1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miss Sherlock, A japanese take on a Classic

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    This is my first review. I have wanted to do this for over a year. I have had a devil of a time trying to find a way to do justice to this marvel of modern Japanese television.

I'm finding Miss Sherlock about as easy to describe as a cat fight.
    So let's start there. Miss Sherlock is as feline as a woman can be, a narrow face of stunning beauty Which she jabs into the faces of others in a way so UN-Japnese as to shock even western eyes.

She seems to bound and leap her way though her cases displaying a cats fascination with her prey as she gleefully wounds her villains with a cruel joy, one damning bit of evidence at a time.

Miss Sherlock is a bit of a fashion nave. She wears pants but.... she really wears them!
    Thin and angular she is fearless in the face of evil. Evil is her favorite game. She trusts in her intellect in the most dangerous situations.

But What is a Sherlock without her Wato?
    Wato is a medic recently returned from "the wars"
    She's wrangled into becoming Sherlock flatmate.

Wato is as Japanese as the Emperor. A modem Girl self a facing at every turn kind to a fault
    As roundly beautiful in personality as Sherlock is borderline autistic.

The cases are complex, well paced and always turning another corner.

The inspector that allowed her to mesh with the established police regulations is almost as unique as Sherlock.

Sherlock's brother takes on a kinder face than we are presented with in the west.

He is an admiring equal who fully appreciates her genius. He brings her new cases and helps her from time to time,

As an ensemble they truly amaze! Watching Sherlock at work can be stunning in it's abruptness, there are no rounded corners on Shelock. One easily sees that from the villains point of view she just might be the anti-Christ. Sherlock can be quite unseemly in her delight at making everyone squirm.!

Miss Sherlock is now available on HBO and the Hulu subscription service.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    booman likes this.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Sounds like quite an interesting tv entertainment. Thanks for letting us know.
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Is this the one with Lucy Liu, or is it a different one? I like Lucy, but I didn't particularly care for that show.
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Speaking of Sherlock, I've been watching the BBC Sherlock on NetFlix. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman do a good job, I think.
    booman likes this.
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Different, very different.

I feel as though Japan understands the rigidity and formality of their culture. Miss Sherlock is a bomb thrown into the middle of Japanese restraint and reserve.

Picture a Japanese maiden completely lacking in the social graces. Obliviously charging after whatever has grabbed her attention.. No not obliviously, but totally indifferent to to the shock and awe that follows her everywhere.

Example.
    Wato is newly acquainted with Sherlock and follows in an amazed fashion apologizing to all, :Who are for the most part shocked into silence.
    When ever poor Wato is introduced by a third party as Sherlock's friend;
    Sherlock snaps out a "No She's not!!"

Wato remains completely amerced in the Japanese way of doing things. While Sherlock plays wreaking ball with Tokyo.

I forgot to mention how funny this all gets! While adored by the chief inspector there's a bit of a shity detective assistant that's always going on about how Sherlock is NOT the police and has no standing to investigate anything. When ever Sherlock scores against him in their exchanges, (She always wins) The chief inspector has the most winning little laugh at his expense. He doe not even try to hide it from his junior.

He really likes watching Sherlock take him down..so do I!

Sherlock presents us with a personalty type previously neglected in
    Japanese cinema. A woman smarter than the men around her who are trying to pretend that she is not so smart. In trying to put her down they raise her up! ":O}
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    I had to go to net flicks to make sure I had the right Sherlock.

Yes! I thought they performed admirably in their roles. Benedict has recently made Dr Strange his own in Marvel's "Dr Strange" and"Infinity wars". Maybe the best Marvel yet to come down the pike.":O}
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I agree, it was a great if all too short series.
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Definitely sounds like a winner!
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm re-watchig the series for the third time. (only one season is available). But as this is A HBO presentation, I forgot that I get HBO though hulu.There is just so much more I haven't even touched upon.

It has:
    One psychiatric doctor who is one lovely evil villain
    An Innocent mother charge with trying to kill her infant Son.
    We watch her try to kill him, then we watch Sherloch prove her innocent!

Sherlock's land lady is accursed of the theft of a piece of jewelry
    by one of her friends. We watch her steal it, then we watch Sherlock prove her innocence..

