1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOG Linux Client

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, Jun 6, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
  2. booman

Home page:
    The client is called Galaxy and it is planned to be optional and online/offline use.
    http://www.gog.com/news/cd_projekt_red_gogcom_summer_conference

I'm not surprised. Everyone else is doing it, now lets have another client for PC gaming.
    Its as if the PC world is trying to mimic Tables & Phones by creating "apps" that will download and launch their games.
    At least GOG is DRM-free. That is the best quality because you don't have to use the client to launch the game if you don't want to.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    GOG promised long ago that if they made a client, it would always be optional. In other words, you don't have to use it at all. Personally I will stick to downloading manually as I always have from GOG. From what I have seen they also listen to their customers, unlike some other companies. When they implemented regional pricing on GOG, there was quite the outrage from customers. This made GOG go away from the regional pricing, and titles that already had it implemented would instead offer compensation to buyers in the form of free game codes.
  4. booman

Home page:
    GOG Rocks! I hope they make a "sister" site for new games GNG.com (Good New Games)

I probably won't use the client either, unless there is a lot of demand for it. I totally understand what they are doing... social engineering with games. Steam already has the most success and a great business-model, might as well try and mimick them right?
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    They do rock, I always choose GOG for my games as long as games are available there.

Actually, they did away with the "Good Old Games" meaning of their title a couple of years ago. I recall there was a news video from them where they asked their customers to instead just think of them as GOG.com instead of Good Old Games. This was when they first started having some new games. They want to offer as many games as possible, both old and new. However getting game publishers to agree to releasing their games without DRM is not easy, which is why GOG still don't have as many new titles.

I already pre-purchased The Witcher 3 on GOG now which will be DRM-free of course.

I am very excited to see how they will do things when they start releasing Linux games. I own FTL and Legend of Grimrock on GOG, and both have Linux versions on Steam, so I would love to get the Linux versions on GOG as well. Both are pretty good games.

This client will probably just make it more convenient to keep games updated (GOG do release updates for games now and then) as well as provide a centralized client from where you can launch your games.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Oh, I didn't know about the press release about their name. GOG is fine with me.
    Maybe I should purchase The Witcher 3 just to support DRM free games.
    Maybe other publishers will take notice that DRM free has many benefits.

I'm waiting for Linux releases as well. I almost thought about contacting GOG about Linux Game testing just in case they need some one with a lot of Wine experience.
  7. Daerandin

Home page:
    I don't think they will do Linux releases for wine. From what I understood of their Linux games, it will be native Linux games, as well as DosBox games for Linux. However, if they start doing game packages for wine as well, that would be awesome.
  8. booman

Home page:
    I have no problem with Wine wrappers and GOG games. Every game I have tested from GOG in Wine has worked pretty well. Some mouse problems here and there, but otherwise flawless.
    Wine is great at handling most DirectX 8 & 9 games. Its those stinking DirectX 10 games that cause problems.
  9. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I'm kinda officially back on GamersOnLinux. It's been a crazy ride! I don't know if you guys have been getting yourself busy with E3 stuff, it's been an amazing show, especially Nintendo Direct.

It surprised me that GOG is introducing a client. I like the idea, however the trailer felt like they weren't going to compromise. I do hope I'm wrong because I would like to see more and more people adopting GOG, we need to strive for a DRM-Free environment and while it sounds unrealistic--because you know, there are people that loves to pirate stuff--so let's support GOG all we can.
  10. booman

Home page:
    Glad you have time to hang with us now! I watched a little E3, but usually its a bunch of over-hyped press to me.
    I never purchase a game at launch... never have. I always wait a year or more for the price to drop. Same with movies and computer hardware. Initial prices are ridiculous, so I wait until its more affordable and matured.

Those big companies who spend millions on a game will never go DRM free, but I love how popular GOG has become. They finally proved that DRM free has its benefits. Specially with Witcher franchise. A lot more indie games have followed suit because they know if the DRM doesn't work, they will have a bunch of angry customers and will loose potential profits.
    Obviously companies loose profits to piracy as well, but its always harder to pirate a program or game and most gamers just want to play the game instead of jumping through a bunch of hoops.

Do you think Consoles will ever go DRM free? Is piracy even possible on a console?

When GOG releases Linux games, now you have more games for Steam Machines that will run DRM free as well.
  11. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Hmm E3 may be overhyped but it's still relevant to console gamers on the upcoming games and news.

Piracy does affect consoles as well. Most console games are DRM free because 1) there's no securom in them 2) there's nothing like Games for windows live 3) You aren't required to be always online to play games on consoles.

Now things are changing, Microsoft tried to go always online with Xbox One and it failed miserable. The gaming community wants to be able to play games offline. It doesn't make sense playing Single Player games such as Tomb Raider online. Nor it make sense to be always online.

