1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by booman, Mar 22, 2018.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Remember that day I won the AOA case mod contest back in 2007 or 2008?

The prize was a full 5.1 surround speaker system! About a year later the subwoofer gave up. So I purchased another 5.1 system and used the Subwoofer to power the speakers from the original system. A year later it gave up as well.

So now I'm using two 2.1 speaker systems for my 4.0 surround setup. They are old and beat up.
    I love the speakers from my first system, but I don't have a Powered Sub to drive them.

Now I'm looking at a brand new 5.1 surround setup, but not sure how to go about it.

If I buy another 5.1 system, then I'll have a total of 15 speakers because of all the old systems I purchased.
    I thought about just purchasing a Powered Subwoofer, but the Home Theater selections only power two speakers... and are made to work with an Amplifier/Receiver.

I also thought about purchasing 3 mini-amps to power the front LR, rear LR and center speakers, but I'll still need a powered subwoofer.

I really don't need anything super nice, just something to plug my PC into 5 speakers and a sub without spending more than $200.00
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Having been a poor-mans audiophile most my life...I give you this advice. Sell whatever you have and start from scratch. As much as I hate to admit it most folks will be better served by an inexpensive new system that recognizes all the new protocols.

Here you might consider keeping your best speakers for surround or even for front mains if they can give you the sound you want.

When my $2000,00 receiver went out I desperately tried to have it repaired. but 20 is old for a receiver.

I no longer have the income I once did and spent 300.00 on a new cheap0 Denon. Kept all my old speakers.

My Denon originally went for 500.00 but Amazon has 10,000 deals. My Denon was one of them.

Here's the good news. Other than bragging rights I really didn't lose what I thought I was going to with much less expensive gear.

You can get ridiculously good sound from an inexpensive system. 5.1 is still , In my opinion, just as good as 6 or 7.1 unless you can afford really good gear and have a really good ear.

That's what I have now, one good ear, but it is a very good ear! LOL

The other one gives a certain balance to my head but in silence it dwells.

Brains are interesting.

My brain told me that I had perfect hearing. It lied. I'm almost totally deaf in my right ear. But when listening to music my brain tells me I hear everything and possibly I do. But how can I ever believe my brain again!? LOL

Shouldn't this be tragic? I guess it would be if I was at all aware of the loss. But How can I cry over losing what I did not miss? ":O}

Besides, I am old now and there's not a whole big bunch of things I still need to hear.

But Music... Music will be heard long after words fade. Music within alone can give voice to the music that sings in our ears and sets our hearts afire.

I can actually remember or think I do,
    (Brains are funny things!)

The first time I was aware of the music in the world.

I was in a car with my mother and "The little drummer boy" was on the radio.
    I could for some reason feel the manger straw in my hair.

The idea of sacrifice was born within me and sang to me of higher things I could feel but could not touch.
  3. booman

Home page:
    I've never had enough money to buy really nice audio gear.
    My Sony amplifier is 14 years old and still kicking, but that is for movies only.

Remember I have 6 PC for LAN parties and all of them need speakers. So most of them have old Logitech 2.1 speakers for basic gaming.

My Super Computer rig is the one that needs some updating. I'll probably have to bite-the-bullet and get another 5.1 surround for $100+ which is fine, but I don't have the money now.

I was just wonder if there was a better way to power my huge array of random speakers from random systems?
    I looked up compact amplifiers and found these PYLE amps.

I actually have one already hooked up to two speakers on my touchscreen. Doesn't sound that bad.

$52
    https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x120-Audio-Speaker-Amplifier/dp/B0036VO6G4/

pyle01.JPG

or this for $26
    https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA300-90-Watt-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B0071HZ5LE

pyle02.JPG

They could power my existing speakers but I would need 3 of these for rear, front and center.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    I hear you get money once the kids are grown and gone, until then you have your kids and many wishes.":O}
  5. booman

Home page:
    Not me... if their life goes anything like mine, I will be helping them with money as well.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    Well,...
    That sorta guaranties you many wishes.":O}