The Outer Worlds in Proton

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Sep 23, 2024 at 11:56 AM.

• by booman, Sep 23, 2024 at 11:56 AM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    The Outer Worlds is an Obsidian Entertainment game much like Fallout but in Space. Explore huge maps on several planets with their unique biomes, creatures and inhabitants. Learn how a powerful corporation has taken over each planet by controlling their economies while helping an unravelling rebellion. Which side will you choose? Why choose a side at all?

Upgrade your arsenal of melee and projectile weapons and loot to your hearts desire! Recruit characters into your crew and invite them along away missions to the planet. Level up your active/passive skills and your NCPs as well.

Mint 21.3 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1650
    Nvidia 535
    Proton GE 9-11

At first launch I cranked up the graphics to high and the game was unplayable. Frame rates were way too low. So then I started turning down the settings one by one and eventually was able to play. There were some serious issues with the menus like inventory or map. Once you leave the menu frame rates dropped dramatically. I did a bit of research and found that a specific version of Proton was able to help with this issues.

Changing the graphics settings in game didn't always result in satisfying frame rates, so it was important to restart the game. Now that I have been playing for weeks there are no serious issues. Every once in a while the frame rate will drop after leaving a menu but it resolves pretty quickly. Also, sometimes there is a cloud overlay that appears on the screen which can be resolved by going to a menu and then back to the game. None of these issues are game breaking with Proton GE 9-11

worlds-0.jpg worlds-2.jpg worlds-3.jpg worlds-4.jpg worlds-5.jpg worlds-7.jpg worlds-8.jpg worlds-9.jpg worlds-10.jpg worlds-12.jpg worlds-13.jpg worlds-14.jpg worlds-15.jpg worlds-16.jpg worlds-17.jpg worlds-19.jpg worlds-20.jpg worlds-21.jpg worlds-22.jpg worlds-23.jpg worlds-24.jpg worlds-25.jpg worlds-26.jpg worlds-49.jpg worlds-48.jpg worlds-47.jpg worlds-44.jpg worlds-43.jpg worlds-42.jpg worlds-38.jpg worlds-31.jpg worlds-29.jpg worlds-27.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 12:02 PM

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Sep 23, 2024 at 11:56 AM.

1. Daerandin
    The screenshots look amazing!