1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's it going?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by allenskd, Jun 28, 2015.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

What's up people, it's been a while! I'm sure you people have been up to no good so share a bit!

As for me? I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls, incredibly amazing game.

[​IMG]

(note that I don't play it on linux, last time I did I had so much FPS problems it wasn't worth it). I'm currently dual booting so yea, if you guys want to give it a spin on WINE, do it. It actually works. Just be sure to have a modern video card as Dark Souls was NEVER an optimized game. Things like Blighttown will make your CPU/GPU cry due to never been optimized.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wow, that is a nice wallpaper. I've never played Dark Souls... yet
    I'm currently testing Halo Combat Evolved and playing all the way through Dark Void.

I finished HammerWatch with my daughters, at least to the dragon boss. I think there is more after that.
    But I have been playing Neverwinter with my oldest daughter and we both play it in PlayOnLinux. What a cool game.

My wife and I are playing Grim Dawn and its funny because she's playing in Windows 8 and it crashes almost every time we play, but in PlayOnLinux, it runs fine... I've even hosted the game and it runs a bit slow, but no crashing.
    Strange to me because it appears Wine got something right that windows didn't.

Anyways, glad you are still around. If you don't want to chat Linux, please post in Games and we'll still chat with you.
    I love screenshots, so if you take any, feel free to post them!
  3. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

That's a pretty cool wallpaper. :)

[​IMG]

I'm dealing with "work stuff", and I'm since today unemployed.
  4. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

work stuff, huh. I've been unemployed for a while, haven't found a job due to job market being trash at the moment. (lots of awful things)

@booman:
    I can chat linux, haha. I'm currently using Fedora 22, doing some C++/Qt development which is amusing being in a GNOME 3 environment (doesn't bother me). GNOME 3 has improved at least.

I've been keeping an eye on recent issues, yet keeping myself out of the discussion as I've a lot of problems on my own to participate.

Lots of learning to do, can't wait to finish my bachelor's and move to the U.S. Really in need of work and I can't find it where I am. Hopefully someone will appreciate my skills. :(
    Aryvandaar likes this.
  5. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Yeah, I know how that feels. Most companies look for people with 3-5 years work experience and often ask for experience in a super market or kiosk (well atm I'm just looking to get any job), because it's not like any moron can learn super market or kiosk stuff in a few minutes.
  6. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Wait till Windows 10 releases and you see technical recruiters say: "3-5 years of experience in Windows 10!". Haha...

And yea... nowadays? The requirements are getting insane as the days go by. "Oh so you have experience in C++? But do you have experience in Agile, SCRUM, bla bla." Obvious answer for me is that I can pick it up as I learn, but nope, that answer no longer seems viable for them.
  7. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Haha. Like experience in Windows matters any more.

That's the answer I've given a few times. Things aren't that hard to learn, but nope. It seems every business out there will have people who is ready to work, with all the experience needed for a flawless job. Businesses are getting rather selfish, not to talk about the paradox or the big fucking elefant in the room.

How are people supposed to get that experience? BY WORKING.

One would think that people would be smart enough to understand that, but nope.
  8. booman

Home page:
    All the CAD, Sketchup, System Admin experience I have is from working. Day-to-day on-the-job work. Pay me to learn and I'll learn it all.
    Why can't businesses learn that? Even if I have experience, every company has different workflow. So I'll still have to learn.
    At the same time I don't think companies would advertise "Systems Admin job for anyone who is willing to learn Windows 10, Server 2010 and OSX"
    They would rather list what is expected, I just hate how it sounds "written in stone"
  9. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Well, these companies suffer for it as well. Because finding someone with all the experience and knowledge in all those areas isn't easy.
  10. booman

Home page:
    Sometimes I wonder if they are just "sweat shops"
    Hundreds of employees working 14 hours a day on a game that costs millions of dollars.
    Just like the movie industry.
    Look how many bad movies are published every week.
  11. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

@Aryvandaar:

Windows experience still matters... there are thousand of businesses running it. Met some great people that were practically wizards with Active Directory and Powershell. Of course, saying this here in a linux forum is bound to raise dislike.

@booman: Some companies actually gives you the space to study and learn. Don't expect the same treatment in medium to small companies as they are too busy wondering how to screw their employees. (there are also some extra variables to consider like how open-minded, progressive they are... most of what I've met? super conservative and narrow-minded).

As for experiences, man, it's all about connections and attitude. Which is why I hate it here as I don't know any guy who I could use as leverage. If you are good with people chances are you will land somewhere, if you are just a jaded nerd chances are they'll take their chances with someone else.
  12. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Yea... I still recall when Dreamworks cut over 500 jobs. Never good news, I just hope I land somewhere stable enough to grow.
  13. booman

Home page:
    Its actually quite ironic that I'm working in the Newspaper industry...
    I got this job because I was already working as an artist (on MAC) and there was an IT position open
    I was hired on-the-spot during the interview because of my part-time experience with Server 2003, Windows XP and playing with computers at home.
    I've been here for almost 4 years and I've mostly worked on old systems with old OS's with old programs.
    There are still a lot of companies that can upgrade their OS because of proprietary programs that have to be upgraded first.
    That costs a lot of money in the newspaper industry. We just don't have it.
    So I've been spending 4 years trying to keep the old systems running.
    That is what I'm good at. :D
  14. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

They still use Windows XP there? I hope they aren't paying for the updates because the cost of maintaining a unsupported OS is INSANE. Sometimes I wonder why they don't just hire developers to write the program cloning the features/etc. As an example? The U.S Navy paid $9 million just for a year of updates.

Legacy software may be one hell of a nightmare, especially when you never planned for the future...
  15. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

The conditions in some of the dev companies are horrible as well. I've heard that it's pretty horrible to work as a dev for ubisoft, and I can't say that I'm surprised..

I've mostly given up on new entertainment. Most of it is milked unoriginal crap with lots of explosions, 50 minutes head bashing fights and bad scripts.
  16. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Yeah I know, what I meant was that they keep changing things so often that for every new Windows release your previous experience doesn't matter that much.
  17. booman

Home page:
    Actually I just finished upgrading everyone to Windows 7.... FINALLY! :(
    As of February 2015 we were all still Windows XP. Pretty sad.. I know
    But many of our proprietary software still requires Java 1.5, Internet Explorer 8, and Server 2003.
  18. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Neat, that was actually my last gig. My windows knowledge increased tenfold after the gig. Man, can people be difficult tho... :(
  19. booman

Home page:
    Exactly... even though I'm focusing all of my efforts on Linux at home, I still have a lot of Windows knowledge.
    People ARE difficult, but I've been blessed with an immense patience and can deal with them respectably.
    I just love playing with computers all day. :cool:
  20. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I encounter this when having conversations with developers regarding supporting Linux. They're like "but there are so many linux distros, and even just supporting the major ones would be such a headache". Umm.......as opposed to Windows? Let's see....at one time, I was supporting my applications on Windows 95/98/ME, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. Those OSes are AT LEAST as different as the major Linux distros, and in some cases arguably moreso. And then add the various service pack levels on top of that, plus the various iterations of DX.

It really comes down to where your experience is, and the fact is that it's easier to find developers that have Windows knowledge than it is to find developers with Linux knowledge. To be fair, this is a consequence of the fact that Windows is just a much larger market than Linux.

However, really good developers don't come cheap. Unfortunately, the consequence of the large Windows market is that there are just an awful lot of crap devs out there, which depresses the market worth of developers in general, and that makes it harder for the really good ones to stand out. They either eke out a living doing contract work (and some of them do quite well), or they get so frustrated that they just leave software development altogether.
    Aryvandaar likes this.