1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Crossfire work/improve gameplay on linux?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Dave

Dave New Member

I'm currently looking at a ASUS Radeon R7 260x and an ASUS Geforce GTX 750 ti. The 750ti is better than the Radeon, but, the R7 has a feature called crossfire ( or crossfire-x) in which 2 GPUs distribute the load between them. The 750ti cannot do this so I want to know if it's worth getting the R7 for the crossfire or the 750ti for its better performance?
  2. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Geforce is better option for game support*, performance, compatibility and low consume especially GTX750ti (66w) very good card dont need pci-e energy connector

*This include wine games and native ports (some of them use wine or derivates aka crossover or based on wine case eON ports)

In radeon side them have many problems in drivers: bad performance**, bugs**, incomplete opengl support**, lack of game developer support this is caused for* * and other things

However crossfire and sli dont supported correctly in linux, is better idea search one powerfull gpu instead two cards for now

:)
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    The only reason I would consider SLI is because I have two GeForce 9800 cards in one of my PC's
    Honestly, a decent modern video card would be cheaper than two cards and still provide enough power to play almost all AAA games.
    I never go out and purchase two cards, but if I happen to have two of them or pick up an extra, then I would consider it.
    New cards are fast enough anyways.
    I would say stick with one really good video card.
  4. Dave

Dave New Member

thanks guys
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Have you tried Crossover in Linux or are you looking to see if its possible?
  6. Aremis

Aremis Member

Crossfire is very limited in linux as the AMD devs seems to think we're a joke. The best driver for AMD is from the community driver in my opinion. While it will work, and I have played with it before, it's not amazing and definately not worth the time to configure.