1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tara, Mint 19 has been released!

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Daniel~, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    [​IMG]The Linux Mint Blog
    News from the Mint Team
    Categories
    Recent Posts
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Cinnamon released!
    June 29, 2018 by Clem·261 Comments
    The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Cinnamon Edition.

[​IMG]
    Linux Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon Edition

Linux Mint 19 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2023. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.

New features:

This new version of Linux Mint contains many improvements.

For an overview of the new features please visit:

What’s new in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon“.

Important info:

The release notes provide important information about known issues, as well as explanations, workarounds and solutions.

To read the release notes, please visit:

Release Notes for Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

System requirements:

• 1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
    • 15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
    • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
    Notes:

• The 64-bit ISO can boot with BIOS or UEFI.
    • The 32-bit ISO can only boot with BIOS.
    • The 64-bit ISO is recommended for all modern computers (Almost all computers sold since 2007 are equipped with 64-bit processors).
    Upgrade instructions:

Announcements will be made shortly with instructions on how to upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3.

If you are running the BETA, perform a system snapshot, use the Update Manager to apply available updates, run the following commands and reboot:

apt remove ttf-mscorefonts-installer apt install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb sessioninstaller ttf-mscorefonts-installer sudo rm -f /etc/systemd/logind.conf apt install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" systemd sudo rm -f /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    apt remove ttf-mscorefonts-installer
    apt install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb sessioninstaller ttf-mscorefonts-installer
    sudo rm -f /etc/systemd/logind.conf
    apt install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" systemd
    sudo rm -f /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597
  2. Daniel~

Home page:
    How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19
    July 4, 2018 by Clem·319 Comments
    If you’ve been waiting for this I’d like to thank you for your patience.

It is now possible to upgrade the Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce editions of Linux Mint 18.3 to version 19.

The upgrade instructions are available at: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416

Upgrade for a reason

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Linux Mint 17, 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3 are supported until 2019 and Linux Mint 18, 18.1, 18.2 and 18.3 are supported until 2021.

You might want to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 because some bug is fixed or because you want to get some of the new features. In any case, you should know why you’re upgrading.

As excited as we are about Linux Mint 19, upgrading blindly for the sake of running the latest version does not make much sense, especially if you’re already happy and everything is working perfectly.

Make sure to read the release notes and to know about the new features so you have all the information you need before deciding whether you want to upgrade.

Make sure also to try Linux Mint 19, in live mode, to know if it works well with your hardware.

Take your time

Read all the instructions and take the time to understand them, ask for help if you’re stuck.

The instructions will ask you to make backups, to prepare system snapshots and to try Linux Mint 19 in live mode. Don’t rush into upgrading and do not take shortcuts.

Don’t panic

If you’re stuck or wondering about something don’t hesitate to ask for help:

• You can post here in the comments section.
    • You can ask for help in the forums.
    • You can connect to the IRC (from within Linux Mint, launch Menu->Internet->Hexchat). If you’re new to IRC, please read this tutorial.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    Please read what Mint has to say about upgrading, posted above this post.
    (They seem not to know that this is what I do for fun! ":O}
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Personally I have yet to find a bug in the Beta release. Everything works for me as it should. But as I nhave said many times my needs are really quite limited and I might be just plain old lucky.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    When I tried the beta I went for a fresh install because that's the way mint likes it with beta.
    as you know I go a little nuts over every new release, their like birthdays to me, I celebrate them all!

So imagine my surprise when I tried to upgrade using the code supplied...and upon reboot a small square I could barely read told be i was missing a boot order list ..it was something to that effect (don't quote me.":O}

I thought," I have backup's of my Tara Beta install, before I use one why not install Tara from disk and see how things go. So I do. I install Tara release from disk. I spend around three hours getting things in order and put her to sleep for the night.

