1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airlander airship

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by danrok, May 10, 2017.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    My point, guys, is that what I'm paying is NORMAL for this area. It's not like I've got some sweetheart deal. I live on the edge of town, and there are deer in my yard every morning, rabbits and squirrels cavorting; heck there are half a dozen horses in a corral about 1/2 a mile up the road.

The rental house I own is my old house, and I'm actually renting it for slightly less than it costs me (between mortgage, insurance, and maintenance), because she's a friend and I can afford to do that for her. It works out for both of us, since I still get the house out of the deal when we are done, and I expect that will be our retirement home. It will be fitting in a way, my wife and our will live out our last days in the home where we started.

And people wonder why I don't want to live on the coast. LOL
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    We were turned down at the credit union, they don't like to make Rv loans. Some of the dealers are advertising FHA loans, were trying this next. Looks like we'll miss the labor day sales....if we can do anything at all.
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    We only get to see deer 10 or 15 times a year, bear but once here, we got bunnies living under a shed.
    But what I Like most is the isolation and the quite. If we don't scare the deer no one does. If we don' chase the deer they stick around for hours and we get a good look at the fawns!":O}

But as George brings to the fore ground... Say what is the average flight time of a 40 foot trailer in a tornado?
    If I tied one end down would it fly like a drunken kite... can you get insurance for that?
  4. Gizmo

Home page:
    The answer to that is a bit tricky. HUD rules instituted in 1976 actually make trailers substantially safer than they were prior (at increased cost, of course). Indeed, in some cases, manufactured housing can actually be MORE structurally sound than site-built homes (which are not covered by the same HUD rules).

So, older trailers (pre-1976), I would actually rather take my chances with it rolling than to strap it down, particularly if it is on a foundation. I went through a tornado in a trailer that was strapped down when I was a boy, and that is NOT an experience I will forget.

Newer trailers (post-1976), put on a foundation and strap down, and they're likely at least as good as many site-built houses. This is also reflected in the insurance premiums; apparently some studies show that trailers may actually be SAFER in some situations.

As for the tornados, the odds of being hit by one are very low. I've been through two, but I'm the exception. MOST people in this part of the country will NEVER experience a tornado first hand, though they may be close to one.
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    That's good to know! Watching the news and seeing ten or fifteen blowing at a time...I guess you forget how BIG the world is and how focused a Tornado is.

Still, from what I have seen it remains very hard on sharks. I know this as there are at least 4 sharknado movies
    To One old Bill Paxton tornado movie!

Rest in peace Bill, you were out numbed but your tornado movie was the best, though not very good, the best!
    No one who has three wives should in any way expect a long life.

But I wish yours had been longer, thank you for the art you made.
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Gosh Dan, you are in a scary situation. Your place in the forest sure sounded nice, maybe you are fortunate that your rent wasn't raised sooner? It's hard to tell if your landlord just got a serious case of the greedies. An awful lot of that is going around. Check your PM's at the old same place.

This Spring seems to have been chock full of tornadoes in Tornado Alley. I saw one at a distance, fortunately when I was a little older than a toddler. First the sky turned green, very odd. The tornado was the classic thin funnel kind, it was so far away that it looked about three inches tall. In Kansas City KS that was. We headed for the root cellar all the same.

I had no idea that a mobile home can be safer than a stick built one, that's great news. All the same an awful lot of them seem to go flying on occasion. Maybe they get bad press from the monsters that run the real estate game?
  7. Gizmo

Home page:
    They get bad press from the monsters that run the press. Bad news sells papers, donchaknow? If it's SENSATIONAL, it SELLS! Just look at Fox News.

There are a couple of things that work together to create the perception that trailers are inherently unsafe:
    1. Most of the people who own trailers are on the poor side; a trailer's all they can afford if they want to have a piece of ground of their own. In addition, trailer parks provide housing at a lower price point than appartment buildings in areas where land is cheap (like here).
    2. Most tornados occur in the plains. The plains economy is driven by agriculture and animal husbandry. This means that most people don't have an awful lot, and those who ARE considered 'wealthy' generally have their 'wealth' tied up in the land (that is, farmers).
    So, you have a situation where the area most likely to have tornados is populated by the people most likely to live in trailers. On the plus side, it also means that the population is scattered, so the odds of a tornado hitting more than a few people is significantly lower than it would be on say the east or west coast.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    It IS a wonderful place. I'm sure those who follow will love it as well. Hmmm. If you mean AOA PM I can't raise AOA! If you mean the PM on POL..I can't remember how to get there LOL

Attached Files:

9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Sound like The New Orleans of the prairie Where we put the poor in the path of hurricanes.

