1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish this forum was more active

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Aryvandaar, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I wish this forum was more active, and had more users. This is one of my favourite forums, in the same group as the Manjaro forums.

Maybe we should get an IRC channel?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Go ahead and post a link on www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming
    Of course some people will criticize you because we focus mainly on PlayOnLinux
    We picked up another 30 followers on Google+ because of reddit.

Feel free to advertise us anywhere you want.
    I have posted a lot on the PlayOnLinux forums and Mint gaming forums
  3. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I kinda agree. If it departed from PlayOnLinux, it would be great.
  4. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I use PlayOnLinux because I use the terminal for many other things, and if I wanted to, I could easily use WINE from the terminal, but I chose to use PlayOnLinux because of convenience. When I want to play games, I don't want to mess around with a lot of commands in the terminal.

If people want to criticise me for that then sure, go ahead, but they can scream as much as they want, and I will just laugh at them.
  5. booman

Home page:
    How did I know Allen would say that? :p
    You all know the main reason I stick with PlayOnLinux
    For the newbees that come from Windows. It is the easiest solution for installing and setting up games.
    Its pretty consistent and I've had a LOT of success. So until something better comes along, I need to stick with PlayOnLinux.
    Its for "them" not for me ;)
  6. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I will never have anything against people wanting to do things easier. I'm not an elitist, sure maybe I get a little bit stubborn and somewhat of a jerk which is not intended but uh, if it works for you or anyone, then by all means use the tool.

BUT. What I define as a departure of PoL means enriching the site with GNU/Linux gaming news, such as OpenGL or a game getting a new linux build release out there, etc.

Hey, you know I care for simplicity a lot! I do have a beef with PoL horrible GUI workflow but you will never see me telling you guys to stop!
  7. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I didn't mean to point towards you being an elitists allen. I do not think that you're an elitist. Just to make that clear. :p
    booman likes this.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Thats not a bad idea...
    Our site IS called Gamers On Linux
    Not PlayOnLinuxers On Linux

I would love to have more guides on other stuff like Rasberry Pi, Samba, installing linux from USB, on and on and on
    But as Aryvandaar pointed out, we're kinda small.
    You have done a few guides on video drivers and audio.
    Feel free to more techy guides on stuff that people would love to see.

Did you notice we have a new forums for Guides (other)?
    I put all of your guides in there

I would love to have more

There are a few guides I have put on the back-burner like hosting dedicated server games and installing Linux.
    Right now I am totally focused on games in PlayOnLinux. The more the better.
    As we grow, I would love to have more members posting guides on everything about Linux.

A beginners guide for popular distros would be great too. Something from installation to setting everything up so its ready for games.

I'm not going anywhere, so in time...
  9. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I like PlayOnLinux because it is so easy to manage many different wine versions through the different virtual drives.

Yeah I agree there are few active members here at the moment, but that does not mean that it might not change.
  10. booman

Home page:
    What is an elitist anyways?
  11. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

An accurate description from urban dictionary:

12. booman

Home page:
    Ah, got it... thats not Allen at all.
    He's great at showing attention to detail and spending a lot of time in trial-n-error to figure something out.
  13. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I think that since you are in a better time of the GNU/Linux community compared to the old days then you haven't seen many elitists yet, although they can easily be found in mailing lists and IRC.

By definition of elitism, which I consider to be a very narrow-minded perspective when users starts advocating tools and such, is the act of indoctrination. For example:

Back when Ubuntu became REALLLLYYY popular. Slackware, Gentoo and some other communities flamed Ubuntu users for wanting a user-friendly distribution. I'll try to explain:

Slackware and Gentoo are kinda hard to install in the sense that you need to stick to a guide and do several steps. You are pretty much configurating your own OS from the ground up. Some users were extremely protective of their beloved linux distribution and they felt "offended" that mom or pop just installed a linux distro within a few clicks. It's like setting their egos on fire. So yea, Ubuntu and a lot of user friendly distros were targeted.

It usually all boils down to ego, really.

It's the same with windows managers. Some users believe that running xmonad, gnustep (I kinda liked it), among other window managers gets this belief that they are somehow superior. Same with text editors such as vim or emacs, same with any other tool. There are different flavors.

Zealots are pretty annoying to deal with and arguing with them is mostly a waste of time and not really productive at all.

Now that's just in a nutshell. I'm just really resuming it up to that. I'm sure if you google a bit more about the subject there will be a better article about it.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  14. booman

Home page:
    Ah, I know the type.
    I've met a few Mac elitists. If its not Mac its not worth anything...

It really comes down to human nature. We are all prideful about something and think we are better than others.
    Its just built in us.

But when socializing some people have to "prove" themselves to others and it comes out as "boasting" and "arrogance"
    Most people are turned off by that kind of attitude.
    The only people who are attracted to it is other elitists because they love debating.

My purpose is to help
    Plain and simple
    I'll do what I can to help someone figure out a problem and if I can't, I will find somebody who can.
  15. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I've seen that in college so many times it bores me to death :/

Same. I'm kinda trying to make it as an open source developer and create some profits for myself. It's all wishy stuff, chances are pretty rare and I don't think I'll really make it. Plus, come on, people rarely donate to open source projects. At least the small ones.
  16. booman

Home page:
    True, I have only donated to PlayOnLinux and a few indie games in the past.
    Still, as you know, open source is an important part of computers and programming. Not to mention you get all the testing you could possibly want.

What if you could get involved with a company and do open source programming while they publish it? This way your projects could get more publicity and donations.
  17. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    No need to 'get' one, I'm logged in to probably a dozen IRC channels 24/7, so I created one. It's at:
    irc.oftc.net

Its name is:
    #GamersOnLinux

If you aren't familiar with how to use IRC let me know here and I'll guide you. You will have to get a client, join the channel and register your nick. You do this by sending this one-liner to nickserv:

Code:
    /msg nickserv register <password> <email>
    When you join the channel, you send this to nickserv:

Code:
    /msg nickserv identify <password>
    The identify can be put in the correct field of your client's settings, so it happens automatically. Let me know via PM what your nicks are so I can give channel ops to the correct people, and we are on our way. Perhaps we can arrange a test run at a time we can all be available to be in the same place at the same time. I'm in SE Asian time, so that would be GMT +7.

The best thing about IRC is it's in *real time*, so for IRC to work, we [the contribs and staffers] have to check in on it as often as we can. People might leave comments and questions, and then get impatient and leave. I'll mention in the Channel Topic to be patient because it's a new channel and we aren't always around to respond.

Another benefit of IRC is the ability to DCC transfer files peer-to-peer, bypassing the IRC server. AFAIK, there isn't a size limit on files, either.

I suppose we should make a mention of the channel somewhere in the forums so people know it exists. I'll think about what the best place would be.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  18. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    Is anyone actually interested in using this IRC channel? I've been trying to keep it open in case anyone wants to say hello.
  19. booman

Home page:
    I don't fully understand what its for...
    I'm pretty busy too.
    If there is a demand for it, I can check it out, otherwise I'll stick to forums
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Booman sure puts in a lot of work around here. Well done, good sir!