1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.lnk properties?

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm testing STALKER: Clear Sky and it will only launch from the window$ .lnk shortcut
    When you right-click .lnk files, there is a place for command prompt arguments.

How can I see the properties for the .lnk files in Linux?
  2. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

You can start them with

wine start *.lnk

Also since it's a link (shortcut) to the executable what you really want is to get the executable and pass the arguments you want. for example:

wine /path/to/stalker/stalker.exe [ARGUMENTS]
  3. booman

Home page:
    Clear Sky already had a pre-made .lnk file that launches the game. I need to see the properties in order to find out if there are any swiches or extra commands.
    I uploaded it to my gmail and downloaded it to a Window$ machine, but still no luck.
    I guess I will have to install it on a Window$ computer...

Basically the problem is... PlayOnLinux makes a shortcut to the executable, but the game crashes every time.
    When I run explorer.exe in the virtual drive I can double-click the Clear Sky .lnk and it runs fine.
  4. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Alright let me try explain:

.LNK files are just shortcuts which point to an executable. They are part of Explorer, the file manager of windows. In truth, you don't really need the lnk file for anything in linux. Let's take this apart:

This is a kingdoms of amalur .lnk file I have on my linux box.

Code:
    # david at prinny_arch in ~ [19:15:52]
    $ strings "/home/david/.Jester/bottles/KoA_Reckoning/drive_c/users/Public/Start Menu/Programs/EA Games/Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning/Uninstall Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning.lnk"
    home
    david
    %:D(5
    .PlayOnLinux
    wineprefix
    KoA_Reckoning
    drive_c
    e:DOf
    Program Files (x86)
    EA Games
    :DOf
    Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
    :DOf:DOf
    unins000.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning\unins000.exe

What I just did is run the strings command on the lnk file to see more or less what I'm dealing with. Now have you noticed something?

When we make sense of it, it's just saying "hey, run this for me" "/home/david/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/KoA_Recokning/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/EA Games/KOA/unins000.exe" Followed by a full path in its windows part.

There's probably a high chance that the shortcut that was added by PlayOnLinux altered something in there. But if it runs, just do this.

Locate the LNK file in your linux box. Open your terminal and run strings command:

Code:
    strings MYPROGRAM.lnk
    it should output something similar to what I pasted above.

Look for the executable (file.exe).

Once you have the executable, create a direct shortcut to that executable in your virtual drive. Like I said, maybe POL guys added an option that doesn't belong there.

Now... this is ust me giving one possible solution... I still don't know much about your case or why the game is crashing...
  5. booman

Home page:
    Thanks for being so detailed Allen! I'll try creating another PlayOnLinux shortcut and see what happens.

I'm sure you know that an .lnk can also execute command prompt arguments in the properties.
    You can right click any .lnk in Window$, go to properties and after the quotes add extra switches. Like resolution switches, etc...

I installed Clear Sky in a window$ box and GOG definitely has a pre-made .lnk in the game folder. I checked the properties and nothing extra. No switches, commands, arguments... nothing.

So I'm kinda stumped why it won't launch either.

I'll keep messing with it.