1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Myst IV: Revelation Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Dec 13, 2013.

• by booman, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    The Myst franchise always surprised us with high quality cinematic visuals, interactive puzzles and interesting stories. It has been one of the most loved point-n-click adventures since we first saw Myst in 1993. No directions, no help, just discover the world by clicking and trial-n-error.

myst80.png

As the fourth installment, Myst IV: Revelations continues the story and amazing 360 degree visuals.

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing Myst IV: Revelation in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the Retail version of Myst IV: Revelation. Other versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Mint 14 32-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.1
    Wine: 1.7.7

Copy DVD Data

Before we get started it is a good idea to copy all of the game data from each DVD to a folder on the desktop. Wine always seems to have a problem with multiple Disks, so instead of messing with it, copying the data fixes the problem.

Create a folder on your desktop
    Name the folder: myst4

Enter Disk 1
    Open
    Copy all data from Disk 1 to your "myst4" folder on your desktop
    myst01.png

Enter Disk 2
    Open
    Copy all data from Disk 2 to your "myst4" folder on your desktop
    myst03.png

If you get a warning about existing folders, click the checkbox "apply this action to all files" and click "Merge"
    myst02.png

Installing Wine

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"

Look for the Wine Version: 1.7.7
    Note: Try using stable Wine 1.8 and 1.8-staging

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine01.png

Click Next
    wine02.png

PlayOnLinux will automatically download it and save it in this directory:
    /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86
    wine03.png

Note: username is where you put your login name

Its a good idea to backup this directory to another computer because you won't have to keep downloading wine versions when you need them.

Extracting

Gecko Downloading
    wine04.png

Note: PlayOnLinux may also install the compatible version of Gecko also.

Installed
    wine05.png

Wine 1.7.7 is installed and you can close this window

Setup PlayOnLinux

Launch PlayOnLinux
    Click Install
    myst07.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    myst08.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive"
    Click Next
    myst10.png

Select 32-bit virtual drive
    Click Next

Name your virtual drive: myst4
    Click Next
    myst11.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some Libraries
    Click Next
    myst12.png

Select Wine 1.7.7
    Click Next
    myst15.png

Note: If you are running a 64-bit system, PlayOnLinux will prompt if you want to use a 64-bit or 32-bit virtual drive.
    Always select 32-bit virtual drive.

Wine Configuration

Applications Tab
    Windows version: Windows 7
    Click Apply
    myst16.png

Graphics Tab
    Check: Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows
    Check Emulate a virtual desktop
    Desktop size: 1024x768
    Click Ok
    myst17.png

Installing Windows Packages/Components (Libraries)

Check The following packages:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_dxfullsetup
    Click Next
    myst18.png

Installing Myst

Do not install from DVD
    Select "Select another file"
    Click Next
    myst19.png

Navigate to the "myst4" folder on your desktop
    Select Setup.exe
    Click Open
    myst20.png

Click Next
    myst21.png

Click Next

Click Next

Check "I accept the terms..."
    Click Next

Click Next

Select Complete
    Click Next

Click Next

Installing

Check "I will install Acrobat Reader for myself later"
    Click Next

Check "Never register"
    Click Ok

Uncheck: View the Readme.txt File
    Uncheck: Launch Myst IV - Revelation
    Click Finish
    myst31.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select Myst4.exe
    Click Next
    myst32.png

Name your shortcut: Myst IV: Revelation
    Click Next
    myst33.png

Select "I don't want to make another shortcut"
    Click Next
    myst34.png

Downloading Myst 4 patch

Go To: http://www.ubi.com/US/Downloads/Info.aspx?dlId=708
    Download Myst IV Revlation (PC) v1.02 Patch
    myst05.png

Navigate to your desktop
    Click Save
    myst06.png

PlayOnLinux Configure

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Click Configure

General Tab
    Here you can easily test your game with other downloaded versions of Wine
    Click the + to download other versions
    Click the down arrow to switch Wine versions
    myst35.png

Display Tab
    Direct Draw Renderer: opengl
    Video memory size: select the amount of memory your video card has
    Offscreen rendering mode: fbo
    myst36.png

Miscellaneous Tab
    Click "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive"
    Navigate to your desktop
    Select: myst4_v1.0_to_v1.03_pc.exe
    Click Open
    myst37.png

Click Ok

Click Next

Check "I accept the terms..."
    Click Next

Click Next

Click Install

Wine Tab
    It is a good idea to click Windows Reboot after installing a game
    myst43.png

Launching Myst IV Revelation

Back to PlayOnLinux

Full-screen Note:
    Before launching Myst, you may want to reset your Linux desktop resolution to 1024x768
    This is the only resolution Myst will support. Otherwise the game will appear as windowed.

Select Myst IV: Revelation
    Click Run
    myst44.png

Note: Clicking debug instead will show errors for troubleshooting

Myst video options
    Click Option
    myst45.png

Increase resolution to 1024x768
    Click the check
    myst46.png

Conclusion:
    Myst IV ran almost flawlessly without any extra tweaks or workarounds. There were some slight graphical bugs where projected light is displayed on the screen, but I only found a few instances. The game ran really well on my GeForce 550 Ti and my Solid State drive. Some of the transitions were a bit slow, but that is pretty common in all of the Myst games.

