1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm having more trouble than I can handle alone!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel~, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Bit of a long story.

But the upshot is that I made a few changes, was using my monitor/TV as a hub for my PS3, Roku. computer. But every time I switched input I would lose lip sync and have to turn the TV off then back on for it to sync to it's new input. The monitor is a $300.00 wonder from China, a HiSence.

That has really out performed it's price tag, a 46inch.4K Ultra. So I guessed I was going to take a hit somewhere along the line.

So I switched to using my Denon 300 dollar wonder receiver as my hub. Which fixed the lip sync.

But...I'm having trouble with my computer, my other devices are perfectly fine. But on my computer the color has gone Green/pink screen.

I tried everything could think of, then I tried a restore to a week old backup.

Restore when fine, but the green and pinkish discoloration remains.

Run out of things to try. I'm going to remove my video card and reinstall it, unless someone stops me!! LOL

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh My picture seems not to fit my screen top and sides. See photo.

Thank in advance for your time and thoughts.

P.S. Wow! This is strange! After I posted the picture I took a last look and in the picture My desktop looks fine (except for the color.) but as I sit here looking at my screen I can only see the top half of my toolbar Icons and my name at the top is also halved and the close button at the sides are only half present..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Can you switch back to your old monitor?

I'm thinking that Denon receiver is not presenting the correct information to your video card. There's nothing wrong with your colors per-se, as your icons look just fine.
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Sorry that these visual problems bedevil you Daniel. No help for this from me. Sorry!
    $300 for a 46" 4K monitor? Must be the mother of all bargains! Two years ago it was $260 for a 27" Asus monitor. But the built in speakers made the cost worthwhile. Not.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    I bought this one to fit and it just barely does, my old one was 61 Inch. And fits not at all.
    It somewhat self corrected as it color was restored to normal after a few hours off duty. But Nivida Won't offer any thing above 1920x1o80 I've been using 3820 (?).4K
  5. Gizmo

Home page:
    That's likely a limit of that Denon receiver. Unless it supports HDMI 2.0, you aren't going to get better than 1080p video.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    It does, it does support 4K HDR and UHD. and it has done this before I switch from TV hub to Receiver hub to ditch the Lip sync problem...Which Hi Sence points to a "Feature" where your suppose to adjust the lip sync every time you switch in puts. I'm working my way though the color issues. It seems (Not sure yet) that if I turn the receiver off and boot it's OK when I turn it back on. Any way somewhere in there I know there's a operational boot.":O}

Buy Why won't Nvidia Give me What my receiver and my TV both feature? I got full 4k rez when the TV was the hub. I'll check thought the settings again I can believe it's either or.

By the way, Roku gives me full 4k with the receiver Hub. Even at 1920X080 I have to use view port to get it to fit my screen on my computer.. I'm missing something here. Those are my only two 4K capable devices.
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    after scraping all the paint of my computer settings, a half dozen times, I sat in frustration.
    But then the fumes swirling about my tired head began to morph into a single clear memory..

A visage of Aden riding over the hill in full armor, battle flags waving!

For the last time I ran into this it was Aden who suggested (With my old TV) That I should set my TV to just scan...and it worked.

I remember saying I would never have thought of that! And I was right! I didn't think of it again until I had tried everything, even asking Gizmo ":O}

But My new TV doesn't have that particular setting. So I reset my TV to defaults and 3820 became an option again!

Who knows why these things happen to us?

But I have to take Gizmo's assertion, that is the work of the French, to heart!
    On that happy happy note I go to bask in my properly setup monitor's radiant light.

May all experience similar success on this very day!
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm ashamed to say I got it at walmart. My second incursion into their low rent employee hell.
    I'm almost always willing to pay more to see at lest better than walmart treatment, What can I say next store was 50 more miles. My Bad.
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Where's my pat on the head. When I do good I'm suppose to get a pat on the head. That's why were all here so when we do good we can get a pat on the head!

