1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devoted "Pi Gaming" Topic

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Jareth, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Jareth

Jareth New Member

A Devoted "Pi Gaming" topic would be really cool for Gamers on Linux.
    Some reliable info about gaming on Raspberry Pi could be really helpful.
    They're doing some great things on Raspberry Pi for gaming. One guy made a RetroPie install on a Raspberry Pi Zero that he mounted in a gutted classic NES Game Cartridge (HowChoo did that tutorial video). He used a Pi Zero W, with the WiFi so he could use his wireless controller. People suggest to get this controller for gaming on Pi:
    https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SF30-...W,B07BNR6HG9,B0781LDL1J,B07GK8J3V8,B07TDTXHJP

I have the SN30 in my list, though they suggest the SF30 Controller.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B Model. People suggest to use a Pi that's devoted to gaming for their Pi Game Console, so I need to get a separate MicroSD Card for a RetroPie install. There are various games that you can install on Raspbian though, & I've checked a few of those out. They're neat. I like the FreeCraft, because I loved the original WarCraft games, & spent a lot of time playing those with friends on the internet back in the 90s.

Uhh, there's quite a lot of work to be accomplished with getting games running on the Raspberry Pi. People suggest that limitations about Video Cards actually are what's holding Pi Gaming back. I would think that a USB Video Card WOULD work to improve Gaming on the Raspberry Pi machines. There are USB Video Cards that even have up to 4GB of DDR2 RAM. Even 512MB of Video RAM would enable playability of games like the original Neverwinter Nights. There are other older games as well that would require a little bit of Video RAM. With the additional RAM that the Pi 4 has, Pi Gaming could become a thing.

I have an original Nintendo NES system that I wanted to gut & use to install 2 Raspberry Pi 4 machines, & use one of them as a Game Server host for games like Neverwinter Nights, & then use the other machine for a Game Client. I as well would put an Extension Board in the retro console for a gutted NES Game Cartridge that had a SSD Drive that could mount to the System, & include a KVM Switch so that I could view the Server system that probably would have Raspbian installed, with the Game Client machine running RetroPie.

It's suggested that the Raspberry Pi Zero costs $10, while I am hard pressed to find a listing for one upon the internet stores for less $15, & $20 to get the board to my house. That's JUST for the board, not including a Power Supply, a MicroSD card, & a Game Controller. Still, that makes the console built with a Pi0 run about $35. To go with a Pi2 seems the better option for a serious gamer that's building their own Pi Gaming Console. The Pi2 board runs about $35 delivered - about that, approximately.

There's another guy that posted about a PlayStore app for turning your Cell Phone or Tablet into a Raspberry Pi monitor.
    I installed the app. To make it work that way requires an HDMI Capture Card, & the cable adapters specific to your phone or tablet.
    This actually is the link for the HDMI Capture Card:
    https://www.amazon.com/Video-Captur...1a2641a44351d2b68dedfc9606384e&language=en_US

& the App on PlayStore is called "USB Camera - Connect EasyCap or USB WebCam" made of ShenYao China. It's a free install, with the Pro version costing about $6.
    I have an old Samsung Galaxy SIII phone that I fished out of my retired phone cabinet & installed the app on for a small Pi Gaming System that I want to build.
    As far as the old phones actually are concerned, there are sources online for reprogramming those, or for taking them apart & finding ways to utilize the LCD Screens, when salvagable, & etc. There's a YouTube Channel titled "BreadBoard", & that guy is really smart & helpful about salvaging LED & LCD Screens out of old Laptops. I have 2 old Monitors, & 3 old Laptops, that I pulled apart & researched the screens within them, getting the part numbers & figuring out if they're 1 channel 6 bit 30 pin, or 2 channel 8 bit 40 pin screens, & as well found Controller Boards & cables for them. To refurbish an old LCD Screen or Monitor with case runs about $30 in parts, including a replacement Power Supply if you need that.

All in all, the Raspberry Pi supposedly makes for a great little Gaming Console.
    I'm still researching it.

Cheers!!
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    That would be awesome!

I have a Raspberry Pi as well and have used it a few times for gaming.
    My favorite is DOSBox games! Though I've had a few issues with fullscreen.

Since then I have reformatted and re-installed Raspberrian OS and need to spend a bit of time playing with it.

I would love to have some emulators running on it:
    • Playstation 1
    • Super Nintendo
    • Nintendo 64
    I was also thinking of getting this PipBoy and trying to install a Raspberry Pi in it with a tiny touchscreen.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J5R5CS/

2021-10-25_8-26-08.png