1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 Guides Celebration

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by booman, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    I've been in and out a bit, but the Reddit thing sounds like it could be a good idea. If Gizmo thinks it's OK, why not buy one and put it up there as an experiment?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Buy a game? What game could we legally distribute freely?
  3. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm getting bogged down with where we're discussing this, here or via email, but I'll sum up what I wrote over there:

Are there no avenues to buy games *in a box* anymore? This may sound like a stupid question but I have not lived stateside in many years, so I'm probably WAY behind the curve.

Here in Asia it is common to buy the game in a box, which contains a validation card number you enter when you download from Steam, etc.

The numbered card is a bearer instrument, but once the number is used, it cannot be used again by another user. The game download is attached to your account.

If that isn't possible, is there not a way to buy a game for a friend through one of the services? Like say, if it's your birthday, and I want to buy a game for you, can't I pay for it, specify that it is for a friend, and then YOU do the download? Kind of like a *gift certificate*?

If there isn't a way to do this, I'd think that Steam would be leaving a LOT of money on the table.
  4. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    It is quite easy to purchase gifts on both Steam and GOG. On Steam you can either gift someone through email or directly to their steam account. They just have to accept the gift to have it added to their account.

GOG give you a unique code when you purchase a gift. Then anyone can use that code to get the game on their account. So digital copies are quite easy to gift.

Both Steam and GOG have the option so specify that it is a gift when you purchase it, and it can be purchased prior selecting a recipient.
  5. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

I am not so sure that Reddit is the right site to celebrate the 100(plus) guides posted on GamersOnLinux.

The section LinuxGaming is full of people that simply hate the concept of Wine and downvote any information about games that are non native.

For them promoting Wine (and PlayOnLinux) incourages game developers not to port games natively on our favorite platform.

It is of course a very stupid position, considering how many games run flawlessly or at least very well using this great software, but it is unlikely to change any time soon.

Many times I linked to guides here, after the usual question "how do you run this game on Linux" and, almost inevitably, have been downvoted.

So maybe we should find another place to advertise this site great achievement.
  6. booman

Home page:
    True, I have seen the same attitude from a lot of reddit gamers. I continue to support wine gaming on reddit every opportunity I can.
    With 19,000 subscribers we will always see some active "non-wine-er's" but it still may be worth the risk.
    Specially if we can offer some free games.
    Of course we will be providing a native Linux game.

I don't want to explain it to them each time, but it always comes down to quantity.
    Hence why Gaming on Linux does so well and gets a lot of publicity!
    Native or Wine the more games that work, the better!

Good point Daerandin, maybe we could purchase a bunch of GOG games when they start providing Linux compatibility.
    But we'll probably have to wait for the 200 Guides celebration next year ;)
  7. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    We could also offer a GOG game or two now that we have guides for. That would certainly increase our choices.
  8. booman

Home page:
    True, but that can get expensive or we would only be able to offer a few quantity.
    I'm hoping an indie developer might let us advertising their game free for one day.