1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Items of a passing interest...

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Feb 22, 2019.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Repeat after me "NRVA." These folks inspect your RV to ascertain if the factory really fixed all of the problems that to a layman shouldn't have come up in the first place. Traveling in an RV and living in one seem to create different kinds of problems. Moving them seems to shake them apart at the seams, oh joy. These vids have scared me away from them, tbh.

You should be commended for taking all of these hassles on!
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    All trailers do have problems. Stationary trailers have far less of them.Most of a stationary trailers problems can be fixed by throwing a tarp over them. I'd guess around 1/3 of stationary trailers are under tarps right now..

But to be clear with the possible exception of the electrical systems hardly any of those problems requires a rocket scientist to fix.

we've had water and electrical problems with our 30 year old trailer. Both were fixed in place by a neighbor.

So you can spend 2700 a month for RENT. or 450 a month for a space and utilities. We will be adding another 250 a month for the trailer itself. A very good trailer that's been treated well and not dragged all over hell and gone because their owners feel entitled to kill the planet, if it's a "Lifestyle"

I'm happy to say that no one here is rich enough to be that crazy.

There's no inherent reason a new trailer can't be maintained at a reasonable cost for 50 or more years. if it is sedentary and you stay on top of repairs.

There ARE lemons. that can drain you of your dreams. trailers that were crap the day the pulled out of the factory. Even the best trailer makers seem to have them.

If you buy a lemon for 90,000 you probably won't be too happy having anything in need of repair.
    But if you buy a used 5 year old and you have taken the time to inspect and to learn to inspect for 25000
    you can far more easily spot a lemon. Water leaves marks that are hard to hide . When trailers leak they nearly all in cure damage in the same places that are as a whole easily checked and spotted.

You can test all the appliances and systems. Living in a stationary trailer is as stable as living in a house, things wear out but not inordinately so. Towing a trailer several thousand miles on vacation ls a house in a constant earth quake. Makes a huge difference.

Pros:

You can insure a stationary trail almost for free. around 20 bucks a month.
    Utilities bills are a fraction of a normal house.
    self sufficiency is far more easily had than with the standard home.

During the fire last year we were prepared to take our home and run. Those who lived thought the Paradise fire were not nearly so lucky, they lost every thing.

I have no doubt that If I owned the same trailer in a "more normal" trailer park I would be far less happy
    than in my near wilderness location, wait, having Elk live in your back yard IS a wilderness location.":O}

You get two things.
    1. What is messed up by the factory has been repaired usually under warranty.

On the road, you probably will have trouble making 5 years without encuring real additional expense.
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

As long as your eyes aren't wide shut and you make the not inconsiderable efforts to learn about them before making the leap into one of them it is possible to get a good trailer surrounded by nice things. However, I think that you've made the point that a ton of sheer luck got you into your enviable surroundings.

I'm far from certain yet it looks like keeping heat inside a mobile home may be a huge and losing battle. As if the recent-ish renovation of the outside wall of my apt building helped a lot. Actually it did, but this recent three solid weeks of below freezing nights has me in a bad mood about heating.

My electric baseboard heating costs one hundred clams a month in the winter. I use it for 12 hours per day. What's spectacular is that Seattle City Light told its customers to reduce their use of the sparky stuff a considerable amount some years ago. Being oh so environmentally conscious we DID.

What did Seattle City Light do? It raised its rates by 30% or so to make up for the loss engendered by such "green" customers.
    Coming and going, I tells ya.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    When your total sq footage is under 400 feet. You can petty much stay warm with a box of matches.":O}

We have propane when our free electricity goes out.(prepaid with the rent.) We have a generator on propane When Patti forgets to fill the heating propane. I have had one cold night. I usually leave my window wide open.

I find I'm good down to around a windless 35F. When It dropped to 24F and breezy I was to chilly butt to uncover my blankets to close the window so I slept for a hour wake up and use my hairdryer to warm up while trying to get my lazy as to close the window...and I did, at around 8:30 in the morning.

You better believe I gave myself a good talking to!! ":O}
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Deadpool two has a young woman whose super power is Luck.
    I kinda think that outshines them all!
    How do you over power Luck!??":O}
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Brr! You MUST be becoming a mountain man in your young age!

