1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help justifying a decision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aremis, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

RIght now my desktop has a phenom X4 955 BE, 9800 GT (the 250X that I have actually performs worse than this card), and an old AM3 board. Now, I could spend 800+ dollars switching to intel, but that seems like a really big waste of cash plus I don't like intel. AMD never let me down so I don't have any plans to have an intel setup any time soon.

What I would LIKE to do is a phenom X6 1090T and a 380. I have seen someone else with this as their base and it was pretty good. Past that, a 990FX boardto get a bigger processor later on (maybe the end of the year? Like an 8350 or 70?) and then jump up to AM4 in another year or 2.

Is this a good idea? I can get an X6 for pretty cheap and while the 6300 operates a bit better, I think the X6 chips OC a bit better and they don't have heating issues.

In total, just the proc and mobo come to about 220 bucks for me.I can wait on a GPU and even then, 445 for the whole shibang. I have seen an X6 1090T and 380 pump out really nice visuals in gmaes, and the processor boost would help in video rendering. And yeah, I know its old. Hell I was using a pentium 4 until march last year in my desktop so older hardware isn't scary to me. Don't need diamonds lol.

OR, should I just do the 8350 setup now, push out more cash than I really planned on doing, and then jump to AM4 sooner than later?
  2. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    On mainboards and processors, I always believe in getting the best I can afford at the time, and then I upgrade the other stuff [GPU, disks] over time. The only exception to this would be if my power supply isn't up to the task. That always comes first, above everything else. In this case I might compromise on the CPU, but most likely not the board.

The AMD pricepoints aren't familiar to me anymore. I used to use AMD exclusively, but switched over when LGA 775 was new, and have never gone back to AMD, so I can't be of more help on the particulars.
  3. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

In this point is better way wait for zen (new socket, better performance per core, better ratio performace / watt, SMT design and other issues)

FX have various problems like as: slower cache latencies compared to intel, low performance per core, bad ratio perforamce / watt, older chipset, lack of features and others

This is some comparatives for courtesy anandtech between FX and i7 at same frecuency (4.0Ghz for both) in various programs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is some test with fallout 4 between various FX and intel cpus

1080p Medium

[​IMG]

1080p Ultra

[​IMG]

As your see intel give you better minimum and maximum fps

However intel cpus is much expensive and as commented before if is better wait for zen

But cannonlake must be better than zen in accordance expectations (is very possible make similar jump between clarkdale and sandy bridge, now represent something like as cannonlake improve intructions per cicle around 20% to 25% compared to skylake and kibylake in same frecuency)

:)
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you mrdeathjr28, that's a lot of helpful benchmarks! I love AMD after their two year long performance lead over The Giant Empire with "Sledgehammer." Stood out in the cold for hours trying to win one for free, and bought one eventually. I hope that Zen is a great performance leap.

Succumbed to the sirens of Intel eventually though. Arrgh.
  5. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm 100% with Tr on this. Create a firm foundation with MB and CPU and build from there.