus on what you love than what you hate. It makes for a much better view of the world. However, at times it can be a bit hard to avoid the hate train.

In general I find it difficult to talk to people, because there are a lot of people at there who doesn't even try to be logical. And then there are also the people who ignore facts.

Honestly, I'm not sure who I dislike most, arrogant people or the wilfully ignorant people. I guess they can be almost equally annoying.

This is why I prefer smaller communities.
  10. booman

Home page:
    There is so much information in this world we have access too, but there is no way to know all of it. We tend to think we know a lot about a subject because we read about it on the internet, obviously that doesn't make us experts.
    I know nothing about the medical field, justice field, automobile field, stock markets for example.
    I would say that I am ignorant of subject matter in those areas.
    Most of my experience is in Computers, music (heavy metal), fine art & video games.
    But I would never talk down to someone because I "think" I know more than them.
    I would rather put myself on their level to understand what their problem is... specially if they are ignorant of the subject.
    In that case I would start at the beginning and educate them.
  11. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Admitting that you don't have knowledge about things is not ignorance. It's the opposite. It means you acknowledge information that you don't know about.

Ignorance is refusing to acknowledge knowledge or facts.

I don't put myself on the same level as arrogant and ignorant people. The ball has to come from them, and if it doesn't I won't bother. I think I'm better than ignorant and/or arrogant people. Why? Because I'm not ignorant or arrogant. I know exactly what I know, which isn't a lot, and I know that there is a lot that I don't know.

You can't educate people who don't want to learn. Trying to educate people who don't want to learn is wasted time and energy for you. I would rather focus on those who want to learn, and who wants my help with what little I know.
  12. booman

Home page:
    You both have great attitudes. I'm very happy to have you on board with GamersOnLinux
    Sometimes I hope we don't get too big.
    I prefer a small community too.
    I don't mind dealing with trolls and arrogant members, I'll treat them the same as everyone else.
    But its so much easier helping people who want to be helped!
    Aryvandaar likes this.
  13. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Right back at you. ;)

GamersOnLinux is one of those very few forums where I feel a real sense of belonging.

I tend to prefer Linux forums, because people who use Linux are usually more open minded than people who use Windows Mac or OS X. On a lot of forums where developers have made an official statement that there will be a Linux version you get Windows people saying this:

"Well, getting Windows is quite easy, and it's easy to install, so why can't you use that instead?" This is a really friendly version of the question, but most of them are more hostile. Metaphorically speaking I want to smack those people a little bit.

Saying that people should use another operating system like that is like saying that people should listen to different music. It's all about preferences, and people have no right to tell people to use another OS like that.
  14. booman

Home page:
    Good point! I would recommend Linux to someone, but I wouldn't tell them to use Linux because its "better" than Windows.
    Its my preference to use Linux, even if some tasks are harder or require more steps.

I think the Internet has bred generations of people who say whatever they want online because there are no instant consequences.
    Drivers and people on the phone can be the same way. They can say whatever they want and there is nothing you can do about it. So people will rant and swear at eachother to no end.
    I just end up ignoring those posts and moving on cause there isn't much to read.

I've seen this on Youtube comments over and over. I'm almost to the point of not even reading any of them.