1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work on Gamepad Compatibility for Games

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Jareth, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Jareth

Jareth New Member

I have a suggestion, & it's potentially manifold.
    I suggest for extensive work put into Gamepad Compatibility for Games.
    I came across the problem when trying to get the Northern UI mod functioning for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I'm certain that the mod requires XINPUT1_*.dll, & I'm aware that POL_install_XINPUT exists, while I'm as well certain that there are various different versions of xinput.
    The guide suggests that the install for Oblivion be based upon wine 1.7.46, while troubleshooting compatibility for the Northern UI mod would consist of more within a contrasted compare of simple guess-work.
    I'm aware that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim requires XINPUT1_3.dll, while I've not tried to install Oblivion in a Windoze system yet, not actually, so the xinput for Oblivion might be an older edition that I've not tried to get working, & I'm not certain about the different xinput versions for the different Wine versions.

Something else I noticed, just to make a note: When trying to install the Construction Set for Oblivion, if the Construction Set actually is within a separate HDD, then the install fails to show a ConstructionSet.exe, while if the Construction Set actually is within the Downloads folder, then it installs & shows the ConstructionSet.exe just fine. The first install of the Construction Set worked, while subsequent install attempts failed, & I realized the solution upon downloading the Construction Set again.
    That's probably an aspect problem with my attempts to get Skyrim installed in my Linux System, inclusively aside of being irritated that Skyrim did not insist that I install Steam when installing upon a Windoze system, not at all, while the instructions for install upon a Linux system insist upon going through Steam.
    I really don't like Steam insisting upon their interference at install, not at all. I just don't like the advertisements, not at all.
    :p

I really want to figure out how to use QJoyPad, or how to configure Joy2Key, for use with various Games. I have QJoyPad sort of working for Oblivion, though I really want additional features, & creating mods for Linux compatibility would be awesome.
    That's part of the manifold aspect about this post:
    A Devoted Topic for Game Mods, & appendations of Install Instructions for Games & their feature compatibilities for install upon Linux.
    As far as QJoyPad & Joy2Key are concerned: Debian Stretch doesn't have a GUI for Joy2Key, not at all. They later included one in Debian Bullseye. Thus, I would need a config file for Joy2Key functionality.
    I really want QJoyPad to work with Combo Mapping. i.e. Configuring Hotkeys for the directional Axis controls in Oblivion, for an example. I can program Hotkeys 1, 3, 5, & 7, though to configure for 2, 4, 6, & 8 would require a combination of the directional Axis on the XBox360 Controller, which IS in fact an XINPUT-friendly Controller.
    Having a devoted Topic for that sort of written Thread could be really useful for the Linux Community of Gamers.

:)

Cheers!!

P.S. *Bump*

I noticed that Gamepad Combo Button Mapping was either scarcely or in absolute lack of mention of people within various other forums.
    That seems weird to me.

Salut!
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Hi Jareth!
    I love your devotion to testing and Elder Scrolls gaming!

I've had hit-n-miss with gamepads in Linux. I have both a generic Playstation USB and Amazon Basics Xbox USB controllers. Depending on the game, one of them usually works.

As for PlayOnLinux, there are xinput packages available but probably old. You might be better off using winetricks and installing what you in the PlayOnLinux prefix.

I normally do it like this....

Run in Terminal

Install Winetricks
    Code:
    wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt install winetricks
    then
    Code:
    chmod +x winetricks
    Install package
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/prefixname  winetricks xact
    There is a huge list of packages and overrides available for Winetricks and they work fine in PlayOnLinux prefixes and Proton prefixes.

This is how I installed Media Foundation for some games.

Sadly there isn't much help in our forum, just us dedicated gamers and a few posts testing games.
    You might have more success in Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/