1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deus Ex Dark as Hell in Wine

Discussion in 'Games' started by Aremis, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

Well this is weird. For a time I completely forgot this forum existed. Will have to catch up in the general discussion area. Anyways I need you guys' help because if anyone has an answer for me it'll be one of you.

I want to do a stream soon of Deus Ex, possibly tomorrow, maybe next week. In any case a good 6 hours so I need the game to run fine and look like it should. Problem is that it has this weird problem of being way too dark for some reason…

In the game I can run it fine, runs at 60FPS even. No sound issues. But, the textures are… dark. Like the brightness is turned all the way down. But if I go in the brightness options it just changes the local brightness of my second monitor. If I kill the game instead of closing the game properly the brightness settings stay stuck on the second monitor.

Not sure what to do about it. All help is appreciated. I’m running everything here with Lutris.

By the way I really want to do some stuff on here about Lutris. Have some reference stuff here for those who need it. Its very good. So good in fact I have given up using pure wine completely. Even ditched POL.

Anyways thanks guys.

Edit: Could I just use wayland? My problems seem to stem from XGamma not cooperating and only changing the gamma settings on my second monitor, not my first, so I am partially pinning this on XOrg. I use XFCE as my DE, and I am an avid gamer as you all know. Would this be a viable option? I remember gaming on wayland pre-X-Wayland when wayland was the parser and renderer and xorg was a passthrough. Very hacky stuff on Netrunner a year and a half ago. Worked great! But I don't want a hybrid, one or the other.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. Aremis

Aremis Member

Update, it seems to be a problem in the Direct X renderer and how it interacts with WINE and the OPENGL calls. Wine just skips the brightness stuff completely for some reason on whatever screen you put the window on. Something about version numbers?

Anyways, found this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/6910/discussions/0/613936673444809191/

So I'll be setting it up for openGL specifically so that it doesn't even need to redo any calls. Note to anyone else looking to fix this issue: you need to set up the above on a windows machine! Ew! But its the only way to install some of the mods. Luckily I'm putting XP on my macbook (its a 1,1 so no great loss there :p) today so that lines up perfectly!
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Sorry I didn't see your post until now. We have a guide for Dues Ex GOTY here: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/deus-ex-goty-guide.1715/

Also, the game is very dark in general. I actually increased the brightness so I could see. Most of my screenshots are pretty dark as well. I have heard of some games being extremely dark when they aren't supposed to be. That is definitely a Direct X and Wine problem. Normally they can be fixed as you have found.
  4. Aremis

Aremis Member

What I have even found just says "Yeah its an OpenGL game and the DX renderer wasn't even finished" and the game turns into a VHS version of Alien.
  5. Aremis

Aremis Member

Ok I got it all working now. But the way I have to run it is I need to have the game brightness up, raising the brightness of another screen NOT my main one, and then rais the brightness on OBS. I don't really mind, its just a little annoying. But oh well, I think it will work out better.
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Ok good... in the past when I increase the brightness of a game, it would actually increase the brightness of Mint as well. So when I was done playing the game, I would just launch Nvidia control panel and the brightness would reset back to where I had it. so strange...
    Aremis likes this.