There seems to always be another side to the other side and Without Sherlock the innocent would suffer and the bad would go free. One cannot help, for all her faults, loving and cheering for Sherlock, champion of a truth that at first only she can see,

Thank you for taking an interest. I hope as your reward you get to see this innovative and extremely entertaining series...

Spoiler alert!

That evil Shrink... That bitch is Moriarty!!! And what a bitch she is!!
    For whom Sherlock reserves her most wicked smile and positively gleaming eyes!":O}
    Our villains are as well defined as our heroes and we rarely guess witch is which.

I have to say that only rarely have I been so well entertained. My friends the Japanese offer us a Sherlock that would drive Mr. Homes mad with joy!

I now live only for season two!! LOL
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    I think they plan to continue the series. At lest they have added three or four part seasons along the way.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Miss Sherlock is certainly a must-see. I wish Netflix would spend some money on AMC's 4th season of Better Call Saul. It's available at Walmart for $29.99. Probably worth it but I'd much rather view it on Netlix.

My guess is that the Sherlock Holmes series ran out of good ideas--or maybe Mr Cumberbatch asks for too much money?
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  12. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Sherlock is my all time favorite show!
    My wife and I are watching all of them a 3rd time!
    Absolutely brilliant story, acting, cinematography and effects.
    I can't watch american drama anymore because of this show. Now we are addicted to British Drama and Murder Mysteries.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    Your not going native on us now are you Boo?
    I've seen it all before. it starts with a delightful little British comedy innocently enough and before you know it it your kids are learning written English by reading the sub titles from Chinese cinema!!

or it could just be a passing thing.

Let us know of your kids all want Komonas for back to school. ":O}
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Kimonos are Japanese, British tv can be outstanding. Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch are world class stars nowadays, it's possible that the series simply can't afford them.

It seems that the American movie making machine knows how to do only one thing, extreme violence. Or you can watch "chick flicks," very little else out there. And yep, I like some chick flicks a lot.
  15. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Actually I do like Anime but not British comedy.
    Their drama is amazing, but I never get the jokes in British comedy.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    Like many things the Komona was Chinese long before it was Japanese... Most things in this world began in one form or anther in China. She is the great progenitor and had high culture when the west was still making fire in caves.
    I exaggerate because I'm to lazy to be precise.":O}
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    It may seem that way, but there is a shit load of worthwhile entertainment out there.

(I think "shitload" is the proper literary term, but I may be confusing it with a diaper full of crap!)

But you need subscribe to several services in order to keep it in the mix.
    As with all things cultural one must seek out and strain the good from the bad.

Art is sponsored by the culture that produces it. Culture is refined and defined by it's art.

There is no age of man without art. But there are ages and ages without great art.

When ever artists become great culture leaps ahead.

But we live in an age where it is largely forgotten that for a thing or person or "Time" to become great
    It first must be made right.

But great art remembers this for us. Great art is never made for one time or one place
    Great art speaks to all times and places.

Just as
    "The holy sage does not serve Kings nor princes but sets himself higher goals."

and what he achieves thereby is not for just one time or one place. He works from seclusion and helps to shape the future of mankind.

He does this "by creating incomparable human values within himself."

These values find expression in the next generation. But do not look for it among the masses.
    For with them this is never an established fact. These values sore above and lead the great mass of mankind to strive after the teachings of the sages... when there is a spark within kindred soul speaks to kindred soul.
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

But West is best, East is least. I'm proud to be a cave dwelling American---still! Our cultural advancement is the best, no need to make America great again, we are already great! We are so advanced that our smoke signals rocket messages from coast to coast in mere weeks!
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I can't afford to subscribe to several services. If I can get 10 Mbps download instead of 100 Mbps from Extortion Central I would be able to slash my cable bill. Then perhaps I could be a multiple service user.

"Does not serve Kings nor princes but sets himself higher goals." As if there was anything else than serving the all good and all powerful kings and princes?

Not according to them.

Greater than all things that you know, Horatio. How does that quote go?
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

It's amazing that two English speaking cultures can be so different. I don't get any of British stand up comedy. Sitcoms are more widely funny.

"Sanford and Son" was adapted from "Steptoe and Son." They were both considered to be very funny---on their own sides of the Atlantic.