If you feel you didn't get the pats on the head you deserve, well now you know why you pat-less wonders!!

And mind the soft spot on my head when you pat...My Ego keeps dripping out my ears.":O}
  10. Gizmo

Home page:
    Goody Boy!

(Is your tail wagging yet?) :)
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Aaw, give the olde noggin a pat or three from me. I must admit that you don't shrink before the most devilish of technical problems. Best of dogs!
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Good so far guys...but where's my food dish?
  13. Gizmo

Home page:
    It's on the back porch, next to your doggie bed. :p
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    You can remove my food and water again. It all went to shit and I don't know why.
    Screen went green again. I "Some how" corrected that again but back to 1920x 1080....
    and my sound went out.
    I go to bed and everything is fine.3840 and the music is playing. I get up, boot up and it's a F*** up!

Got rid of the green again in my TV settings, but the rest just won't respond to my pleas.

Any ideas that don't involve more money or a deeper understanding on my part?
    Here's what I want from you guys.
    Tell me where to go and what button to push, if it's the right button you don't even have to be nice a bout it!

I'll keep fiddling about and after messing everything up several times a solution just might present itself....or not.

What frustrates is that I've had it perfect in the past for months.

This is starting to look like the work of the French!!

If we have any Frenches that aren't potatoes can you confirm or deny my suspicion?
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

That "magic" button is most likely at the top of the Trans-America Tower in SFO. On the exterior, hiding beside the lightning rod. Might be difficult to reach. Definitely French, a square centimeter of the French Embassy was "mistakenly" put there. Maybe them Frenchies thought that that square centimeter of what is technically French "soil" would give them naming rights. Sure, the Trans-America FRENCH tower. Sorry, of less than little help.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    If the French really are involved, so much for a reasonable solution!

Anyone have an unreasonable solution?
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Call back the fleet! It wasn't the French!!

It turns out that there are several settings that work but only one that gives me 3840/
    It was a combo of both the TV and the AVR settings. I have what I want now. But it remains to be seen if it will hold this setting while I punch through my inputs to get ROKU Computer and PS4.
    (Patti bought me a PS4 because I asked her to...go figure!.":O}

I figure that if it doesn't tomorrow will be soon enoungh to tell you guys. I want you to get a good nights sleep not lie awake worrying about my settings...you can worry about my settings all day tomorrow if NVIDIA deems it necessary.":O}

Screenshot from 2018-09-17 17-37-55.png Screenshot from 2018-09-17 17-37-55.png
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ok, given the time to do it in, my last attempt completely failed...And... "I" know why! LOL

Sound goes out! Picture limited to 1920X1080. very time I switch inputs both fall apart.
    So I'm thinking I've been here before, way back when MS was a necessary evil.

What Would I have have told a direct X fan boy back then?

So After trying everything else, I do a complete new install, (it's kinda my thing anyway.":O}

Up pops Mint Tara at:

Screenshot from 2018-09-19 14-32-38.png Screenshot from 2018-09-19 14-36-25.png

Then I knew!!
    F***ing Drivers baby! LOL

Those settings are using Linux default non proprietary driver

Screenshot from 2018-09-19 14-32-38.png Screenshot from 2018-09-19 14-36-25.png

Which means that Nvidia is screwing up my good thing!!
    So I set up my desktop with most of mt goodies. do another back up and try the Older 340 Nvidia drivers.

As easy as popping corn. Everything straightened out in sound and music! So to make sure I have properly id'ed my problem; I run a new back up and then try the 390 drivers again...right back in Driver hell again, So I restored and will be staying with the 340 drivers until NVIDIA has a new driver update,.

Man this has been one of those "I don't know what to do and without being here hands on with my particular gear, not much anyone can do to help me."

Now everything is "Just so smooth"

Time to get back to our music! ":O}
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

With a 52 inch Demon in your house no wonder you have problems! No, it's not a Daemon.
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    Actually the "display" app is lying! I have a 46 inch and it just barely fits in my trailer.":O}