1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Breach--but only two billion records

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by cloasters, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    No no no.

Terminal is complaining because you have not yet 'q'uit out of top. TOP is the running process that terminal is warning you is about to be killed.

Use 'q' to get out of top, and then click the 'x' on the window.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Ah, so. The "q" command didn't work before. This time it did. Durn it, I learned something. Thank you Gizmo!
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

OK. Thanks for not letting us know about you were having a problem. Umm, how would one find out if Youtube all of a sudden took a disliking to one? How about an ISP putting the brakes on you? It would be a good thing to know how to discover the presence or not of these annoyances. IMHO. Just saying.
  4. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Call me irresponsible, call me lazy. But I feel no obligation to fix things I don't care all that much about.

Actually I told the forums of my difficulties days ago. I'm always open to an easy fix. But that fix has to less trouble than living with the problem..

I can access what I wish to by simply re-posting it here on GOL. It is hardly any more trouble than before, I just don't get a preview. But how much trouble is it to delete that which disappoints me?
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Apologies, guess I was feeling a bit snarky. I think it would be a great thing to find a way to discover if your ISP is throttling your bandwidth just because they might be unmentionably evile. Maybe evile is worse than evil?
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    Hear no evil see no evil speak no evil.":O}
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Pace in Terum? Wouldn't that be nice!
  8. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    There are number of tools out there that can give you some sense of whether you are being throttled or not. Here's a Google link to a search: https://www.google.com/search?q=is ...0j69i57j0l4.3927j1j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Screenshot from 2019-03-26 11-38-30.png
    I don't think it's throttled. I seem to have great speed.
    Only the You tube videos won't load in You tube, but will load when I post them here. From here they load and run just fine. I checked out my internet speeds they are at 71. The average is 40 but we pay an extra 20 bucks a month for 100, which we never see, But 70 and above seem to be our norm.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much, Gizmo! Very helpful links!
    Do you know if 10 Mbps bandwidth is good enough for decent Netflix watching?
    I could save a huge pile of cash per month if 10 Mbps download speed is enough.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Dan, do you know if 10 Mbps download speed is good enough for Netflix delivery?

This is TYPICAL of Century Link. They advertise better bandwidth than you'll get from them. Their fine print says "up to X" speed. They sure don't deliver it. It looks like you're being cheated out of 30% of what you are paying for.

They advertise "UP to 7 Mbps" available for me. But they would deliver 4.6 Mbps maximum. Guh, I don't like these people.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Hi G!
    I tried but I can't remember what the minimum download speed for netflix is. 10 "Might" do it.

Google Netflix and ask what speeds you need.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ah so! (That's Japanese!)

5.0 megabits per second
    Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix. To watch Netflix in HD, ensure you have an HD plan, then set your video quality setting to Auto or High. Titles will play in HD as long as you have a connection speed of 5.0 megabits per second or faster.
    Internet Connection Speed Recommendations - Netflix Help Center

Here's what the help center says:

Internet Connection Speed Recommendations
    Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed

• 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed

• 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality

• 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

• 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
    Watch Netflix in HD

To watch Netflix in HD, ensure you have an HD plan, then set your video quality setting to Auto or High. Titles will play in HD as long as you have a connection speed of 5.0 megabits per second or faster.

Manage Netflix Bandwidth Usage

Higher quality video uses more bandwidth than lower quality video. If your service provider applies a bandwidth or data cap to your internet service, you can Manage Bandwidth Usage by changing the video quality settings to Low or Medium to consume less data.

Check Your Connection Speed

Many devices allow you to check your connection speed within the Netflix app. To check your connection speed, follow the steps below.

Note:
    If you are using a mobile device or computer, please visit Fast.com to test your speed.
    1. Begin from the Netflix home screen.

2. Navigate up and select Settings or the gear icon [​IMG].
      • If you do not see the gear icon, your device does not support this feature.
    3. Select Check your Network.

4. The Netflix app will verify that you can connect to the internet and reach the Netflix servers. It will also check your connection speed.

5. Once the test is complete, ensure that your speed meets our internet speed recommendations above.
    If your connection is slower than you expect, we recommend reaching out to your internet service provider for assistance.

Was this article helpful?

Want to contact us?
    Call Us
    Start Live Chat
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    So the long and short of it is this, yes you can get Netflix. It may not be able to deliver HD quality. Or deliver it only most of the time. But you will be able to get at lest SD quality. I would certainly give it a try. Netflix doesn't have any long term contracts, so you won't lose big bucks if your not satisfied and want to cancel.
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to find out these things! I get a solid 100 Mbps out of Wave Broadband. But I sure am paying a LOT for that.