Pretty sure I have 500 sq feet or less in my magnificent abode. Once upon a time being a parasite upon my neighbor's heating worked well in the winter. Must have tighter with the thermostat neighbors now, or maybe I just feel colder. During the summer months my electricity bill was too cheap to meter and I paid the minimum charge for it. Sure as heck much more expensive now but I'd hate to escape one of life's truisms.

Rewatched the original Deadpool the other night and liked it. IIRC, Dead2 has less sheer misery for the lead character than did the first one. The luck needed to have it as a super power is a lot. You're right, can't beat it!
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    This is one og Keystone trailers. a step or two below the Sydney and smaller.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Have NEVER lived in an apt. building It never occurred to me to squeeze in between above and below and let my loud or loudly complaining neighbors heat my ass for me. Well done George. Sorry the free warm times are all gone.
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I've inhabited this place for longer than a quarter of a century. Before this I NEVER lived anywhere for more than two years.
    Noisy neighbors can be APITA, but I've been extremely lucky for many many years. But my neighbor above deserves an official recognition of more than acceptable noise for at least six months.

Many older and non-English speaking Asian folks live here so I seriously doubt that talking to them would be worthwhile. They have some kind of machine that rumbles and rattles my ceiling, I have NO idea what it is. But it moves across the floor and can annoy at any time during the diurnal cycle. Asians make good neighbors except for young ones so I simply "got lucky" with these ones. Oh yeah, they scream at each other about once a month too. If it was in English it would barely not be noisy enough to understand, so thank goodness it's in an unknown tongue.

So yes, apartment living is not ideal. If I had my druthers I'd have a house in the suburbs. Yet suburbs have changed for the worse (with a lot of help from crooked bankers who have literally stolen millions of people's houses from them.) Thanks Obama! He loved and still loves all the bankers and financial crooks a LOT. Their money got him into office, he shows them his gratitude.

Could not afford to have a house and I never wanted a condom inium. Nostalgia beckons, your house in White Center was a glorious place. So sorry that you lost it! It was a slice of paradise, Patti's landscaping work was just superb.
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    I often think of our White Center home... It was indeed a loss. I never expected that after a time of wandering I would settle into a trailer life that exceeded all my expectations. nearly flat broke and having to accept money from a friend We have found or were given our own small take on paradise.

For the first time since leaving home at 17 I'm interacting with my neighbors. While it does have a few small drawbacks it has been an endless source of information, food exchange, trailer parts carefully horded for years find their way to us by generous and giving hands. When the snow might have over whelmed us we awoke to our neighbors shoveling our snow to make paths to and around our trailer.

Patti joined the work brigade as watched and said my prayers of blessing...Be it known that from my observation the shovels move more snow than prayers.":O}

I am happy. This is a rather new state of being for me. The great majority of my life has been spent trying to grin and bear it. Now I just wake up grinning. ":O}

It isn't just this new home I was given. I seemed to have turned a real corner in my dealings with my self.
    I have at last taken command of my feelings and gained control over my outlook. I no longer allow myself to be bullied by my negative thoughts. Because of this I am often able to sit quietly without intention or anticipation.

And the river flows freely though my life carrying me past obstacles that had plagued me all my life.
    No man knows what tomorrow brings. For the first time I fear nothing in my past or future.

"I thank you great maker for leaving the best part of my life for the last."
    An American Indian Prayer.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  13. Daniel~

Home page:

[
  14. Daniel~

Home page:

15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

How wonderful, I envy your serenity! I hope that I may become much better off between the ears--there's plenty of room for improvement.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    But George you are enormously improved.

When we first met many of your post were at lest to me almost unintelligible. you would jump from one subject to another and the only common denominator was your dislike and anger.

You use to fear and bring that fear into every misunderstanding between us. George I useto hve to wtch every word lest you think I was "After you."

You have already conquered many demons and greeted a few angels.
    Take the day off and look back but only briefly for the best part of your life is still to be lived."
    :O}
  17. Daniel~

Home page:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm glad that I'm getting better. Thank you many times for paying great attention to avoid that "someone is after me" problem with my somewhat psycho'd psyche.
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Why, why...this RV is far nicer than my home. 70K is a bit high, but if you have it flaunt it. The American way! Ooh, ooh! And you need a double wheeled truck to pull it, they are so cute.

Do any of these fifth wheels have brakes on the wheels? You'd think that would be awful nice.
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    Yes they have brakes, but I don't know why you would need them?
    Oh! I'll bet it's so they can't roll away when you wash them with cold water...Brrr
    Don't thank me your the one who got over it.":O}