1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABCMouse

Discussion in 'Games' started by Gizmo, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Just a quick post about this. I know a lot of people with kids want to be able to play educational games on their computers, and frequently the games don't work on Linux, and the authors aren't terribly interested in supporting linux. In many cases this is abjectly stupid, because the games are either written in Java (which means they should work just fine) but have a Windows installer, or they are written as a browser app, but use Microsoft IE-specific code rather than standards-compliant HTML and javascript.

Well, ABCMouse is a web-based game that actually works on Linux just fine, no tweaking or futzing about required. I set it up for my grand-daughter and she's been having a blast with it. Check it out at www.abcmouse.com.
    rolandttg, booman and Robbie like this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I've seen the commercial many times on Qubo. I wanted to check it out, but paying is out-of-the-question.
    There are too many free sites (with bugs mentioned above) where my children can learn.
    PBS is one of the best. My kids LOVE PBS.

Did you notice Adobe no longer updates Flash for Linux?
    Some games on Facebook no longer work and ask me to update my Flash, but the update isn't there and Adobe showed there will no longer be any updates for Linux. Not cool.
  3. Gizmo

Home page:
    Adobe seems to go back and forth on this. I just downloaded an update, apparently a security fix. However, if you want the latest flash-player code Chrome seems like the best way to go, since the flash stuff is apparently integrated.
  4. booman

Home page:
    I recently noticed that even Chrome is not updating their pepper flash as quickly.
    Looks like Flash may end for facebook as well: Flash End-Of-Life
    I hope these companies are developing their games in HTML5 before all browsers loose flash functionality
  5. Gizmo

Home page:
    Actually, the improved capabilities of both HTML5 and javascript are a lot of the reason that Flash is being pushed aside. There's really very little these days that is done in Flash that can't also be done using HTML5 and/or javascript.
  6. booman

Home page:
    I've seen that as well
    I hope that Adobe can continue developing the program Flash, because the tools, workflow and GUI are super fun to use and super easy with actionscript. I just hope instead of creating swf files, it can just create javascript and HTML5 instead.
    I've heard Adobe is already working on that
  7. Gizmo

Home page:
    They have pretty much stopped development of Flash, but I believe they are updating their tools for HTML5, CSS, and javascript to replace the Flash stuff.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Awesome, I hope they just create a whole new program and give it the same tools that Flash had.
    It was really cool, total sandbox
    You could create a container with anything in it like animation, a logo, a picture
    Then you can put this container anywhere you want and add code to it.
    You can link animations together or physics to them
    So awesome!
    Each container has its own timeline too