But a single thought kept popping off in my heard, something I read on the mint site a fellow who installed fine but upon rebooting got the same nasty message as I. What was it about him that kept bugging me....?
    Ah he has done a fresh install as I just did ..And I had yet to reboot.

So I wake her up tell her to get out of bed put some fresh clothes on. ( Or less colorfully I reboot the bitch.)

I say bitch for I once more I gots ah no go message. I spent a good 5 minutes doing a restore to beta. And must now use my beta until such time as the release stabilizes, enough to boot...can you beat that!! LOL
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for your enthusiasm, Dan. So... if it isn't broken don't fix it. Wonder how long Mint 17.1 will be supported?
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Mint moves a head rather slowly. as this is a number (17,18,19) release they support those for 5 years. which means they update you and continue the never ending work on security updates.
    This allows a guy to continuously update thought the number i.e. 17.1, 17.2, 17.3,These are the "moving" releases that is you move thought the number 17 until you get to 18, then 18 becomes the new supported release

So 17, 18, 19 are all supported for 5 years.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much for this information!
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    To explain anything in Mint is a joy to me.":O}
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

You are certainly the Man, Dan!
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Well I'm the BETA man anyway.":O}
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Far better than being a Button man!!
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    Yet somewhat less than being a zipper head? LOL
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I don't know what "zipper head" means. Plus many, many more things.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    My verson of Zipper head is one you can unzip and take or put in anything you like, like stuffing a toy bear.":O}
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thanks for the explanation.
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    For some reason Tara gave me a whole big bunch of problems, the worst of which was booting to a black screen after installing a fairly large number of panel applets. So don't know which one or combination shafted me.

Long story short moving from Beta to finale release did not go well. Installing the finale release did not go well.

There seems to be a problem booting. Mint lets you choose weather to install with BIOS or UFI, I failed at both until I finally lined up my BIOS/UFI settings in my BIOS.

Asus was creating drives like mad. My main OCZ drive is listed as OCZ, Ubuntu OCZ., UFI OCZ.
    UFI OS. Asus does this with all my drives thought only one is set up to boot.

I finally got something good and stable with UFI OS. The rest simply won't boot. I'm not at all clear about this, I just more or less stumbled though to the end.

But I think that if you want Mint to install UFI instead of BIOS then you must first set your BIOS to UFI.
    Yes Mint now gives you a choice of UFI or BIOS and tells you only that if you go UFI you can't changes partitions or adjust them.

I don't actually understand what UFI is all about...this may have hurt my efforts a bit.LOL

My advice is have a GOOD back up on hand. I had to restore the beta several time and now I've had to restore the final release several time due to the Panel ad-ons thing.

I just don't know how to do a damn thing with a blank monitor. So I restore if re-booting doesn't cut it.

All of that said...Tara Mint 19 is a big WOW! Many new and some important features.

You know, like Mint backs you up every-time update manager updates you.
    You can back up by the hour or the year! Cool beans.":O}
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hmm. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Please, don't take this the wrong way. Not a criticism, just an observation.
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    Yes and no. I could start over right now and have very little if any trouble getting up and running.
    I have to credit my lack of knowledge and the fact that I began in Beta..
    NO one ever said that working with beta was going to be easy. But I suspect that for most it is easy.
    But consider I ran beta for a little over a month without the slightest problem..

I had trouble updating, which then forced a new install. The new install had trouble because I didn't realize I needed to make changes in my BIOS. Not understanding UFI screwed me on my first three attempts to create a new install.

Once I understood it was my Bios/UFI settings and made the necessary switch to ALL UFI or ALL BIOS, I was good to go.

I was set up in Bios and trying to load Mint into UFI, ya gotta go one way or the other,
    Previously you had to load BIOS even if you wanted UFI, now there's choice.
    My problem was I simply did not understand the choice.

But as I said in the beginning, I do this for fun
    Btu as Mint has said, if you don't do this for fun, If your lacking in the frivolity that drives me on:

Hey who doesn't love Mint 18.3?