1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DosBox

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Aremis, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

So idea.

Why don't we throw money at dosbox so they can get to Windows XP and Vista stages?

I know the reason you'll come up with. "WINE IS BETTUR HUURR URR HURR" But hear me out.

Dos box ships with basic tools to run games, apps, and all that blah. Since I know I can install windows components that I would need, like wine, it would be a lot nicer to have better control without the menu's of POL or the hit and miss of WINE.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't use anything but straight up WINE, but the fact that you get a VM and say HEY, I WANNA CONFIGURE DIS and it lets you edit it without bitching.

WHERE ARE THE NEGATIVES HERE I DON'T SEE THEM.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I think this will eventually happen. Specially with Windows XP. Someone (hopefully DOSbox devs) will create a fast emulator for WinXP so we can use our old programs and games. Since computers are getting faster by-the-day, it should run fast as DOS games do in DOSbox.
    You know the main problems with games in XP, the libraries and direct x.

Wine seems to be the better option since its not emulating anything.
    Who knows, maybe Wine will do it some day?
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Emulation is nice, but I doubt you could get it working for any newer games since there would be a considerable performance hit. But there are a lot of old XP games that should be easily emulated without any performance issues.

The Longest Journey is a big favorite of mine, and it does not work in wine. It does somewhat work in a patched version, if you don't mind lots of graphical issues and problems with the point and click part (in other words the entire gameplay). Currently I use virtualbox with win7 if I want to play that game.

So I agree, as long as we are not talking about too recent games, there should not be any performance issues, and it would probably work quite well.