1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage 2 in Linux

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jan 14, 2023.

• by booman, Jan 14, 2023 at 3:08 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Rage 2 is a second installment of the Rage franchise boasting epic firefights, car battles, bosses, and apacalyptic views!

There is no shortage of loot and action here... everything a FPS action gamer wants! If you have played the first Rage, then Rage 2 is an absolute upgrade! The open world is HUGE... many roads, biomes, elevations and loctions to slay bandits, mutants and soldiers.

In many ways I think Rage 2 is what ID Software wanted for the first game. Not sure if budgets were tight or the fact Bethesda was purchasing the developer, but Rage 2 is by all means EPIC!

Luckily I was able to pick it up for free on Epic store. I waited a few months as I was testing other games and had no idea how amazing this game was. Finally gave it a chance and found that it was buggy with a lot of crashing in Proton. I'm using Heroic Launcher which handles the download and Proton/Wine version perfectly. There are even other settings like enable/disable esync & fsync. After much research and trial-n-error I couldn't get the game to run smoothly because it always crashed at the tab menu or main menu. This was reported on protondb, but I remembered several other games that had similar issues with performance concerning the menus:
    • Assassin's Creed Origins
    • Shadow of Tomb Raider (taking screenshots)
    Then I remembered an old Wine feature called WINECFG
    This is the configuration tool that allows many settings included Virtual Desktop. Back in the day I used Virtual Desktop for every game because Alt+Tabbing out of a game would crash them. Virtual Desktop prevented this. But in the last 5 years or so Linux has been awesome with fullscsreen gaming. So I no longer use it.

I gave it a go with Rage 2 and enabled Virtual Desktop and now it runs flawlessly with almost all settings on Ultra. I had to crank down Ambient Occlusion to "High" and disable motion blur. I've been playing every morning for weeks now and loving it!

I tried some solutions from Protondb.com but was unsuccessful

1. AsyncComputeDisable=1 in settings.ini
    2. Disable compositing for fullscreen windows
    3. Changing Windows version to Windows 7

...None of these attempts worked and I found that Windows 7 was the default in winecfg

The solution for my system was to enable the "Virtual Desktop" in WineCFG and setting the resolution to 1920x1080

This setting elminated crashing in Rage 2 and allowed me to set all of the display settings to ultra. I never experienced another crash after that. I suspected an issue with window settings because the mouse and in-game overlay were somehow crashing the window. So using the Virtual Desktop sets the fullscreen game as windowed in Proton, but it still appears as a fullscsreen game.

Ubuntu/Mint Instructions

Open Terminal
    sudo apt install wine-stable

Heroic:
    Code:
    winecfg /home/username/Games/Heroic/Prefixes/Rage 2/pfx
    Note: change "username" to your Linux login

Steam:
    Code:
    winecfg /home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/548570/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved\ Games/id\ Software/Rage\ 2/
    Note: change "username" to your Linux login

Display Tab
    Check "Virtual Desktop"
    Check Resolution
    Change to: 1920x1080
    Click OK

upload_2023-1-14_10-4-46.png

Specs:
    Mint 20.3 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1650
    Nvidia 515
    Proton Experimental-7.0
    Heroic Launcher

ragetwo-0.jpg ragetwo-1.jpg ragetwo-2.jpg ragetwo-3.jpg ragetwo-52.jpg ragetwo-50.jpg ragetwo-48.jpg ragetwo-47.jpg ragetwo-45.jpg ragetwo-42.jpg ragetwo-41.jpg ragetwo-38.jpg ragetwo-37.jpg ragetwo-29.jpg ragetwo-32.jpg ragetwo-27.jpg ragetwo-24.jpg ragetwo-21.jpg ragetwo-20.jpg ragetwo-18.jpg ragetwo-16.jpg ragetwo-15.jpg ragetwo-14.jpg ragetwo-11.jpg ragetwo-9.jpg ragetwo-8.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jan 14, 2023.