1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hip deep into BIOS and losing ground

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, May 17, 2021.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Attendee maybe sketchy until I sort my settings.
    Carry on, carry on.":O}
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Whatcha doing in the BIOS?
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    Now since you asked me, sit down young man and I'll tell you my tale of woe

One fine day about a week after I got and needed new a power supply with lots of fresh juice to make my mommy board behave. She had grown wilder with her years and now needs a strong hand just to get her up and running.
    And she was, she was up and running right on past my boot screen and I needed to make dark and secretive touchy feelly adjustments in her BIOS..

So rather than wait for her mad dash for the desk top to complete and have her reboot like any sane and sensible person would be inclined to do.

Instead I just made something up, or maybe it was a hold over from the time we all spent in MS hell, in any case I hit CRL/ALT/Del and told my computer that it was suppose to mean stop what you doing now and do what I want you to do.

What a mess! LOL.
    I pulled the RTC pin and replaced it again (6-8 times). I did memory check from off my mother board. I hit a CPU re-set at lest a dozen times. It would reach the boot screen and ask me to hit F3 or del.

I swear to you I did I did hit and re-boot and reset and try again. Mostly It just churned away in darkness so I had no idea what was messing up my boot sequence. But my keyboard meant nothing to my boot screen.

After many hours a thought came to me, what if 20 minutes was the new normal.
    What if giving up and trying again after 10 minuted of blank screen was actually keeping my MB from doing her job.

After about an hour of watcing the news on tv, I switched inputs so I could see my black blank screen and repeat the bad words from my childhood.

But there after 3 days of stumble f******* about sat my Mint in all her radiant glory
    like she hadn't done a thing wrong!!

It was far from over!

once I could reach my bios, I made the mistake of trusting Asus to auto optimize my system.Asus optimized me into a cocked hat!

So I go though the chase your tail until it falls off again. I get to desk top again.
    But my new cordless WiFi track ball won't track or click or do much of anything but pout. It took me a half a day to figure out that the extension cord that came with my new Kensington keyboard for the dongol,so you can keep it closer to your keyboard, won't work with my Logitech trackball.

Once I had a trackball things got much better. To be honest I don't know what upset the hell out of my system,,,but it seems to have settled down...for now...LOL

Thanks Boo!
    I needed to blow off dome steam, now I won't have to misbehave in vengeance! ":O}
  4. booman

Home page:
    Sounds like you have had a hell of an adventure!
    Imagine having 9 PCs with Mint and dealing with different things.... its fun!

I totally understand your frustration... it must not be very happy with your new keyboard.
    So it rebelled and taught you a lesson! :rolling:

For the most part all of my Mint PCs run really well. I don't updated them as much as I probably should, but we don't use two of them. The four of us use our 4 PCs for each of our needs, then we game a bit.

• Wife and I are playing through Diablo 3
    • Wife, kids and I are playing Terraria again
    • Kids and I are playing Slime Rancher co-op
    • I'm playing Assassin's Creed Origins
    In the past I've had failing power supplies, replaced monitors, upgraded to wireless keyboards & mice, Upgraded CPU, Motherboard and RAM on two PCs.... Swapped around Video Cards....
    I would love to buy a new video card, but the prices are ridiculous!
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Things I FINALLY understood thanks to my ordeal.

I've a two year battle with my 5.1 sound. I try every setting in my bios.

Never found it because it was a setting on my TV. I put it to PASSTHOUGH
    ans all is well and it surrounds me.My ROKU TV s my input hub

I finally got a reasonable sized cursor from OXY in mint themes.
    OHJ! OH!
    Comupiz cube is back and works great!
    Big Fun!
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    In the past 4 years I've looked at many but seriously play but three.
    1 the last of us.
    2 Last of us part 2
    3.Borderlands 2

But for constant nearly unending play Borderlands 2 is well...
    "I'm starving! I want to eat your babies."

"Hold still son this is going to hurt!"
  7. booman

Home page:
    Ha ha, Borderlands 2 is amazing! Played through with my oldest daughter... actually we played through all of them and censored the voices because of the swearing.

I've been struggling with surround sound 5.1 as well.
    Mostly because I still have that old system I won back on AOA for modding a case.
    The sub no longer works and it powered the satellite speakers. so I still have the satellites and have purchased a surround kit to use the powered sub for my satellite speakers....
    Well, burned out two of them.... ARG!

Then I thought, I could buy small powered amps for center, front left/right and rear left/right. That worked for a while, but realized when I smelled electrical burning that you can't stack the small amps on top of eachother. They get waaaay too hot!
    Not to mention they don't decode Dolby or THX. So surround never quite worked anyways.

Now I'm using a full PC surround system 5.1 with powered sub and decoding. Working good so far, but I miss using my speakers.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm on my 3rd or 4th play though in Borderlands
    Same with the two last of us games.

I've gotten as far as level 58 I think it was was, but mistakenly restarted the game rather than going for Superman status..

I'm now at level 49.
    But I spent weeks lost in Caustic caverns looking in all the wrong places, over and over again! LOL

But yes I finally found my way, then forgot how I found my way and spent several more week learning not to forget where I've been.
  9. LloydBoobe

LloydBoobe New Member

Seriously?

Only a BOT tried replying to this?

Die, bot, diieeee

Really though. While playing games is a great way to cool off and ease any anxiety in your life, by taking care of your future first, you will greatly reduce more anxiety that is coming your way
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    way back machine in use

I think of you when ever I want to cry and give up on computers
    maybe try surfing the big waves
    or wait for better computing to arrive