Anyway, as for piracy in consoles. PS2/Wii/PlayStation 3/Gamecube/3DS/DS/some others are all subject to piracy. People modify things either in the hardware or software (or both,really) to run backup copies of the game. When I say backup copies I'm referring to copies downloaded from torrent sites.

So no... console games don't have DRM to begin with, you just buy the console, insert the game disc and play to your heart content.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Interesting point. I guess I never realized console games were DRM free. So is it possible to download a game to your Xbox and then copy it and send it to your friends?

Seems like the DVD's or Blue-Ray would have some kind of copy protection.
    I remember trying to hack the original Playstation so I wouldn't need the CD in the drive.... didn't work of course... and copying/burning the CD ROM didn't work either.

I know you can just give or sell your Game to your friend, but even now with Steam, you can't even do that anymore.
    Really sucks! Once I purchase the game it should be mine. But Steam won't even allow you to trade it with a friend.
    Guess that is why they are offering the family sharing plan. (I don't remember what its called)

PC games have much better control over DRM and licensing, but obviously its easier to pirate games and media.
    I really don't understand why some games have to be online at all times like Diablo 3.
    Its kind of a slap-in-the-face for people who purchased it honestly.

Steam seems to be the best way to get AAA titles for a decent price and simple DRM, besides a few games that require Uplay or Origins even if you purchased them in Steam.

I just pray that Valve doesn't go bankrupt or get hacked one day causing us to loose all connection to Steam. I have over 100 games in Steam alone. I back them all up at home, but still need Steam to launch them.

I guess if that happened, the developers would just release their own download with Steam DRM free exe's.
  13. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

This is of course my perspective.

No, you can't create a backup copy and send it to your friends because it wouldn't run. Now that I think about it, there's a copy protection. I guess it sort of falls into DRM, but not the type of DRM you see on PC, at the very least, less restrictive. You buy the game, you play it or share it.

PC games, imho, is a mess when it comes to DRM as there are many types... I think digital distributions like Steam and GOG will have a positive impact in the future. However, it doesn't really make the piracy movement go away. Things like always online is considered a DRM strategy. Possibly the worst strategy, in my opinion.

Steam is great, but let's be honest. I'm a developer myself, not a game developer but one that has to bring food to the table. Everyone's mindset is now on the "oh, lets wait for Steam sales, you'll get it 75% off", which to be honest, not only does it impact the IP in terms of profits, it also eliminates the chances of getting a decent sequel or new IP. Fine, you want your game to be $8.99, let's take in consideration this. A game like Destiny alone is an investment of $500 millions, this cover marketing, development, artists, etc etc.

What we need to analyze is how this will affect how game developers and publishers distribute games. Will it fall into 10 hours gameplay? Will it hinder the IP chances of growing?

Games on sale are awesome. However, developing a game alone is costly. I don't know what publishers will do, but I'm sure it will affect us as consumers. There are people quite entitled about wanting everything cheap. Heck, I've seen them on Steam myself.

There's a lot of consideration to take in. I support developers, always will. I'm sure many people will reject my point of view in favor of cheaper games.

Steam DRM is "exclusive" of Steam client. It cannot be shipped (afaik), so no I don't think that's possible.
  14. booman

Home page:
    The game industry is not all that different from the movie industry.
    Pump out High Definition movies packed full of special effects as quick as possible. Eventually it costs more to release it sooner because it requires more people to make it. The result is more expensive products to cover all the costs.

How do publishers survive if a game fails to profit?

I personally can't afford to go to the movie theater and see movies released on the first night. I also never purchase a game when its first released. That is just way too expensive. Not to mention I have 6 gaming computers which I run LAN Parties.
    Imagine purchasing 6 copies of a $50.00 game!!! NO way!

Instead I have to wait a year for prices to drop or to find a used copy. I still get the same experience and save a lot of money.

There are some interesting copy protections on movies and console games. But we all know computers can do so much more!

We also know that some products no longer sell. So why not give them away or put them up for sale?
    I loved how publishers were releasing a free game to publicize their new game.
    Its great for us consumers!

I do see your point about consumers expecting games to cost below $10.00
    But those gamers (like me) never get to purchase the game on release day! Ever!
    That is the cost, and to me its no big deal. But if developers, artists, programmers are suffering... who's fault is it?
    How do we remedy this problem?

I also love Indiegogo and Kickstarter because it allows gamers to donate money up front in hopes of a great product. Its an interesting business model.

Do some work on the game, present it to the masses, ask them to give money, hit your goal, produce your game.

I have to admit something...
    There are so many new games releasing these days, I can't even keep up. Gaming is no longer just entertainment, its now an addiction. Just like television.
    Consoles, PC, Mac, Arcades, Apps, internet games.... Its crazy!