1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst Game experience in Linux?

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by booman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    What is your worst gaming experience in Linux?
    Was it installing, configuring or optimizing?
    Was it a native Linux game or a PC Game you are trying to run in Linux?

Did you ever resolve the problem?
    How did you fix it?

Educate us... what should we avoid to not make the same mistakes?
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    For me Games in Linux hasn't at all been a painful experience... Most Direct X 9 games play in an untroubled fashion. When they don't they don't and one learns to move on.

But we all have our Waterloo... Mine Is Crysis 2.

Why Cry-2. Because it plays so beautifully! The Graphics are perfect! The play is perfect. When your in the game, it's almost impossible to believe it will crash, it looks and acts that good!

Then it crashes. Over and over again it crashes! I've tried over 25 different Wines, three versions of POL, two versions of Crossover several versions of winetricks.

All thee can run Cry-2 in some fashion, all three look pretty damn good. then it crashes... I crashed my way though 25% of the game.

I know it's around 25% of the game because I finally bought the beautiful bastard for my PS3...Never crashes my PS3

But I feel the defeat...one day Crysis 2 in Linux capability will be mine! ":O}
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I've had a lot of small learning experiences where I would have to re-install again and again. Mostly because I didn't know how to undo something I installed, so I would have to start over.

My biggest mess was trying to install ATI drivers for my old Radeon 9600 Pro. I would follow steps on the internet but something would always be different or missing from the instructions. After 3 or 4 tries I would have to start over by installing Linux again because I didn't know how to roll-back my changes. It got so bad that I just gave up. Remember this was my first gaming experience with Linux so I was stubborn to get it working. My friend Kaitain logged in SSH from across the world and updated my distro and installed the drivers for me.
    The first game I got to work in Linux was Doom 3. It ran ok on the 9600 Pro but I definitely wanted more. I eventually got Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory to work also.
    At the same time this was my Linux server and I didn't really want to play games but instead host them for multiplayer. Its sparked my interested in Linux gaming and now .... here I am!