1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSports in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by booman, Aug 14, 2019.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I know eSports is definitely a "thing" because of the multi-million/billion industry of competitive gaming, but in the Olympics? Really?

I always thought the Olympics was a niche for physical abilities, not mouse-n-keyboard abilities?
    Seriously, an Olympic sport where you sit in your chair 8 hours a day?

I didn't realize how big eSports have become and its amazing and sad at the same time. 20 year-olds making a living playing video games and all the hype around it. Crazy!

2. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

It's no different to darts, which as far as I'm concerned as something to do between pints at the pub. Fans of chucking weighted needles around while drunk have, however, petitioned the IOC to get darts added to the list.

eSports probably require somewhat greater skill, with similar physical effort... so, why not?
  3. booman

Home page:
    Ha ha! Thats awesome!
    I didn't know darts was a professional sport petitioning for the Olympics?
    At least you have to stand... right?

Dude if gaming makes it into the Olympics then so should programming and IT Helpdesk.
    I sit and compete with all of the end users, managers and customers all day!
  4. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

OK it's an old article from the Daily Fail, so should be regarded as 90% fiction with just enough truth not to get sued, but have a link:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...et-Olympics-Michael-van-Gerwen-backs-bid.html

On that basis, so should engineering management.... it's like herding cattle, only I don't get to use an electrified prod.
    booman likes this.
  5. booman

Home page:
    Maybe there is a digital prod?
  6. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Sports are deigned to keep us in shape and entertained between wars.
    . Games we invented to entertain us between occasional and random
    thoughts about our universe. And to promote cheating among our youth.

Neither has brought us all that much happiness. If we really enjoyed either of these things would we cheat so much when engaged in them?

It may just be that we have Sports and games to refine our cheating in war arts.

Leave it to us to call mass slaughter an "Art"

A creative approach might further both!

For instance:

Why not combine Fortnight with say kick boxing then wed them both to checkers!
    I feel we should. Mostly because we have yet to try.

When someone jumps me and gets kinged I could punch them in the nose
    And buy 50.00 worth of Fortnight approved bandages that will leak all over.

Is absurdity any less absurd just because I won?

While sports use to have fans and games had players.
    Now players fan themselves while betting one whose eye will catch that foul ball.

As Howard Cosell once observed

"Sports are the toy land of life."

Games are the toy land of sports.

The only real similarities between them is that you can both bet and cheat at either.

While games are fun, if you don't get caught cheating
    Sports are challenging and character building when we get a solid balance between steroids and
    sponsored tennis shoes.

AS little to no sense is attached to my views, then they can be said to be either a sport or a game
    until I go pro.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  7. booman

Home page:
    Skateboarding has dealt with this for years. The Olympics never accepted it as a world-wide Olympic sport, so they created X-Games. A totally successful ESPN sponsored event!

So maybe gaming needs their own E-Games, but it seems they already do.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    I thought Darts were the javelin of the wee small little people?

OMG is the Javelin a dart of big smelly clumsy folk the Little people call humans.
    As a side note:
    "Human" is the little peoples word for shit. This is now near universal!

In almost every language spoken by non homo sapiens
    "Human"
    is the polite and preferred word for shit.

Don't blame the non Homo Sapiens "Human" meant shit long before we came along and started killing the planet. It seems this comes of having everything we touch turn into human, I mean shit. I meant shit.

Anyway I was thinking Why not just demand greater accuracy of javelin tossers and put a one ounce limit on Javelins. Or let them toss trees if they like, but only let them use their thumb and fore finger with a bit of encouragement from their wrists.

But I'm dead set against allowing the wee small little people any where near a javelin This I feel needs no explanation..But for the sake of our youth I;ll make one up!

In 1250 BC (the last known year in which they were allowed to throw darts, I mean compete at javelin"

Every single javelin toss ended up stuck in shit. I mean humans, I meant humans. Back then they didn't have Fortnight bandages and there were casualties and rather hard feelings.

I for one was willing to leave this all behind. But now the wee small little people (They hate it that I call them "people" When Wee small is the name they compete under.) Have dragged this all up again as if 1250 BC never happened!

I think I have stumbled across a compromise .

Let the Wee small folk act as caddies for the shit people. I mean humans, I meant humans.
    If this is, as I suspect it will be,a less than a thrilling event Those short little legs just churning up the sod as they retrieve big shit darts, I mean javelins, I meant big shit darts.

So we should allow some room for the sport to grow! To pass the interminable time it takes for wee little to fetch a big shits javelin. The big shits should be allowed a dozen darts to lend encouragement to those tiny churning legs.
    In order to preserve the traditions of the past (After 1250BC) We could draw circles within circles upon their fat little behinds and give points to the darts that strike closest to center. Sounds like a good old javelin toss to me!!
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

My brother and I used to throw lawn darts at each other. From a fair distance of course you had time to plan your catch and if you got it wrong a lawn dart through your palm was nothing to moan about. Those were the days. Of some sort.

Speaking of human stench I saw that Voyager Two picked up the smell of The Most Horrid One out beyond the solar system. Go Lump!
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Let's hear it for the managers and question answerers!!!
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    I.T. mangers vs.Users wearing nylon stockings over their heads.
    So the It guys can't recognize the users and seek out their revenge.

I personally feel that "I" should captain the Users team as I have the experience and the long and intense accumulation of ignorance that would send the I.T. team screaming back to their little cubicles.

But just to be sure we are really getting I.T.'s best efforts,
    We should make the losers of this event have to change tumors bed sheets every single night!!

Not as bad as it might sound. They get to change them into a bed of yellow nails.
    Blood sport will never die!
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Whew, I was afeard that you might be talking about a bed of yellow toe and fingernails!
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    You go to far!
    now you must bear the burden which you yourself conjured in my mind

A calendar picture of the tumor sitting back nude in bed trying to reach his toenails, but failing even with the
    three foot long toe nail clipper extender for the supremely healthy That he sent away for along with several; other more personal items.
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Surely he has a slave to perform this action?
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    After the third one tried to kill himself by jumping out a one story building window and them beating his head against the pavement begging for complete and lasting blindness...it's been hard to find a new one.

Any body here need a job? ":O}
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

LOL! Great post!