Screenshots:
    myst83.png

myst87.png

myst90.png

myst94.png
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Dec 13, 2013.

1. booman
    High Res Screens
    myst80.png myst81.png

myst82.png myst83.png

myst84.png myst85.png

myst86.png myst87.png

myst88.png myst89.png

myst90.png myst91.png

myst92.png myst93.png

myst94.png
  2. Sara
    What to do if when trying to start the game it ask to put in the CD DVD ? :/ I looked on Internet but cant seem to find a clear answer...
  3. booman
    Normally if the game has several disks, I will copy all the data to a folder on the desktop and install it from there.
    I'll also keep the "play" disk in the drive to allow the DRM to work when you launch the game.

If it isn't seeing the Disk, make sure to eject (unmount) the disk properly before entering it in the drive again. Linux has always been problematic when ejecting disks.

You can look in Wine Configuration Drives Tab to make sure the drive is mounted in Wine too.
  4. Sara
    I checked the wine configuration drive tab and even if the mounted cd seem to show up it still does not work... also I dont have a real CD drive so I am using .iso cd image. here is a screenshot: [​IMG]
  5. booman
    Hmm, it sees both disks and has them mounted.
    Remove the disk that isn't the "play" disk
    Then it should work
  6. Sara
    I tried but it still ask me to put in the right CD in. I also tried running the .exe file from the mounted CDiso: it open the little menu to start the game and when I clic to start it... it ask me to put in the right CD again TwT'' Not to sure what to do...
  7. booman
    You already copied all of the data from both disks into a folder on your desktop correct?
    Also, try downloading a newer version of Wine. 1.7.7 is pretty old. I suggest using the Wine Manager in the Tools menu and download the 32-bit version of Wine 3.0 or 3.0.3
    Those will probably handle the CDROM better.
  8. Sara
    I use wive version 3.16 so I dont think it's the probleme... or maybe it is? I will try other versions I guess
    booman likes this.
  9. booman
    Yeah, let me know if a different version can handle the Disks better. This has always been a problem with Linux and Wine.

I'm testing 3 older games that are on CD ROM and one of them refused to see the second disk. So I had to go into the Drives Tab and set it up. That was the only way to install the game properly
  10. Sara
    I tried a couples of them including the one mention in the post (the 1.7.7) and... nothing, in fact event more stuff seem to not work proprely with them :/ How did you set up your stuff in the drive tab? I tried a couple of thing with it but it doesnt seem to work for me
  11. booman
    Thank you for taking the time to research and trial-n-error this problem.
    Have you already tried installing from scratch?
    Its critical that when you remove a disk, make sure to unmount it first. Otherwise, Wine will think the wrong disk is in the drive.

There definitely shouldn't be two disks in the drive.
  12. Sara
    What do you mean by "installing from scratch" ? I tried deleting the drive with the mounted CD in the drives tab and then use auto detect to find them after mounting and unmounting them... still does the same thing! Im starting to wonder if the iso I got are the probleme somehow :/
    In the beginning I wanted to buy this game on steam since there is the new steam play option (basicaly wine in steam) but, its one of these not so popular game that have no review whatsoever on the website where people say how the game come out for them on there linux environement, so I just tried downloading an iso of the game and tried to run it on wine myself insted so I dont buy the game to discovert it doesn't work or someting... even if I feel that it would now be less complicated to buy the game and get a refund if it doesn't work... I'm kind of want to make it work now because it feel like its so close to be working XD (sorry for all the writing mistakes also)
  13. booman
    I didn't realize you were using an ISO. That is probably the problem with mounting disks. I actually have the DVD version for this guide. I've never tested an ISO version... there is probably a way to get it working, but I don't know how.

I recommend getting the GOG version over Steam, because it is DRM Free and you don't need to run a Steam client. Just wait for a GOG sale:
    https://www.gog.com/game/myst_4

Also, SteamPlay is mostly supporting newer Direct X 10/11 games, so there is no guarantee Myste IV will work. PlayOnLinux is the way to go, so if you pick it up on GOG, just skip the DVD steps and use the GOG installer. No Disks needed.
  14. Sara
    Thats' interesting! I might try that actualy ! Do you know if they are good at giving refund if somehow it doesnt work? I didn't know this website
    booman likes this.
  15. booman
    I think they do refunds, but it "should" work.
    I can walk you through the steps if you like.
    It should work with all the settings in this guide except for the CD ROM copy and installation.
    Also, if you purchase Myst IV, make sure to NOT download the Galaxy version. Galaxy is their "steam-ish" client. It doesn't run in Linux and will cause issues.
    Sara likes this.
  16. Sara
    I think I will be ok from here! :) Also I just manage to make the iso I had work: I found someone online that was trying to make an old game work without the CD and said to download a "no cd patch", I found one for the game and now it works flawless ! I'ts not as good as buying the game though but I thought i would write it anyway if someone lost a CD for a game that ask for it like this.
    booman likes this.
  17. booman
    I've had to use No CD for a few games, but I try to purchase them on GOG when there is a big sale. I rarely purchase a game for more than $5.00

I'm glad its working now!
    Sara likes this.
  18. Pascallo
    It was like dark magic for me, thank you a lot!
  19. booman
    of course, any time!