"Rich man has many wishes
    a poor man when ever he can."
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    A deer news flash (White tail)

Yesterday a doe spent her day rather oddly. She sniffed the boarder guard all around our trailed making several circuits Then she came to the elevated window we mostly watch our deer from. she reached her nose up sniffing us...and we cooed.":O}

Today she showed up at our window with twins! smallest I've ever seen in the wild. Kicking their heels and falling over It's really very encouraging to know life will proceed on schedule once we've gone.

She's hangs out...She hides them and comes back to us, I think in her way she testing us for basic sanity, will they attack my kids!?

Then she shows up with just one actually nudges it forward to our window. As if to say" I know where friends but this is a part of me to so bring no harm.

We bring no harm and are delighted in return! ":O}

Twins

An old man I barely understand how new the world is today
    I go unnoticed as she falls over herself in play.

Bursting forth bringing all that can no longer be delayed
    Shocking Lady bug are by chance stunned
    Then in chase of wonder their day at last begun

Wobbly in a heap they toss themselves
    to weak to stand they throw their heads up high
    pleading with body to follow, to stand again. To try!
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

We never see deer in my neighborhood. It must be very nice!
    Monsters are the MSM? Surely you are right about that, good sir. I thought that the richest of the Ritchie Ritch family always chose mobile homes 'cause they can fold up and disappear over night. You know, like our bestest ever presnit? Allegedly being sued by 2700 parties for work done but never payed for? If that's a true number, how could people EVER vote him into the Dogcatcher's office?

You mean too many Americans are pig ignorant about so very much? But Betsy DeVos is going to change this for the better! Thank goodness I get regular Social Security and I graduated from Social Security Disability--Trumpy the Magnificent said he's gonna fix SSD but good. Thank you Your Effin' Majesty! It's hard to believe that he's more cruel than I thought he'd be--but he is!!
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    I to am continually stunned by the evil this world endures. But the light come to put all evil to rest. we must only wait.
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Sorry that the wait will be so long for us. I have to stop thinking about a better future, it's gonna take sooo long.
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    "Death is the road to awe."

"To sleep, perchance to dream
    to dream, aye there's the rub."

"Nobody wants to die
    everyone wants to go to heaven"

"Time is an ocean
    we must learn to swim."

"The clock stopped short
    never to go again
    on the day
    the old man died."
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I have no idea what happens after we die. Afaik, it's all over. To assume anything else seems... pretentious?
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    Me neither.
    As I've been spouting off as to there only really being 3 basic possibilities
    and no has bothered to correct me and perhaps another possibility to my list I again offer it.

1. Dead is dead
    2. Reincarnation.

Now I use to posit a third, Heaven or hell. But upon reflection, reincarnation covers that. Rebirth in heaven or hell...is rebirth, the rest is just geography so to speak.
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Reincarnation is an attractive thought. But as an insect? I read that we have lost a large percentage of the insect population. Hard to miss having less poisonous spiders, yet insects do a LOT of useful work. Birds love to eat them, for instance so less bugs means less birds. I really like birds--so who really knows?
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Speaking of lighter than air vehicles, some bigwig in Silicon Valley is working at building a huge one. To deliver things "from A to Z," and provide luxury quarters for him and his family.
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    My favorite thngy on this topic, I shall share it as God intended! LOL

“Where lies the final harbor, whence we unmoor no more? In what rapt ether sails the world, of which the weariest will never weary? Where is the foundling’s father hidden? Our souls are like those orphans whose unwedded mothers die in bearing them: the secret of our paternity lies in their grave, and we must there to learn it.”

Herman Melville, Moby Dick
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

How embarrassing, I haven't made it all the way through "Moby Dick." Quite a few of Dickens's novels and many of Samuel Clemens works. For some reason Melville is too "thick" or something like that.