1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bioshock Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jun 30, 2013.

• by booman, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Bioshock was one of the first games to use the Art Deco architecture and themes from the 20's, also included many elements from their classic games System Shock 1 & 2. Even today Bioshock can compete graphically with modern games and engines.

But will it run in Linux with all the same graphical capabilities and a playable frame rate?

Follow this step-by-step guide on installing and configuring Bioshock to run in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the downloaded version of Bioshock. Retail and Steam versions may require additional steps.

bioshock32a.png

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual:
    PlayOnLinux Explained

Launch PlayOnLinux
    bioshock01.png

Click the Install button
    bioshock02.png

Search for Bioshock
    Click Install
    bioshock03.png

Welcome
    Click Next
    bioshock04.png

PlayOnLinux Wizard
    bioshock05.png

Automatically Configuring Wine

Note: PlayOnLinux may automatically download Wine 1.4 and Gecko. I didn't have to because it is already installed on my machine.
    bioshock06.png

DirectX
    PlayOnLinux will install the correct version of DirectX for Bioshock
    bioshock07.png

Registering Libraries
    bioshock08.png

Dot NET Framework
    PlayOnLinux will install the correct versions of Dot NET Framework
    bioshock09.png

Visual C
    PlayOnLinux will install the correct version of Visual C
    bioshock10.png

Installation Method

I downloaded Bioshock from Amazon so I will be using the "setup file" method. If you have the CD ROM, DVD version, or Steam version... use the appropriate option.

Click Next
    bioshock11.png

Select Setup File
    Click Browse
    bioshock12.png

Navigate to the "Setup.exe" file where your download resides

Select "Setup.exe"
    Click Open
    bioshock13.png

Setup confirmation
    Click Next
    bioshock14.png

Note: Before Bioshock Wizard appeared, it was hidden behind a fullscreen image. Try Alt+Tab to maximize it so you can continue.

Installing Bioshock

Installer language
    Click Ok

Welcome to Bioshock Setup Wizard
    Click Next

License Agreement
    Select "I accept the terms..."
    Click Next

Install location
    Leave the default directory
    Click Install

Successful install
    Click Next

Complete

Uncheck Show Readme
    Click Finish
    bioshock22.png

Note: Usually PlayOnLinux asks you to make a shortcut but it didn't this time, so I didn't include those steps.

Allow PlayOnLinux to finish

Go to PlayOnLinux
    Click Configure
    bioshock23.png

Miscellaneous Tab
    Click the Mouse warp override menu
    Select Enable
    bioshock24.png

Wine Tab
    Select Windows Reboot
    bioshock26.png

Close Configure

Launching Bioshock

Select Bioshock
    Click Run
    bioshock23.png

Note: Bioshock will launch just fine and default to a resolution of 1024x768. I had problems setting a higher resolution because my Linux desktop resolution was higher. Try setting your desktop resolution first and then match it in Bioshock.

Conclusion:
    Bioshock ran beautifully. I was able to change resolutions and crank up the graphics settings with my GeForce 550 Ti. Everything worked in-game also. I could complete quests, find items, use weapons and Adam. If you ever have resolution problems try setting Wine to use a "virtual desktop" and set a basic resolution. Then launch Bioshock and make adjustments to the graphical setting.

Screenshots:
    bioshock27a.png

bioshock28a.png

bioshock29a.png

bioshock30a.png

bioshock31a.png

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. booman
    Screenshots:

bioshock27.png

bioshock28.png

bioshock29.png

bioshock30.png

bioshock31.png

bioshock32.png
  2. 014
    Hello! This will suit as my first post ever. I am about to attempt completing this guide coupled with your guide on organizing Steam games. As I'm sure most Steam gamers do, I have a backlog to play through. But I do play them! My plan is to play Bioshock 1 and 2 on easy since they're older. I want to get the story and feel of the first two games, then play Infinite on normal.
  3. 014
    Well, I can't get the game to work with your method posted here. I am tempted to resort to the PlayOnLinux built-in way of installing Bioshock with its own installation of Steam.
  4. booman
    Did the script work for you?
    I was able to play Bioshock with the above instructions, but Bioshock 2 still doesn't work because of "Games For Windows Live" DRM. I actually tried Bioshock 2 this week with newer Wine 1.7.26 and it still doesn't work.

I have not tried the organizing steam games tutorial. That actually wan't my guide, but a few have reported it does work. Lots of steps to follow, so you may have to try it again.
    I don't mind having a separate Steam install for each game. Some games can reside in the same virtual drive if they have the same requirements...
    Like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations. The both run fine in the same Steam installation in the same virtual drive.
  5. 014
    I did get it to work after more tinkering with the custom PlayOnLinux shortcuts. What was my problem? I had "Bioshock" as the virtual drive reference in the shortcut instead of the true "bioshock." The game worked after that, even launching from within Steam.

Funnily, I also installed the game in Windows 7 afterwards and it wouldn't launch!
  6. mrdeathjr28
    Its curious in my case works bioshock 1-2 however i have steam version (bioshock 2 works since them added minervas den dlc, with minerva den GFWL has removed*)

*other titles like as ultra street fighter dont have GFWL and capcom announce at begins 2015 GFWL be removed for dead rising 2 and resident evil 5

:)
  7. booman
    No way! So if you add the DLC for Bioshock 2, the GFWL is patched out? I gotta try that!
    Otherwise, I'm waiting for the publisher to release a patch that removed GFWL. I'll keep a watch out for it.
  8. booman
    Turns out I can activate Bioshock 2 retail on Steam: Bioshock 2
    2K then says that I should get Minerva's Den for free since I had previously purchased Bioshock 2.
    Trying this over the weekend and will test in Linux again.
    Thanks for the tips MrDeathJr!
  9. mrdeathjr28
    Exactly when 2k Games stay working in minervas den, them said when minervas den stay ready GFWL has been removed (free update for team users)

When you test bioshock 2 sometimes crash after 20 to 25 minutes of play (but this can be change depending wine version used and other things)

:)
  10. booman
    Check it out! I was right! Now I have Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den in Steam!

bioshock.png
  11. booman
    Yes! Bioshock 2 is working in PlayOnLinux now!
    Victory!

I will be testing it some more this weekend and making a video.
    Finally! Its taken so long due to Games For Windows Live.
    Now that GFWL is patched out in the Steam version, it runs!