1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Campers in safe harbor, having found the proverbial port in a Storm!

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    4 1/2 mounts ago our landlords up on the hill, no really they live up on the hill geographically,
    not socially, as you will see they are rather fine people. but to further my tale:

after 5 years they found they needed our rental for family members whose children have rather sever allergies. They hope to renovate what has been our lightly run down single wide mobile home...Basically a long shoe box of a prefab. They hope to create a clean, allergy free space for their kids.

So with regrets they gave us 3 1/2 months notice! Unheard o consideration!

Sooner or later renters have to move, that's just the way it is. We've never needed more that the usual 1 months notice to vacate. We are approaching the 5th month of searching!

What' the hold up, you may ask, but didn't, So I'll extend myself on your behalf.

Well...when we moved in this was not only the cheapest place we could find, as usual.. it was the best possible place for us, Something that has always seemed to be the case for us; though for me it has always deified explanation.

We moved in at 700 a month. Over 5 years they raised our rent twice to 9 hundred.
    So Patti goes house hunting after months of looking the cheapest place she could find was a really run down single wide trailer for...$2700 a month!

We were just getting by with a $900 rent. So we went another way and started checking out travel trailers. Prices seemed to range from $150 bucks up to a quarter million. Trailers mind you!!

Go on Craig's list and start the mind numbing comparisons. A trailer in WA will cost say $50,000
    While in the mid-west and south you can find almost new for $30,000!! makes it hard to know what's what.

Even within the local market you'll see huge variances they don't seem to at all relate to condition or equipment.

So we decided to start slow, get an El cheapo and basically learn as we go. If we can tolerate or even learn to like trailer life, we can sell in a year or two a get a better trailer.

But for now we think this will be doable for us. We bought this for $4,500.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/6155405180.html Just scroll down a bit

This is really going to be an experiment in compression. We will be able to take almost nothing with us into this new life. Patti a life long hoarder will horde no more. We can't buy shit as we have no place to put out exiting shit!

I feel like some one should shave our heads and make us take vows.

Although I have been a poor man all of my life, this will be a new kind of austerity for both of us.

I have grave and troubling doubts that I will be able to find space for my beloved surround sound speakers. I have literally worshiped in the mists of the vibrations they channeled for me.

But here's what my book tells me;
    "Increase and decrease come in their own time"
    In times of decrease, frugality provides the means by which we may return to prosperity.

We will have no payments to make on our trailer. We will park it a a "Camp ground" trailer park located between two rivers. We will be a few 100 feet from the Green river and a couple hundred yards from the White river.

Both are rather puny at 1700 feet Elev. but can get rather nasty down river in the right season.

Our rent is $450 a month and includes free septic tank and water. Were told to expect around $60,00 a month for electric.
    We will be in a position to start saving again!!

So all in all I'm looking forward to this move. Wish me luck! ":O}

And yes I do realize that there will still be a degenerate lunatic smearing shit all over the White house. But I'll have two rivers to cleanse and console me.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

No monthly payments, VERY well done.
    It looks very nice. I'm guessing that at that altitude you'll be safe from floods. I sincerely hope so! Both of the mentioned rivers like to flood at a much lower altitude. One good thing, a fifth wheel trailer is MUCH less expensive to move than the kind that require the temporary wheels and those funny looking little tractors (as opposed to the kind that make up an eighteen wheel rig).

I'm a pack rat. I'm glad I refuse to rent storage space, that seems a bit crazy to me. Because when you're poor you won't be able to buy something you need right away. I need a spring cleaning most definitely.
    Hope you like your new place a lot!
  3. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    Both our Georges seem to have it right.We love our stuff so much we even hide it in a turkey!

I'm sorry.":O}
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

It's great when turkey stuffing has the right taste and texture, it seems it's not easy to make just right.
    I truly love George Carlin. He was better and better as he got older and was taken from us too soon. There's an old English expression, "stuff and nonsense." Once upon a time in the US "truck" meant "stuff." Stuff changes over time.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    OH! I always and always wanted to live on a river! But only if I'm on a high bank that sheds water to the other side. I grew up in a house that had a basement that flooded every damn time it rained, guess whose hand was on the bucket! LOL
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Eep, flooding in San Diego doesn't spring to mind. That you were stuck with the bailing bucket seems cruel.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    It made a man of me! But I often think a water pump would have made a better man of me! ":O}