1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New desktop after a few years of pause

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisBondWindows, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

So I just ordered the parts and I am putting together this

Zalman Z9 Plus case
    Thermaltake TR2 500W
    AMD FX-6300 + Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 120mm
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    G.Skill Ripjwa XF3 2x4GB 1866
    Radeon R7 240 2GB

I have a few hdd's lying around and a HDMI 24" TV for the moment they'll do. I will mostly use the rig for photography. I don't intend to OC as I think the 6 core will do a decent job! My last rig was a Q6600 quite some time ago, so what do you guys think? Cheers, Chris
  2. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

You can't take photos with that.
  3. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

4. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

Any other opinions beside the French dude?
  5. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    You might want to consider an Nvidia card at this point in time, rather than AMD. Drivers are better in both Windows and Linux, and reports say that support is better as well.
  6. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

What Operating System(s) are you going to install on that PC, and will you use it also for some gaming?
    If the main (or only) OS will be a Linux distro, I completely agree with ThunderRD's opinion that an Nvidia graphic card is at the moment clearly the best option by far.
  7. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have 3 Gigabyte boards and they run beautifully!
    Actually I just upgraded to a Core2Duo (I know old huh?) and one Gigabyte board had a problem with the E8400, but the other board didn't have any issues.

My Mint computer has a Gigabyte GA 907A-D3
    It runs perfectly and Mint is cruising with my Samsung SSD drive.

Yeah, let us know what distro you are planning to use..
  8. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

I am planning to run VM on it since I need to learn a lot about AD and will use server 2012. But I also plan to install a couple of Linux distros. Any recommendations? Thanks.
  9. booman

Home page:
    For Servers I definitely recommend Fedora, but you won't like the Gnome 3 desktop, so its better to revert back to Gnome 2.
    For typical "home use" I recommend Mint because its more like Windows than the rest of them.
    Daniel loves Mint, so if he can do it, anyone can ;)
  10. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

Well I have received the cooler I ordered, now I only need to wait patiently for the rest of the parts lol. Wife asked me if I am building a spaceship or a computer LOL...

Attached Files:

11. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

This is the keyboard, I just received the KB and the cooler LOL

Attached Files:

12. booman

Home page:
    Awesome!
  13. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

UPS is delivering the rest and they rescheduled the delivery two times, the package should have been delivered yesterday or today but they have no idea where my package actually is. LOL
  14. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

Just found out that is only the case which comes with UPS so I got the rest of the stuff today. Me thinks I am going to assemble them and start the damn thing up! :D

Attached Files:

15. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    If you are interested in a Distro that keeps very recent packages, is rolling release but with big focus on stability, then Manjaro might be something you may want to look into.

Manjaro is based on Arch, but puts a lot of emphasis on being beginner friendly. I just recently spent some time testing it in virtualbox and like Arch it is very light weight, runs very fast, and I'd say it is quite beginner friendly.

Unlike the more common distros like Ubuntu and Mint, Manjaro does not make as big of an effort to hide the stuff going on behind the fancy GUI. Meaning you will see boot messages instead of some distro logo on boot, and by default the grub bootloader is also visible.

Just thought I would mention a slightly less known distro that is still easy on newcomers.
  16. booman

Home page:
    Uh Oh, he got a Radeon card.... :(
    I've seen many-a-thread about AMD drivers and problems with Wine and games.

Daerandin, lets slow down for Chris... he really needs a distro that "just works" so he can get through the learning curve of using Linux on a regular basis.

He is/was a regular Windows user and plays games.
    I think he has used Mint recently to trial it, maybe Ubuntu also.
    I'm not sure if he is planning to Dual-boot Win/Lin and play games in Linux?
  17. Daerandin

Home page:
    Yes, Mint or Ubuntu might be a better choice. Mind you, Manjaro does "just work" without requiring any particular knowledge, but the graphical interface for the package manager is not descriptive as you have in Mint or Ubuntu. However, apart from that I would not say it is any more difficult to learn. It is at least an option.

I will give you that as advice, Chris, give VirtualBox a go. It can be installed from the package manager of Ubuntu, Mint and most other distros. It allows you to try out installing an OS within a virtual environment. The best part is that you can run it in a window so you can easily keep a browser open for any info you might need. It will let you try anything you are interested in testing within a safe environment.

I don't have any experience with AMD cards on Linux. Only once did I use AMD on windows, and I had way too many issues with their drivers to want to try AMD again. From what I have read, the open source drivers are the better choice for AMD, but 3D performance is not as great as it could be. I have also read about many issues with the proprietary drivers requiring certain xorg versions, causing issues whenever xorg was updated. The proprietary drivers were actually dropped from the official Arch repos because of the many issues.

Hope you have a blast with Linux, it is a lot of fun once you realize that you truly can have full control of your system, and everything is customizable if you take the time to learn.
  18. booman

Home page:
    Is the driver install just as easy as Mint?
    I've never heard of Manjaro... is there a gaming site for it somewhere?

I was thinking of trying Peppermint because its base on Mint and supposedly uses less resources.. but never got around to it.

We are all here to help you Chris. Have fun and post any problems you have.
  19. Daerandin

Home page:
    Manjaro.org is the official website for it. Since it uses the pacman package manager (only with a graphical interface) then it is very easy on driver install, at least in my opinion. I just checked Manjaro repos, and they have the newest nvidia drivers as default. During installation, it will automatically install either open source driver, or closed source driver, depending on whether or not you started the live environment with free or non-free drivers, which is an option when the live media boots.

Gaming on Manjaro should not be any different from most other distros, except that the base system is a lot more light weight than Mint. And even though Manjaro is rolling release, they are not as quick as Arch to use the newest versions as they want to avoid any bugs in the newest versions. I noticed Manjaro currently use the 3.10 long term support kernel as default, unlike Arch that is using the newest 3.12.6. So obviously Manjaro focus a lot on keeping the rolling release model stable, and not releasing any new package versions until they are proven to be stable.
    Kladiator likes this.
  20. booman

Home page:
    Hmm, I'm starting to get excited about Manjanro...
    Maybe I should give it a try?